Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2024, 05:57 PM

24 posts, read 16,856 times

Advertisements

Please name some family friendly towns in Camden County / Burlington County, with good amenities?

Such as good shopping / "downtown main street" sections / good schools / places to go on a date night etc?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 03:52 PM

There must be none of these towns in NJ, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM2017 View Post
Please name some family friendly towns in Camden County / Burlington County, with good amenities?

Such as good shopping / "downtown main street" sections / good schools / places to go on a date night etc?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2024, 04:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
  • Good Shopping- Mostly defined by major chain stores, big box, supermarkets, etc. Some of the vibrant downtowns listed below have a good local store/boutique shopping element, but not all, as some are just more dining focused. That said, there also a lot of vacant storefronts to be found as well, but the towns below still have plenty enough to satisfy your everyday needs.
    • Camden County- Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Berlin, Haddonfield
    • Burlington County- Marlton, Mount Laurel, Moorestown, Cinnaminson, Delran
  • Vibrant Downtown- There are a good number of towns in South Jersey with downtowns; however, most are not that vibrant, and some are really quite sad and deserted. I am only listing the good ones here. This is my opinion, and I am viewing this from a North Jersey lens since that is where I have been living for the past 11 years, so my standards of what is "good" are higher, i.e. sorry, I don't consider the Moorestown downtown to be very happening.
    • Camden County- Haddonfield, Collingswood
    • Burlington County- Bordentown
  • Good Schools- There can be some debate over variances within some towns, like Cherry Hill East being considered better than Cherry Hill West for high school or how some elementary schools are considered better than others in a given town. No surprise here, it generally coordinates with income level. But some wealthier towns can end up sharing a high school with less wealthy towns, so you could have a great elementary school and middle school but an average high school. You have to do your research on this very carefully.
    • Camden County- Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Haddon Heights
    • Burlington County- Moorestown, Medford, Medford Lakes, Marlton, Mount Laurel, Riverton, Shamong, Tabernacle, Chesterfield, Westampton
  • Date Night- Generally going to define this as good dining options. You can easily Google other things like where the movie theaters are, etc. There are tons of chain restaurants and fast food around, but you can still easily sift through the muck and avoid them in lieu of better options. You can find 1 or 2 high quality restaurants in most towns even if they are not dining destinations per se like the ones listed below (ex: The Chop House in Gibbsboro), so feel free to explore around.
    • Camden County- Haddonfield, Collingswood, Haddon Township (Westmont section), Cherry Hill, Voorhees
    • Burlington County- Bordentown, Marlton, Mount Laurel, Moorestown

Old 01-11-2024, 07:03 AM

Thank you Leps12 - this is very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
  • Good Shopping- Mostly defined by major chain stores, big box, supermarkets, etc. Some of the vibrant downtowns listed below have a good local store/boutique shopping element, but not all, as some are just more dining focused. That said, there also a lot of vacant storefronts to be found as well, but the towns below still have plenty enough to satisfy your everyday needs.
    • Camden County- Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Berlin, Haddonfield
    • Burlington County- Marlton, Mount Laurel, Moorestown, Cinnaminson, Delran
  • Vibrant Downtown- There are a good number of towns in South Jersey with downtowns; however, most are not that vibrant, and some are really quite sad and deserted. I am only listing the good ones here. This is my opinion, and I am viewing this from a North Jersey lens since that is where I have been living for the past 11 years, so my standards of what is "good" are higher, i.e. sorry, I don't consider the Moorestown downtown to be very happening.
    • Camden County- Haddonfield, Collingswood
    • Burlington County- Bordentown
  • Good Schools- There can be some debate over variances within some towns, like Cherry Hill East being considered better than Cherry Hill West for high school or how some elementary schools are considered better than others in a given town. No surprise here, it generally coordinates with income level. But some wealthier towns can end up sharing a high school with less wealthy towns, so you could have a great elementary school and middle school but an average high school. You have to do your research on this very carefully.
    • Camden County- Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Haddon Heights
    • Burlington County- Moorestown, Medford, Medford Lakes, Marlton, Mount Laurel, Riverton, Shamong, Tabernacle, Chesterfield, Westampton
  • Date Night- Generally going to define this as good dining options. You can easily Google other things like where the movie theaters are, etc. There are tons of chain restaurants and fast food around, but you can still easily sift through the muck and avoid them in lieu of better options. You can find 1 or 2 high quality restaurants in most towns even if they are not dining destinations per se like the ones listed below (ex: The Chop House in Gibbsboro), so feel free to explore around.
    • Camden County- Haddonfield, Collingswood, Haddon Township (Westmont section), Cherry Hill, Voorhees
    • Burlington County- Bordentown, Marlton, Mount Laurel, Moorestown

Old 01-13-2024, 08:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
You're welcome. Not that you mentioned it, but in my opinion, where Camden County and Burlington County really shine in terms of "amenities" is on the parks and recreation front. So, it is great for families and kids because of lots of playgrounds, nature areas, access to the Pine Barrens especially around Shamong (Burlington County) and Hammonton (Atlantic County) where you can hike, canoe, kayak, fish, etc. Check out the scenic Blue Holes (but do not swim in them as it is illegal and a drowning risk). Freedom Park in Medford and Timber Creek Park in Blackwood are great, especially if you have a dog who likes to swim. Other great parks are Cooper River Park, Challenge Grove Park, Wallworth Park, Evans Pond, and Pennypacker Park. And there are great summer camp options in the area as well, and amusement parks like Digger Land and Big Kahuna's (water park) in Berlin and Clementon Park. There are other family fun centers/mini golf places, things like that; check out Funplex in Mount Laurel. If you are into wineries, there are quite a few around and in neighboring Atlantic County as well.

Long story short, lots of fun to be had May through September more or less when the weather is warmer; of course, they are also then competing with the Jersey Shore as well. But if you want to skip the trip, there are lake beaches to be found, like Atsion Lake in Shamong as one example. In the winter, it can feel kind of dreary and boring (outside of something like the Christmas marketplace thing they do in Haddonfield), but then again, most places are.

Also, a recommendation on a bit of an odd and unique attraction to check out in the area: Columbus Farmers Market; chief attraction among them there is the Amish section.

Last edited by Leps12; 01-13-2024 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-14-2024, 11:00 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^^You'll never run out of places to visit or things to do outside in Southern New Jersey.

https://southjerseytrails.org/trails-reviewed/

https://www.historicsmithville.com/

https://batstovillage.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia