Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:31 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

I would like to bring my son up to visit the battleship New Jersey, but I'm worried about our safety. I'm very well aware of what Camden is (I used to live in Philadelphia, and it was horrible even back then), and I'm leery when I find out that I have to drive several blocks on Martin Luther King Blvd., then park in a garage located three blocks from the ship and walk the rest of the way. Oh, it says that they have a little lot on Clinton Street, but would it fill up before I got there?

Would I be risking our safety by visiting? Or do you think it would work out OK? Honest answers, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:37 AM

164 posts, read 432,987 times
Well, its a Battle Ship.. kind of puts it in perspective, if you will....

Last edited by Jerseykids2011; 09-06-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 12:17 PM

122 posts, read 202,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would like to bring my son up to visit the battleship New Jersey, but I'm worried about our safety. I'm very well aware of what Camden is (I used to live in Philadelphia, and it was horrible even back then), and I'm leery when I find out that I have to drive several blocks on Martin Luther King Blvd., then park in a garage located three blocks from the ship and walk the rest of the way. Oh, it says that they have a little lot on Clinton Street, but would it fill up before I got there?

Would I be risking our safety by visiting? Or do you think it would work out OK? Honest answers, please.
Go during the day. It will be totally safe. Just stay on the main streets and don't veer off many blocks into the wrong neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 20,909 times
Nothing to worry about, plenty of tourist foot traffic between the battleship and aquarium.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:51 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
You'll be fine. I'm an older wimpy looking female, and I've never had a problem on the waterfront. I've been to the Battleship NJ, a few concerts, the aquarium and a couple of baseball games. I've taken my elderly mother and my wide eyed, clueless sister a couple of times each. And my kid.

The county police don't want anything to happen at the attractions.

There are a lot of parking lots just behind the attractions. You might do better parking closer to the river a few blocks East.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
That battleship is definitely not an all day tour. We do the Aquarium, then walk down to the Battleship, then back up. Never felt unsafe as everyone is doing the same thing. And there are often large school groups as well.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Did you go yet? The suspense is killing me.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:28 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Did you go yet? The suspense is killing me.
Sorry to keep you in suspense. I'm looking at going towards the end of the month, when my son has a day off school so I'll need to take off work anyway. I'm encouraged by the responses on this thread. Maybe it won't be so bad after all.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Sorry to keep you in suspense. I'm looking at going towards the end of the month, when my son has a day off school so I'll need to take off work anyway. I'm encouraged by the responses on this thread. Maybe it won't be so bad after all.

You should be OK. We stayed overnight with the Cub Scouts, twice. BTW any adults who are going to stay overnight should go for a top bunk. You sleep in the actual bunks used by exhausted 18-year-olds in 1944, and they are not made for comfort!

They last time I went, with my younger son, was in late October 2008. I remember driving down MLK Boulevard in my Cub Scout leader uniform and with a McCain bumper sticker, thinking "please don't break down; please don't get a flat tire!" This was in broad daylight, and deep down I knew that if I did have a problem with the car I still would've been OK.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:43 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Did you go yet and is all well? No wrong turns I hope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia