Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,709 times

Advertisements

Here are some articles and photos. Gee, I wish my parents had taken me to Zaberer's!

In Another Time > Ed Zaberer created a restaurant landmark | In Another Time - History of The Wildwoods

Zaberer's Is Going, Going . . . North Wildwood's Landmark Restaurant Is On The Auction Block. But This Week, All You Shore Nostalgia Buffs Can Get Keepsakes From That Funky Decor. How About Tiffany Lamps? Stuffed Fish? A Reindeer Stable For Eight? -

https://www.google.com/search?q=zabe...w=1333&bih=607

Edwin Zaberer, 83, New Jersey Restaurateur - Sun Sentinel

Doo Wop Preservation League Forum - Wildwood, NJ - Zaberer's Memory Lane

What ever happened to Ed Zaberers

Ed Zaberer's World Famous Restaurant Wildwood, NJ
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,320 times
Default Zaberer's in the Off Season

I entered the U.S. Coast Guard at Cape May, NJ in June, 1958. Almost immediately, I fell in love with a girl from Pennsylvania, whose parents owned a summer home there. When the time came for me to meet her parents, they took me to Zaberer's for dinner. At first, I was very unimpressed by having to wait in line out of doors for more than an hour. By the conclusion of my meal, though, I decided it was worth the wait.

At the conclusion of my recruit training, I stayed on at Cape May, where I was the soloist in the Coast Guard Choir which was then operated from there. I had many occasions to dine at Zaberer's during the fall and winter months when - at that time - the restaurant remained in operation. They didn't have a great many customers, though, and those who did dine there, including myself, usually recieved royal treatment, which might include having Mr. Zaberer himself bring over a complimentary drink and sit down at the table with me (or, in some instances, US). He was an exceptionally handsome man with a wonderful personality, who really knew how to make his guests feel at home.

I literally shed tears when I learned that the restaurant had burned.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 8,216 times
There were two Zaberer's Restarants. The brothers, Charles, opened his own restaurant on the Black Horse Pike in McKey City, NJ. Ed opened his restaurant in Wildwood. There was a little sibling dispute/feud between the two. Charles used the slogan "Minutes Away." People would question his intensive use of lights. He believed that lights was one of the cheapest forms of security and protection. He was open all year round, except for Christmas.
Charlie Zaberer's restaurant was famous for his buffet (ex. Roman Buffet) and Zabererized drink. I will never forget that one of the strangest appetizers that was sold was frog legs. At one point he had to modify his famous Zabererized drink advertisement in order to comply with ABC rules. Eventually, he decided to close down the buffet because it was starting in interfere with his dinner restaurant portion of the day. Each weekend there would be lines of people coming from the Shore and local AC Racetrack to get in.
He was a very good artist. He often would use his artistic ability to post signs/messages in the work areas for his staff. Pinky Kravtz (radio celebrity) would broadcast weekly from the restaurant. He devised a sales tactic that help to draw customers. He would created the "Polar Bear" club. Special customers would have a special key that allowed them to enter from a special door into the restaurant. Therefore, these customers did not have to wait in the long lines to get into the restaurant.
Family member(s) were involved in the running of the business. His sister ran the gift shop. At the height of the popular restaurant, his two children were too young to be involved in the restaurant. His wife (Rita) and family lived in Northfield in the Tilton Village area. Each year he would award a employee a one year free lease of an auto (usually a Cadillac)

Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 11,573 times
Default Zaberer's now a Wawa

Wawa now stands at what was formerly Zaberer's in North Wildwood, also known as Anglesea!!

Last edited by nwbum9; 02-12-2014 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,270 times
I worked at Zaberer's in the summer of 1970 as a baker's helper, before heading to college that fall. I lived across the street with bunch of other kids who worked in different service businesses in Wildwood. The house was run by Zaberer's chef (Joe) and his wife. The guys were on one floor and the girls on another. I had Irish and south American roommates and one guy from Hong Kong. As I recall we had 5 or 6 guys to the room, so we each just had a bed and nothing else. It was a great way to earn some money and spend a summer. It was an education in many ways, and not just about the restaurant business!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,409 times
I remember Elaine the cocktail waitress who was there in the summer from California. Also, a bartender named Earl. In the kitchen, Reese and Herbie who were cooks.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
Default Loved going to Zaberer's!

We went in the Sixties. We lived in Berlin, Maryland and drove up through Delaware and took the Cape May-Lewes ferry over to the restaurant. The ferry ride was great – my parents almost always allowed us to invite friends to join us. Five kids, each with a couple of pals, plus my parents – quite a party! The restaurant was what we considered real fine dining. High end, we thought we were high society! It was always so packed and we'd wait a while but no one complained. I doubt if any place today can compare to that experience. I miss the ferry ride, my parents, the restaurant and my 13-year-old self! Thanks for letting me remember a terrific time from my youth. Marlene Dryden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia