Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yea , i hit my head on a DD. I didn't realize they have low ceilings....
I'm six foot one. I'm always hitting my head on things. Can't tell you how many times I've hit my head on the racks on the regular trains, getting up to leave half-awake when the train pulled into the station.

By the time I'm ready to retire I'm going to have dents in my skull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Just remember driving you'll hit all that traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel going in, too many ppl driving into Manhattan as it is, causes 40+ min delays at the Lincoln going in to NYC, and its not uncommon to be sitting for more than one hour in traffic. I've taken NJT buses plenty delayed by these fools driving into NY. I think the tolls should be $20 per car!
Stick with the train but maybe a different line or PATH, the NE Corridor is much faster, and PATH is cheap.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Just remember driving you'll hit all that traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel going in, too many ppl driving into Manhattan as it is, causes 40+ min delays at the Lincoln going in to NYC, and its not uncommon to be sitting for more than one hour in traffic. I've taken NJT buses plenty delayed by these fools driving into NY. I think the tolls should be $20 per car!
Stick with the train but maybe a different line or PATH, the NE Corridor is much faster, and PATH is cheap.
I don't commute for work this was a weekend pleasure trip into NY and it also depends on WHERE in NY i'm going as to what crossing I would take..when I visit son & his girlfriend I would use the Holland

Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I don't commute for work this was a weekend pleasure trip into NY and it also depends on WHERE in NY i'm going as to what crossing I would take..when I visit son & his girlfriend I would use the Holland
Weekends are the worst at the Lincoln, actually.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,131 times
I live near Dover and yes, NJ Transit will waste you time and money, especially with these latest fare hikes. 2 hours to Penn Station is absolutely ridiculous.

I suggest driving out to Harrison to take the PATH from that 97-year old station that they're talking about renovating sometime in the next few years. $7 parking across the street from the station, and $1.75 to get you to World Trade Center, or to Midtown after changing lines at Journal Sq.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyq8891 View Post
I live near Dover and yes, NJ Transit will waste you time and money, especially with these latest fare hikes. 2 hours to Penn Station is absolutely ridiculous.

I suggest driving out to Harrison to take the PATH from that 97-year old station that they're talking about renovating sometime in the next few years. $7 parking across the street from the station, and $1.75 to get you to World Trade Center, or to Midtown after changing lines at Journal Sq.
Yet , 130,000 ppl still use that line .......blame your slow corrupt politicians for the semi slow service. We should have had a faster then by now and larger western Jersey network but Politics and corruption killed that.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
Different strokes, I guess. In any city anywhere, outside of peak times driving yourself will almost always be faster, but the train has its advantages. It's certainly a lot less stressful and tiring.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 AM

248 posts, read 674,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Different strokes, I guess. In any city anywhere, outside of peak times driving yourself will almost always be faster, but the train has its advantages. It's certainly a lot less stressful and tiring.
Did you just bump a 4yr old thread to post this sage advice? Seriously?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 PM

289 posts, read 608,382 times
If I am going to NYC during weekend, and if I am travelling with a group of 2+ people or as a family of 4, driving to NYC makes the most sense. First, public transport is expensive (which has already been covered in this thread). Then, there is the issue of coming back from NYC. It is a nightmare to catch the train from Penn Station (NJ Transit)/ 33rd St (Path) or even Staten Island Ferry. The stations are really really crowded and hot (during summer).

I recall, a couple of times I have been to Penn station on weekend afternoons, they do not list the train platform till the last 5 minutes before departure. Then the entire crowd runs to board, if you have kids etc, you can forget about it. Another time I tried to board the Path at 3am at 33rd St on Sun Morning. The platform was so crowded, there were lines out of the turnstiles. I have had similar experience with Staten Island Ferry on Sat/Sun afternoons.

So, even with $20 to $30 parking, $35 tolls (NJTP + Tunnels) driving comes out a cheaper and more importantly more convenient, especially with kids. After a day on the roadtrip to NYC, the kids are tired and they can sleep comfortably in the back seat of the car even if you get stuck in traffic for 30 to 45 min. The trick is to start early, be in the city by 9am and try to leave by 3 or 4pm.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
NJ transit is quite reliable were I live. It takes me 1 hour at worst to reach home .

I don't rely too much on NJ transit train services outside the NEC and NJCL (as they take the geographically shortest route). Best to take the Bus, as its cheaper and faster. M & E is far too circuitous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey