Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The DRPA should seriously consider reopening Franklin Square station. It's a nice and convenient subway station to have given its close proximity to Chinatown and Old City.

http://njmonthly.com/downloads/4058/...d/IMG_1631.JPG
Franklin Square was fixed up & reopened for the Bicentennial. It was a bust. It didn't help that then mayor Frank Rizzo ruined the Bicentennial, but there wasn't enough usage to keep it open for rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,881,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Not graduate haha! This is my undergrad thesis. Since I am an honors student, I must complete a thesis to graduate *** laude, magna *** laude, or summa *** laude.
Hahaha C-D obscenity filters at work.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,017,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Franklin Square was fixed up & reopened for the Bicentennial. It was a bust. It didn't help that then mayor Frank Rizzo ruined the Bicentennial, but there wasn't enough usage to keep it open for rush hour.
In my opinion Philly doesn't have enough subway stations to not be utilizing all of them including the abandoned stations.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-14-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 11:14 PM

19 posts, read 33,720 times
So, this is a proposed line that's currently in the environmental study stage and could be running by 2019. - Glassboro-Camden Line

Bus rapid transit is also being studied for the Route 42 corridor - South Jersey Bus Rapid Transit (SJBRT) System

I'd look at the tracks running from Camden to Mount Holly. That was apparently a proposed line way back, but I hear Moorestown basically stopped it. I think they'd be more open to it now, given that walkable places on transit lines are where people are choosing to buy homes these days (I certainly did), and that the job market is improving in Center City (see: the awesome tech scene in general, and Comcast putting up a new building that'll provide like 2,000 new tech jobs).

Something else I'd strongly recommend looking into is the issue of coordination between all of the assets that currently exist. As it is now, the Riverline, PATCO, and Atlantic City line run as independent systems that know nothing about each other. They all run have different fare systems, and they don't really seem to coordinate with each other. From my perspective as a long time South Jersey resident, there seems to be little to no coordination between the systems, and transit literacy is very low here because of it (no common regional transit map, for instance, and little to no outreach or promotion of transit options; it's hard for people to learn what's out there). Factor in that NJ Transit busses have horrible hours and run very infrequently and you can find plenty to write about in terms of improving what's already out there.

Overall, there are tons of great resources about transit in Greater Philadelphia, including some good articles like this one specifically dealing with South Jersey transit - 3 Ways to Improve South Jersey Transit (and Lure Commuters Away From Cars) – Next City

Hope this helps!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM

203 posts, read 326,847 times
Its probably a good idea to factor in where freight is traveling as well. DVRPC has a good interactive map resource here:
PhillyFreightFinder 3.1

If you haven't already, look on Google Earth and click on their Rail layer. It is a good way to visualize where existing corridors are, even if they are not in use, or used for transit.

I have worked on a plan for the Philly region over the last few years. Starting with the existing system and proposed additions, I tried to uses existing ROWs to maximize connectivity and access for the whole region, while keeping the vision reasonable, and relatively cheap... that gets me to this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1M...it?usp=sharing
[satellite view on, Labels off for best viewing, click on lines for names]

That system includes an alignment for High Speed Rail from DC to NYC (route and track realignments). This is mostly proposed lines and a few that have been studied. Taking that design a few steps further would hinge on digging a rail tunnel under the Delaware River connecting Markets St, Phila to Market St Camden. With that one tunnel serving both the Market line (no long going to frankford) and the Patco line at the same time, the regional system can be optimized to look like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1M...it?usp=sharing
This would be my optimal system

This design consolidates redundant freight lines around center city, which clears several ROWs for transit and/or Schuylkill River trails/parks. I think this much of this could actually be build piecemeal in the next 35-50 years if the desire is there.

Use any of this that you like

Last edited by jasomm; 08-15-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
In my opinion Philly doesn't have enough subway stations to not be utilizing all of them including the abandoned stations.
It's not Philly's call. The station belongs to PATCO. I road the train when Franklin Square was open. Very few people used it.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,982,359 times
Still a work progress and mostly Philly but figured I would post as I updated it a bit

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...o.k2bFHU6_UMcc

though may reconsider the Blvd extension use of ROW (we had similar ideas in a sense) that jasomm posted

Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's not Philly's call. The station belongs to PATCO. I road the train when Franklin Square was open. Very few people used it.
It's a different time now. That area has changed a lot since 1979. Franklin Square station at least deserves a test run but knowing how incompetent the DRPA functions, it probably won't happen.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Still a work progress and mostly Philly but figured I would post as I updated it a bit

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...o.k2bFHU6_UMcc

though may reconsider the Blvd extension use of ROW (we had similar ideas in a sense) that jasomm posted
Just out of curiosity, what would be the estimated cost to complete all of those mass transit projects on your map design?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,982,359 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what would be the estimated cost to complete all of those mass transit projects on your map design?
Have zero idea but most of this uses existing row

imagine high and the Blvd extension would be high I am sure

a lot of the remainder exists but obviously comes with a cost

billions and billions I am sure

I would say I have about as much experience on this front as a fantasy football player but was sort of mindful of what exists and some flow. I would propose replacing the RR lines with shorter light rail hybrids maybe 3 or so car trains but faster headways with a few more stops closer to the core.

We have a god RR infrastructure and a lot of this acts to re-task this. Plus use the Pennsy cut and some trolly lines (maybe two car lines on these)

it would also use the 25th street viaduct - an area that could benefit as well as fairmont east and Lehigh. I looked for connections outside the core to allow for better connections.

Imagine a sort of more frequent line that ran from the main line through CC and up the Blvd. Or a KOP extended Norritown line that ran up to (via CC) Trenton as an example

I also think a loop with access to South Philly, U City, CC, the Art Museum etc.

This also extends the southern portion of the old 23 to connect to the Navy yard eventually

Uses a horseshoe loop west of CC through the west market business area (connecting with new Penn developments) further SW Philly and around and up the Delaware

The 23 street line would flow through CC up the Pennsy cut, up East Fairmont and back accross Lehigh connecting the BSL and MFL

lines on a map but some thought to them.

So thinking of existing RR lines

1. Exton/Thorndale (main line) to Blvd and Neshaminy Mall area (new portion)
2. KOP (new portion and get rid of the NHSL proposal) via Norristown and to Trenton
3. Wilmington to Doylestown
4. Media (would love to extend to WC) to Warminster
5. Airport to CH East
6. Cynwyd (extended to Manayunk) to Fox Chase (extended to Newtown if possible)
7. West Trenton to Newark DE

New stops would be places like the Zoo, North Philly, Spring Garden, Girard etc.

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-16-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia