Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM

62 posts, read 220,801 times

Advertisements

My husband is trying to narrow down law schools and rutgers is one in the running; however, we have some reservations about living in Camden. I will probably work in Philly if we move there, so I'd prefer to use public transportation to get to work. I was looking in the area around rutgers- specifically lanning square. Do you know anything about this area? Or other areas that would be close to school?

Also, what is the real estate market like in Camden? We currently own and would like to purchase a home, mostly because we have two large dogs and it may be difficult finding a pet-friendly apartment.

Any info on neighborhoods, real estate market, average home price, public transportation, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also, way off topic, but is there any breed-specific legislation in Camden/new jersey? We have a pit bull mix and would not give her up for the world.

And...what kind of shock are we in for? I've only heard negative things of Camden. My husband is originally from palmyra, pa and I'm from Indiana and have only lived in Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
I would recommend Collingswood, Haddon Township, or Haddonfield. All are on the PATCO line which will give you easy access to Camden and Center City Philadelphia. They are all safe historic towns and are very walkable. Great places to live.

Port Authority Transit Corporation
Collingswood, New Jersey | Collingswood, New Jersey
Welcome to the Official Website of Haddon Township, New Jersey.
Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM

95 posts, read 521,258 times
Yes, if you can afford to not live in Camden, then by all means do not. I second Collingswood. My old roommate from college grew up (and still lives) there. It's only 5 minutes outside of Camden, and it's a very nice, safe, suburban town from what I saw.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneil View Post
Yes, if you can afford to not live in Camden, then by all means do not.
I agree, I would definitely advise against actually living in Camden. There are plenty of places to live in South Jersey within a reasonable distance to Camden and Philly (most have decent access to public transportation as well). However, you shouldn't be too worried about your husband going to school at Rutgers-Camden, the campus for the most part is fine, but once you get off campus is when it gets bad. If you really wanted to live in Camden, they recently built some nice lofts on the river basically on the campus, although I'm not sure how they'd feel about the two big dogs...

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM

62 posts, read 220,801 times
Awesome. I'll give these areas look.

If we do have to live in Camden for some reason, are there any particular areas to stay away from?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
In my opinion, I would stay away from most all of Camden, except parts of the waterfront. Why would you have to live there? There are nicer towns within minutes of Camden. Will you not have a car and only be able to rely on public transportation? If so, I would reevaluate and do what is necessary in order to get a car.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Yes, other than the college area, pretty much all of Camden is pretty bad, but I think that is partly because it is a pretty small city. Although I guess if you were really interested in real estate in Camden, you could probably purchase something very cheap (according to this site, the average house value is $77,500) and then hope the area gets revitalized a little bit.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
Stay away from Camden. Going to school at Rutgers is okay (I did it myself) but do not live there. It's a very bad and dangerous city.

I agree with others - Collingswood, Haddon Township (Westmont) or Cherry Hill would be great as they are nice areas with easy commute to Rutgers in Camden and Philadelphia via the PATCO High Speedline.

Let us know what else you are looking for - your budget, etc. and maybe we can give you more specific pointers.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katisu View Post

If we do have to live in Camden for some reason, are there any particular areas to stay away from?
Yes there are areas to stay away from in Camden. It is called Camden.
If you can avoid it do not move into Camden city limits. Simple as that.

I would agree with others to stay on a PATCO city area to open that option for you. (Westmont($$$), Collingswood($$), Haddonfield($$$$), and even through in there Lindenwold($$) area if you want)

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katisu View Post

If you want to see many pictures of Camden's streets, I'll point you to this invaluable resource:

The Delaware Valley Rhythm & Blues Society, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to Classic Rhythm & Blues Music, Local History, Community Service, & Senior Dog Adoption</font></b>

Here is a sample:

555 Chestnut Street, on the right, is a police headquarters. This is what a lot of Camden looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia