Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 11,563 times

Advertisements

I might have to move to Temple University this coming Fall 2017. I will be moving there along with my wife and a 5-year-old. I was looking at different options and figured out that living in NJ suburbs of Philly is much more optimal.

I was hoping you all can help me out with few things that are very clear.

1. Is Kindergarten compulsory in NJ?

2. Do any ISDs offer free full-day kindergarten?

3. What would be the best areas for young families like us?

4. Expected housing costs?

5. Anything else that I need to worry about.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreddy View Post
I might have to move to Temple University this coming Fall 2017. I will be moving there along with my wife and a 5-year-old. I was looking at different options and figured out that living in NJ suburbs of Philly is much more optimal.

I was hoping you all can help me out with few things that are very clear.

1. Is Kindergarten compulsory in NJ?

2. Do any ISDs offer free full-day kindergarten?

3. What would be the best areas for young families like us?

4. Expected housing costs?

5. Anything else that I need to worry about.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
R
Would you be going to Temple as a student or faculty?

Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 AM

I will be going to temple as a graduate student.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times
3. I would start by suggesting Collingswood/Westmont/Haddonfield area. You can be located near the train into the city and be in a safe nice area.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasnj View Post
3. I would start by suggesting collingswood/westmont/haddonfield area. You can be located near the train into the city and be in a safe nice area.
thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM

122 posts, read 202,968 times
Kindergarten isn't compulsory. Full v. half-day varies by district. I know Collingswood has full day, but Haddonfield and Haddon Township have half-day programs (although both have some childcare option to pair with the half-day school program so you can get close to a full day of care). But there are plenty of other towns where you may want to live and options vary quite a bit.

I'd also recommend the PATCO towns (Collingswood, Haddon Township, or Haddonfield). Lots of young families, good schools, proximity to public transit, etc. I'm in Haddon Township and it feels like our street has another young family move in every couple of months. I would bet it is similar in Collingswood. Haddonfield skews a bit older because of the cost of living there.

Housing costs vary depending on whether you intend to rent or buy. I'd say for a family of three renting in towns like Collingswood or better, you'd need at least $1300/month. Premium type apartments (newer construction in a large complex) would run $2000/mo for a 2 bedroom unit. Purchase price varies a lot depending on the town. Average "starter" homes in Collingswood and Haddon Township run around $230k-ish and up, plus at least $6k/yr in taxes.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreddy View Post
I will be going to temple as a graduate student.
Have you checked to see if living in South Jersey will have an effect on your tuition?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you checked to see if living in South Jersey will have an effect on your tuition?
That's a good point. I would need to check that.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by withasigh View Post
Kindergarten isn't compulsory. Full v. half-day varies by district. I know Collingswood has full day, but Haddonfield and Haddon Township have half-day programs (although both have some childcare option to pair with the half-day school program so you can get close to a full day of care). But there are plenty of other towns where you may want to live and options vary quite a bit.

I'd also recommend the PATCO towns (Collingswood, Haddon Township, or Haddonfield). Lots of young families, good schools, proximity to public transit, etc. I'm in Haddon Township and it feels like our street has another young family move in every couple of months. I would bet it is similar in Collingswood. Haddonfield skews a bit older because of the cost of living there.

Housing costs vary depending on whether you intend to rent or buy. I'd say for a family of three renting in towns like Collingswood or better, you'd need at least $1300/month. Premium type apartments (newer construction in a large complex) would run $2000/mo for a 2 bedroom unit. Purchase price varies a lot depending on the town. Average "starter" homes in Collingswood and Haddon Township run around $230k-ish and up, plus at least $6k/yr in taxes.
Thanks a lot for the information. Being a student, I am trying to avoid the extra childcare cost. Hence, I would prefer areas with full-day kindergarten.

Collingswood's a good option for me.

Sorry to bug you, but, is there a way to find the list of school districts with full-day kindergarten?

I believe cherry hill, voorshe are half-day as well.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Full day isn't always very full. Different area, but my son's full day kindergarten was 5 hours--9:30 to 2:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia