Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 03:16 PM

25 posts, read 33,692 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have a job prospect in Philadelphia, PA and I'm thinking about relocating to New Jersey. I have family in Lakehurst, NJ so I would like to be near them (about a 30-minute car ride would be ideal). I am trying to identify areas between Lakehurst, NJ and Philadelphia along Route 70. I know about the options along the PATCO High speed line (i.e. Collingswood, Westmont, Cherry Hill, Haddonfiled, Voorhees). Do you know of any areas further East from these areas along or near route 70 which have access to public transportation to Philadelphia (NJ Transit Bus and/or Rail)? I think the furthest stop East on the PATCO line is Lindenwold Station.

I am also looking at areas around the Atlantic City Rail Line which is south of my target area but would consider. I am planning to rent initially. Rent budget is about 1,350/month for which I am hoping will allow me access to 2-bedroom apartment market.

Thanks -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
30 minutes to Lakehurst means a bad commute to Philly. I would prioritize having a closer commute to Philly since you will be doing that way more often than you will be going to Lakehurst.

Closer in suburbs in more desirable areas, especially the PATCO towns where you have easy train access, are not going to be easy to find 2 bedrooms for $1,350. If you really want the train access, you will likely have to pay more than that. You can find more options in your budget if you are willing to go further away from mass transit. You may find a few options within your budget, but check the reviews because there is a good chance that they may be dumpy places.

Along Route 70, Marlton and Medford could be good options to strike a balance between Philly and Lakehurst. But there are no trains nearby. You will have to drive to work or heck what buses are around. I don't have experience using those buses, but I'm sure that they are a lot less desirable options than the trains.

The AC Line runs nowhere near as often as PATCO, which is a major downside. To me it's not really so much a good commuter rail from the burbs to Philly as it is a shuttle train to get people between Philly and AC. But if you are willing to work with that, then check out Hammonton, where your budget will take you further. Quite a bit to do in the area as well if you are into nature, farms, wineries, etc.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
He's right. You need to live within a reasonable commute to a PATCO station.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 33,692 times
Thank you both - Leps12 and Gerania - for giving me this perspective. I see many who want to relocate to the PATCO areas ask about the school systems and Daycare. My kids are grown so I don't have those concerns. It's me and my wife. So, which of these PATCO areas are good for professional couples? I would like a quiet area but near city-like activities life cafés, restaurants, movie theater, shopping, etc. It doesn't have to be exactly like this. In fact I am going to check out all these towns anyway. Where should I start? Cherry Hill? I'll be driving into the area from the East (Lakehurst area) on route 70.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 AM

122 posts, read 202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie1 View Post
I would like a quiet area but near city-like activities life cafés, restaurants, movie theater, shopping, etc. It doesn't have to be exactly like this. In fact I am going to check out all these towns anyway. Where should I start? Cherry Hill? I'll be driving into the area from the East (Lakehurst area) on route 70.
There are plenty of treads about these towns, but the gist is that there are pre-war suburbs like Collingswood, Haddon Township, Haddonfield (and assorted others that aren't on the PATCO line but are like a 5-10 minute drive from the stations), then there are post-war, more car-centric suburbs like Cherry Hill. I'm generalizing here of course, but the point is that it would be best for you to go take a look at them and see for yourself. Some people really want that typical suburban feel of quiet neighborhoods with almost no traffic and don't mind driving a bit to do anything (and having a 5-10 minute longer longer PATCO ride from Woodcrest or Ashland Stations), and others would prefer to be in a denser town where you can walk to a more traditional downtown and have a shorter commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia