Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times

Advertisements

I just drove through willingboro and it didn't seem bad at all. No one was hanging on the corners and overall,I didn't see the bad element. I'm from Newark,so I wonder if that is clouding my judgement. Anyone lived in willingboro and newark could tell me the difference between the two? (I know one is a big city,the other a small suburban town)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I just drove through willingboro and it didn't seem bad at all. No one was hanging on the corners and overall,I didn't see the bad element. I'm from Newark,so I wonder if that is clouding my judgement. Anyone lived in willingboro and newark could tell me the difference between the two? (I know one is a big city,the other a small suburban town)
I haven't heard bad things about Willingboro, just the schools.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,496 times
I drove through there once or twice, didn't see anything wrong with the area, in fact it looks better than Burlington City and some other areas down Rt 130 as you get closer to Camden. Then again I can't remember if I actually got off 130, but it's the next town up from Delran. And then after that you hit the Burlington City/Twp mix. Burlington City seems kinda shady so maybe it has border problems?

A lot of black people live in Willingboro, but that doesn't make it a bad place.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
I don't think Willingboro is all that bad but I can tell you without a doubt that when I read in our paper about crime, it is mostly in Willingboro or Mt. Laurel. Without a doubt the crime is higher then the other areas around here

Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,085 times
A friend used to live there, he said the guy across the street was a drug dealer and had the best maintained home on the block. Didn't want to attract attention. And had the money to spend of course.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,856 times
Not as bad as newark, just not as nice as most places around it (to the south at least).

Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,592 times
Hello all, I was born in Newark and moved to Willingboro in 72 when I was eight. All my family still is in Newark so I go back and forth a lot. Willingboro has changed very much from the original times of the 60's when it was mostly white retired military staying there. In the early nineties is when all the change really happened when the township started renting houses and not selling houses. People from every city came to the "Boro" all at once it seemed. The element there now is like any other city you know of, drugs and crime. I moved out about ten years ago and visit my parents there all the time. The police there are very busy. I still remember sleeping at night with the front door wide open, thoses days days are long gone with people robing you in daylight with the door locked.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 AM

18,712 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Hey, as long as the drug dealer wants to fade into the background and keeps his house nice, what's the problem?
Growing up in Woodcrest, our next-door neighbor for several years was a prostitute working out of her house. She'd totter around on high heels in a leopard-print bikini, holding a drink, while workmen worked on her house for cash. She must have been beautiful at one point. Men would often park in front of our house so no one would see their car in front of MaryAnn's. Once, a guy was sidling up her driveway, and my two puppies ran up to him and grabbed his pants leg. He was pretty embarrassed to see a teenage girl run over to fetch the puppies.
On the other hand, the mailman was always really late coming from her house to ours.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 14,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlj11166 View Post
Hello all, I was born in Newark and moved to Willingboro in 72 when I was eight. All my family still is in Newark so I go back and forth a lot. Willingboro has changed very much from the original times of the 60's when it was mostly white retired military staying there. In the early nineties is when all the change really happened when the township started renting houses and not selling houses. People from every city came to the "Boro" all at once it seemed. The element there now is like any other city you know of, drugs and crime. I moved out about ten years ago and visit my parents there all the time. The police there are very busy. I still remember sleeping at night with the front door wide open, thoses days days are long gone with people robing you in daylight with the door locked.
This post is just dripping with racist buzzwords

"used to be mostly white"
"the change happened"
"the element"
"those days are long gone"

So let me translate this.

This neighborhood used to be great---lily white--- before they started letting black people move in. Then, once they got here, the white families started moving out, because racism, and more black families started moving in. It doesn't matter that the majority of them are hard working, law abiding families, the neighborhood has gone to the dogs now that there are black people there. The days of living in an all-white neighborhood where we wouldn't have to see blacks are long gone.

Fixed that for ya!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtoNJWriter View Post
This post is just dripping with racist buzzwords

"used to be mostly white"
"the change happened"
"the element"
"those days are long gone"

So let me translate this.

This neighborhood used to be great---lily white--- before they started letting black people move in. Then, once they got here, the white families started moving out, because racism, and more black families started moving in. It doesn't matter that the majority of them are hard working, law abiding families, the neighborhood has gone to the dogs now that there are black people there. The days of living in an all-white neighborhood where we wouldn't have to see blacks are long gone.

Fixed that for ya!

Black people were moving to Willingboro long before the 90s. By the 90s, the original owners were dying off or going into nursing homes. The same was happening in Cherry Hill. The difference was that in Cherry Hill the new arrivals who were not white were Asian.

Who's the racist in this case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia