Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 48,304 times

Advertisements

I own a Heritage Residential-built home in Wiltons Corner that was finished in May of 2004. The front door consists of a single entry door with two sidelights and a transom on the top. Within two years the mullions (wood trim on each side of the entry door) were starting to pull apart and deteriorate. We had planned on selling but one thing led to another and we didn't. I had a handyman bang the thing back together, caulk, prime and repaint. The trim is starting to deteriorate again so I went out a couple of weekends ago to sand off the old paint, caulk, prime and paint again, but now I see that the wood had actually rotted through, the door jam is starting to rot, and water is actually starting to penetrate into the inside of the house at the bottom.

I suspect that the door was installed incorrectly but won't be able to prove it until the old door is removed. The current frame requires a custom-size door, and I doubt that the builder bought custom for these homes. I think that the openings were not framed correctly, which allowed water to penetrate down from the top. Now I have to spend 5K replacing the thing.

I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few front doors with peeling paint, etc, both in the Heritage built homes and the THP-built homes, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. No one should have to replace a front door due to rot after just four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 123,982 times
Default improving poor-quality entryway installations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrey71 View Post
I own a Heritage Residential-built home in Wiltons Corner that was finished in May of 2004. The front door consists of a single entry door with two sidelights and a transom on the top. Within two years the mullions (wood trim on each side of the entry door) were starting to pull apart and deteriorate. We had planned on selling but one thing led to another and we didn't. I had a handyman bang the thing back together, caulk, prime and repaint. The trim is starting to deteriorate again so I went out a couple of weekends ago to sand off the old paint, caulk, prime and paint again, but now I see that the wood had actually rotted through, the door jam is starting to rot, and water is actually starting to penetrate into the inside of the house at the bottom.

I suspect that the door was installed incorrectly but won't be able to prove it until the old door is removed. The current frame requires a custom-size door, and I doubt that the builder bought custom for these homes. I think that the openings were not framed correctly, which allowed water to penetrate down from the top. Now I have to spend 5K replacing the thing.

I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few front doors with peeling paint, etc, both in the Heritage built homes and the THP-built homes, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. No one should have to replace a front door due to rot after just four years.
There are a LOT of poor-workmanship-quality installs of front doors done, not just by those builders but all around the country. In my line of work I hear about them every day. They show up in areas that get moisture and temperature extremes, which cause the wood parts to expand and ontract and separate, and then the caulk comes loose, water gets in and it all goes downhill from there.

Some remodeling contractors know to use penetrating epoxy treatments on the new wood, and then caulk, so the caulk can stay stuck to the wood even though the separate wood pieces move around with age and the seasons. People who restore antique and classic wood boats know about that, and that's how they do it. You can search the antique and classic wood boat forums such as the Chris-Craft forum, or the Wooden Boat Forum, and that's what you will learn.

If it holds up ten years on a boat, it will hold up thirty years (in my opinion), on an entryway.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,040 times
Default that stinks

I'm in Wilton's Corner in a THP home, also for about 4 years. I haven't heard any of my neighbors talking about problems with their doors and I haven't had any trouble with mine. Good luck to you!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 AM

12 posts, read 48,304 times
Default I just had the door replaced...

So I just had the front door replaced to the tune of five grand, which doesn't even get me that great of a door, but at least it looks a lot better than the original. When the guys pulled the old door out you could see all the damage from the leakage. Luckily I got to it before the framing at the bottom rotted. Turns out my homeowners' insurance is going to pick up most of the cost. On the new door I paid for vinyl capping so hopefully I won't have this problem again, and I also added a storm door.

I had mentioned in the last post that I don't think the carpenters framed the opening properly, but now I see what the issue was....the old door was a standard size, but the transom had been either custom or cut down....it was shorter than standard. The leakage came down from the transom, and also in from the shot mullions on the sides. What a mess. The new door had a standard transom, so the replacement door had to be shorter than standard. Good thing I don't have any friends coming to visit me who are over 6' 4".

Last edited by pfrey71; 06-25-2008 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
OBROYI also have the same problem with my front door were the trim is rotten and the caulk is coming apart saperating the wood. This also is occuring at the trim by the garage doors Another problem I is with the Tub whicn was not visible at inspection because it was cover with paint that is used for bath tubsWhen the builder was informed they sent a contractor to look at the problem who confirm that the problem was the builders fault. They have refused to fix or replace it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia