Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:28 AM

2 posts, read 9,483 times

Advertisements

Well, my g/f beat me to writing to this post. All I can say, if you are serious about building there truly do your homework on all new construction. That's what we have done. So we knew what to come into for starting bid and work up from there. Other developments have different incentives, ex. lot upgrades, free upgrades or fixtures etc... Also calculate approx. square footage price to total cost. The builder was reluctant to lowering his price. We were fine with that, we would have just looked elsewhere. Finally we came on an agreeable price including some upgrades. Chesterfield community we looked at and it was like you were in a sardine can. No land compared to the price. The one thing that Borden Estates has is that they are energy efficient homes. What I mean by this, they have to go by a certain regimen on the houses to be in that Energy Star homes. Chesterfield is not in that group. So good luck on your shopping and good bidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 75,506 times
Default Thank you

hi,yeah even we guys r doing our homework...i totally agree with u when it comes to the lot size and energy efficient home.BTW which model did u choose?if you dont mind me asking how much you got it for?how was the negotiation?me and my husband are very poor in negotiating,we really dunno where to start...and congratulations to u and ur gf on signing a new house.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 9,483 times
We got the delaware court. Can't say how much right now since we are still in attorney review. Don't want to jinx it right now. lol
I can tell you that we went there in October of last year and they were all over 500k except for the Taylor. It wasn't till December we saw the Delaware Court in Realtor.com listed at 475k. I will tell you we did not pay that. Plus we got upgrades included with the sale. The negotiations went back and forth twice but they agreed to our last price which we offered. That's what I cared about the most. I wanted to finish it on my foot. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 75,506 times
Hey thanks.we guys are goin to the sales office this weekend to see if there is any change in the price.we guys are planing to make a decision this week.anyways thank you very much and hope we will be your neighbours.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 AM

23 posts, read 104,787 times
KEWLREKHA, did you buy in Borden estates or that area? Would love to discuss it more since we might consider that too, along with Stratford homes in Monroe by Hallmark Homes.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 AM
ksd

9 posts, read 55,274 times
I have read about your radon concern in many postings related to chesterfield.....i have been looking at new contruction homes in cheterfield by KHOV and american propertie ....when i questioned them about the radon issue ..they both siad that they have to go through a strict regimen and permissions from the state before they start building....if radon was a concern they would have not got permissions to build in the first place........is that true....

Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,929 times
If i am undertanding correctly KEWLREKHA and CALLYGMAN you are talking about Estates of Bordens Crossig ( new Construction) RIGHT???? If yes , do u guys know that there is a PRISON right behind the site ??? I was considering to buy there but am not sure what to do after this discovery .

Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanya View Post
Did anyone consider the fact that there is a prison behind the site ???????????????? I was considering to buy there till yesterdy night when my husband accidentally stumbelled across this issue???????????? Any comments or concerns
There's also a closed landfill not too far away, Trenton is about 10 miles to north, and Camden is about 20 miles to the south. This is New Jersey-if living close to these types of things bothers you that much you might want to consider another state. Even up here in pastoral small town High Bridge we're a stone's throw from the Annandale waste transfer station, Mountainview Correctional, Edna Mahan Women's Correctional, and Hagedorn Psychiatric Hospital, but from where we live if I never told you those things were there, you'd never know. We don't have escaped convicts running around or weird smells coming from the transfer station, so quite frankly I don't really care and neither do the other thousands of folks who live here.

When I was a kid I grew up across the creek from the prison-it's been there a very long time and it used to hold low level offenders (habitual drunk drivers, deadbeat dads, guys caught with a joint during a traffic stop, etc...) and it was a prison farm. When my dad was a kid a cow got loose and he managed to get a rope around it and brought it home (after it spooked and drug him through the woods for a while )-now they have juvenile offenders there and from what I understand it's a little more serious now (gang members, etc...), but unlike when I was a kid, no one seems to just "walk away" from the place anymore. When the place was minimum security guys would get out all the time and we'd hear the sirens-my mom would keep us all inside until the all clear was given. It doesn't happen anymore because they've beefed things up quite a bit.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksd View Post
I have read about your radon concern in many postings related to chesterfield.....i have been looking at new contruction homes in cheterfield by KHOV and american propertie ....when i questioned them about the radon issue ..they both siad that they have to go through a strict regimen and permissions from the state before they start building....if radon was a concern they would have not got permissions to build in the first place........is that true....
Absolutely false. The presence of radon doesn't prohibit construction anywhere, however, in certain areas that have been designated Tier 1 by the DEP due to high radon incidence new construction is required to have a complete "passive" system installed according to a strict 16 step protocol. In short........if they specifically told you they couldn't build there if radon was present they are either misinformed or lying. Bottom line is that ALL house have some radon.....it just needs to be below a certain level.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 AM

16 posts, read 99,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanya View Post
If i am undertanding correctly KEWLREKHA and CALLYGMAN you are talking about Estates of Bordens Crossig ( new Construction) RIGHT???? If yes , do u guys know that there is a PRISON right behind the site ??? I was considering to buy there but am not sure what to do after this discovery .
It's a juvenile detention center, not a full blown prison.

As a previous poster mentioned, this is central NJ. No matter where you choose you are going to find an element you may not be completely comfortable with. My parents have lived on an estate less than a mile from a minimum security prison for 15 years. If you have problems living near such things then I would recommend relocating to Middle-of-Nowhere, Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia