Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 09:53 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,791 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of housing flips happening in Mt. Holly. They just completely repaved and put new brick sidewalks on High street (main st). There's the nice new restaurant The Local. New pizza joint, Village Idiot brewery. Houses that have been empty for years are having work done on them. The Train Wreck distillery seems to be doing very well. And that giant old warehouse is currently being converted into swanky new loft apartments by "Mi Place" the same developers who just made all the new condos on the bypass..

I was actually just sitting down having a conversation with a young gentleman who's lived in Mt. Holly for years. He said he'd noticed there are a lot of younger "hipsters" moving into Mt. Holly its like a whole new dynamic of people coming in. This is the same thing that happened in run down areas in brooklyn.. hipsters moved in and the big developers followed.

I've also been hearing a lot of the military guys are starting to rent in Mt. Holly as its close enough to the base, has places to get a drink with a little night life, and is very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 09:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Hard to say. The past couple of times that I have passed through the area on weekend mornings over the past couple of years, I did not see many people at all walking around downtown. Seemed pretty deserted, despite the vacancy rate of storefronts/restaurants being quite low. Last time I passed through, they were still doing heavy roadwork on those sidewalks. Maybe that had something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

Part of me wants to say that you should trust the opinion of the person who lives there, but then again, people can also be overly optimistic and awash with hometown pride that they see things through rose-colored glasses when the reality is not quite what they perceive.

It would be great if it is true. Mount Holly is a very unique and charming looking place with character. However, at the same time, it is hard for me to believe certain things about this. Mount Holly is kind of far removed from Philadelphia, and typically, towns that have revitalized mostly have one thing in common: easy access to the core city of their region. I do not think Fort Dix alone is substantial enough to anchor down a revitalization in Mount Holly.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,907 times
They are building/adapting warehouse lofts there, that could be read as a sign the town is on an uptick. I always thought it had much nicer architecture than most SJ towns. As noted above though, it's not really convenient to Philadelphia for commuting. If you worked in Mt. Laurel or Cherry Hill it wouldn't be too bad though.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:53 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,791 times
I'm not saying it'll ever be Collingswood where a townhouse goes for $350k+.. But you can buy houses there now for $125,000-$150,000.. is it crazy to think they could be worth $220,000+ in a few years? As they fix up some of the run down places rents will go up, should drive the riffraff out of the town which will only increase prices and help the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia