Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,386 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to south jersey and have offers on two properties...one is in Haddon Heights and the other is in Barrington. Both have highly rated elementary schools and would attend Audubon High. We will probably be in the house for 2-5 years before we move so resale is high on our list. There is room to improve both houses and taxes are slightly less for the HH house.

I have a 4 year old so want family friendly area. We've been leaning towards HH but recently looked in Barrington as well.

What would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times
Haddon Heights has a quaint little main street on Station Ave which is nice, and it's a dry town, so it's about as family oriented as you can get I guess. In my travels I found HH came across as a bit nicer than Barrington, but both are a bit below the Haddon Avenue towns.

All other things being equal, I'd go with HH just on name recognition.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,332 times
I have never lived in Haddon Heights but I did an internship at the Haddon Heights School District a few years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with both areas. I'm a little confused by your post that your child would be attending Audubon High School? The high school for both Barrington and Haddon Heights is Haddon Heights High School, so no matter which area you chose it would be the same high school. Another thing to be aware of is the children of Lawnside attend Haddon Heights High School as well. So, the high school population is a mix of all three communities. At the elementary level Haddon Heights definitely has superior schools. Haddon Heights is generally middle class to upper middle class and the parents are very involved. Barrington is more working class to middle class families that are still fairly involved, but not generally at the level of Haddon Heights parents. The one thing I will say about Haddon Heights is it is a very close-knit town and the people tend to be cliquey. Many of the people living there grew up in the area and have lived there for generations. Sometimes I would get weird looks from people when I told them I grew up in Maryland. It was also well known at the time that one of the district principals strongly preferred to hire staff members who grew up in/lived in Haddon Heights. So, I definitely got the impression that the folks of Haddon Heights like to stick together. As I've stated, I have never lived there, but these were my general impressions having interned at the school district for a year.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM

110 posts, read 175,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlapsor View Post
We are relocating to south jersey and have offers on two properties...one is in Haddon Heights and the other is in Barrington. Both have highly rated elementary schools and would attend Audubon High. We will probably be in the house for 2-5 years before we move so resale is high on our list. There is room to improve both houses and taxes are slightly less for the HH house.

I have a 4 year old so want family friendly area. We've been leaning towards HH but recently looked in Barrington as well.

What would you choose?
Barrington and Haddon Heights both send their kids to Haddon Heights High School, though if you really wanted to you could do the school choice program and send your child to Audubon.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Haddon Heights also has a long beautiful park that goes through it. I can't imagine growing up in another town. Wonderful memories.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:05 PM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Either is fine. Lived in The Willows in Barrington for 4 years. Except the HS also gets kids from Lawnside which is not really a nice place. Of the three Haddons, Haddon Heights is the lowest rated high school which is likely because of this sending-receiving relationship. Not bad by any means though. I doubt Audubon is better.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Either is fine. Lived in The Willows in Barrington for 4 years. Except the HS also gets kids from Lawnside which is not really a nice place. Of the three Haddons, Haddon Heights is the lowest rated high school which is likely because of this sending-receiving relationship. Not bad by any means though. I doubt Audubon is better.
Lawnside is a historically black town. It's not a bad place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia