Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2023, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,530 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate my family to NJ from NE Philly. We have all lived here our whole lives and our neighborhood was great, but has been slowly going downhill. We have 3 children and I recently (about a year ago) landed a new job that will allow us to leave (I can work from home). Now here’s the catch we are a mixed family black/white. We are hoping for a nice experience for our children even though I know I cannot shelter them from everything. That being said, I’m just looking for a nice friendly neighborhood ($300-400k) with good schools and affordable living (well who isn’t, right, lol). We will have one in each grade, my children are in charter school now, elementary, Middle, and one going to high school. Towns we have been looking at are all over, Woodbury, Sicklerville, Berlin, Haddonfield. I’ve been told the schools in Sicklervile at no good? Not really interested in Cherry hill because I have also been told (by residents) the area is very nice, but not in a way that is accepting?? Just what I have heard. Anyway any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 02:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Sicklerville and Woodbury would not be known for good schools. Berlin is so-so. Haddonfield is out of your price range. Cherry Hill is fine. I don’t think you would find it to be a town that is not accepting. I wouldn’t write it off. Similar towns like Voorhees, Marlton, and Mount Laurel should be on your list as well. However, the latest housing price surge means your budget will provide limited availability of home options. You should be able to find some choices though as opposed to Haddonfield (or Moorestown) likely being totally impossible. Maybe also look at Delran and Cinnaminson. Still pretty good towns and more affordable than the other ones I suggested.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,530 times
Thank you so much! Been a Philly girl most of my life and wasn’t sure what to look for or where to start. I’ll take a look at the other places as well. Thanks again

Old 02-27-2023, 06:24 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
Any reason you are not considering the suburbs in PA? The only good reason to move to NJ from Philly is if you work within the city limits and can thus deduct city wage tax on your income taxes. Otherwise it's worth staying in PA IMO. Real estate might be cheaper in NJ but property taxes will kill you.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:17 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I can't find the Frank from rowhouse hell in Philadelphia thread. He moved to Cinnaminson. He looked in a lot of towns and considered many things. He was happy with the schools, his neighbors, shopping, other amenities.

Leps is always spot on about Southern New Jersey.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:02 PM

12 posts, read 48,280 times
Default Sicklerville is a zip code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Sicklerville and Woodbury would not be known for good schools. Berlin is so-so. Haddonfield is out of your price range. Cherry Hill is fine. I don’t think you would find it to be a town that is not accepting. I wouldn’t write it off. Similar towns like Voorhees, Marlton, and Mount Laurel should be on your list as well. However, the latest housing price surge means your budget will provide limited availability of home options. You should be able to find some choices though as opposed to Haddonfield (or Moorestown) likely being totally impossible. Maybe also look at Delran and Cinnaminson. Still pretty good towns and more affordable than the other ones I suggested.
There's no such thing as the "Sicklerville" schools because Sicklerville is not a township- it's a zip code. If your zip code is 08081 (Sicklerville) you could either live in Winslow Township (Camden County), Gloucester Township (Camden County) or Washington Township (Gloucester County). To know what township a property is in, and what school system, you would need the address of the property. A good rule of thumb is that everything on the southeast side of Berlin Cross Keys Rd is Winslow Township, and the northwest side of Berlin Cross Keys Rd is Gloucester Township. The part that's Washington Township is a little further southwest and closer to Black Horse Pike and up Johnson Rd.

As for Berlin, there's a Berlin Township and a Berlin Borough, and they have separate school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia