Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM

59 posts, read 165,179 times

Advertisements

Well my husband and I are considering trying to transfer to South Jersey (his company also has jobs down there). What do people think of Maple Shade? Is it in a flood plain?

What about Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Evesham, Westampton, Eastampton, Cherry Hill and Mount Laurel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM

59 posts, read 165,179 times
I forgot to mention Mount Ephraim, NJ. I am mainly concerned about crime, but also flooding, and the feel of the community. Is is well cared for? Are the people nice?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinomelissa2 View Post
Well my husband and I are considering trying to transfer to South Jersey (his company also has jobs down there). What do people think of Maple Shade? Is it in a flood plain?

What about Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Evesham, Westampton, Eastampton, Cherry Hill and Mount Laurel?
All fine areas.. Maple shade is nice too but a bit cheaper but not quite as nice as the other areas.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
Maple Shade is a strictly blue collar town. Perfectly safe, but working class. Almost every other town mentioned is more white collar, so it gets a bad rep, but it is a fine place to live and has a nice little main street with thus a bit more character than some of the others mentioned. For some, MS is all they need. Others move up to more affluent areas.

I have never known it to flood, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I just posted this in another thread, but here goes...

Check out the NJ Department of Education website. They rank all towns socio-economically based on a scale. A(lowest), B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J(highest). The composite rank is based on factors like median income, education level, poverty, etc.

NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts

Overall this is a great way to compare towns quickly. Generally the higher the ranking the "nicer" (read more affluent) the town and the better the schools are. From your list:

Maple Shade = CD
Moorestown = I
Mt. Laurel = I
Evesham = I
Westampton = GH
Eastampton = FG
Cherry Hill = I
Mount Ephraim = CD

So, your list runs from the "low" end to the "high" end. It really isn't fair to compare towns like Moorestown and Cherry Hill to towns like Mount Ephraim and Maple Shade, they are very different.

It really comes down to what you are looking for and what you can afford. If you can afford a $600k house, then Moorestown is a great choice. If you can afford a $150k house than Maple Shade may not be a poor choice, it's all relative. So, think of a house budget and what's really important to you and we can help you narrow it down.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Probably should throw in Marlton as well.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Probably should throw in Marlton as well.
Marlton is part of Evesham. I would also throw in Voorhees, Cinnaminson and Delran.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,912 times
Check out also Haddon Heights and Bellmawr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia