Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Rail between Cape May & Atlantic City.

Stops in between would be (South-North):

Diamond Beach
Wildwood Crest
Wildwood
North Wildwood
Stone Harbor
Avalon
Sea Isle City
Ocean City
Margate City
Ventnor City

Maybe even the Cape May Courthouse too.

It'd be either Light Rail or that thing they proposed for the East End of Long Island using 2 cars on preexisting non electrified tracks (can't find the article).
It would have to be light rail, and it could work, but it would be a slow journey. Personally, I would like to see a light rail line between Atlantic City and Ocean City that follows in the tracks of the former Shore Fast Line (or something like that) going from A.C. through the mainland to Ocean City, then looping back to A.C. via the gardens, Longport, Margate, and Ventnor.

Personally, I would LOVE to see them start adding train service to South Jersey. Currently all we have is the slow and P.I.A. Atlantic City line and the River Line. A line I think would work, and the port authority is working on, but not doing right, is one from Philly, through Camden, Gloucester, Glassboro, Vineland, Millville, and Woodbine.

At Woodbine the line would join with another line that goes between Hammaton and Cape May. The trains coming from Philly via Glassboro would either travel to Cape May or they would split off and go to either Sea Isle or Ocean City. I'm saying Sea Isle or Ocean City, because the ROW to Sea Isle still exists kinda sorta and the Ocean City ROW has been built over. However, Ocean City is a more desirable destination. I would also suggest dedicated shuttles to the islands at stops corresponding with the island. So, for example, Rio Grande is where one would pick up the shuttle to the Wildwoods.

I'm basing these lines off of the old PRSL routes. For all of them the ROW still exists, with the exception of Woodbine to Ocean City, portions of Woodbine to Sea Isle, and the tracks have been removed between Woodbine and Millville, although the ROW is still there. I at least want to see the one completed to Millville, the Port Authority is screwing it up by not having through service to Philly or going to the population centers of Vineland and Millville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 02:41 PM

271 posts, read 417,380 times
I would love to see a train from paterson and seton hall to the airport

Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
I would love to see a train from paterson and seton hall to the airport
Although it's a slight direction reversal from South Orange, both lines change at Secaucus, with 2 stops to the airport.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Connect newark and hlbr ligh rail

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM

255 posts, read 536,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
It would have to be light rail, and it could work, but it would be a slow journey. Personally, I would like to see a light rail line between Atlantic City and Ocean City that follows in the tracks of the former Shore Fast Line (or something like that) going from A.C. through the mainland to Ocean City, then looping back to A.C. via the gardens, Longport, Margate, and Ventnor.

Personally, I would LOVE to see them start adding train service to South Jersey. Currently all we have is the slow and P.I.A. Atlantic City line and the River Line. A line I think would work, and the port authority is working on, but not doing right, is one from Philly, through Camden, Gloucester, Glassboro, Vineland, Millville, and Woodbine.

At Woodbine the line would join with another line that goes between Hammaton and Cape May. The trains coming from Philly via Glassboro would either travel to Cape May or they would split off and go to either Sea Isle or Ocean City. I'm saying Sea Isle or Ocean City, because the ROW to Sea Isle still exists kinda sorta and the Ocean City ROW has been built over. However, Ocean City is a more desirable destination. I would also suggest dedicated shuttles to the islands at stops corresponding with the island. So, for example, Rio Grande is where one would pick up the shuttle to the Wildwoods.

I'm basing these lines off of the old PRSL routes. For all of them the ROW still exists, with the exception of Woodbine to Ocean City, portions of Woodbine to Sea Isle, and the tracks have been removed between Woodbine and Millville, although the ROW is still there. I at least want to see the one completed to Millville, the Port Authority is screwing it up by not having through service to Philly or going to the population centers of Vineland and Millville.
"
I have childhood memories of the trolley from Longport to AC . It sported advertisements for "The Hydrangea Trail" . I remember the Shore Fast Line, too. I rode the trolley but not the SFL.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Connect newark and hlbr light rail
PATH connection to HBLR at Exchange Place, or NJT Newark Penn to Hoboken.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Run a cog railway from Orange Station up Northfield all the way into Livingston :-)

Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
"Essex County Empire?" That's a new one!

I'm not really sure what more people want from NJT. I know for sure we can't actually afford anything more. I think the MOM line is a good idea, but North Jersey seems pretty covered. I can't think of any area up north where it is more than a 15 minute ride to a train station. And even though MOM is good in theory, we plainly just can't afford it unless people want to be paying $25 one-way to their destination so we can afford all of these capital expenditures.

The reason "we" currently have a hard time paying for any mass transit projects is that there is no dedicated budget for this type of work. There is theoretically some kind of dedicated "Trust Fund" for transportation but there is no mechanism for funding it from anywhere other than general budget. And this situation pretty much guarantees that there is no money for capital construction.

NJ has the lowest gas tax in the tri state area. This situation makes driving cheaper and add a heavy burden on state roads. Many transit advocates would like to see a moderate increase in the gas tax dedicated to funding mas transit. This should also have an effect of taking cars of the road and making road maintenance cheaper. Once there is a dedicated source of funding for mass transit, it will probably be easier to get matching federal funds. Especially if the current governor is no longer in office.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM

362 posts, read 498,060 times
I was thinking about if the West Trenton line and the MOM line have any shot later on of being activated? Those two lines could relieve congestion on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast lines in Central Jersey.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
NJ has the lowest gas tax in the tri state area. This situation makes driving cheaper and add a heavy burden on state roads.
NJ also has a whole lot of toll roads.

Quote:
Many transit advocates would like to see a moderate increase in the gas tax dedicated to funding mas transit.
Maybe there should be a tax on transit to fund highways.

Quote:
This should also have an effect of taking cars of the road and making road maintenance cheaper.
No. In our climate there are two major factors affecting road maintenance: heavy vehicle (including transit bus) traffic and winter. A few passenger cars less won't help and could hurt (if they're replaced with heavier, non-road-tax-paying, buses)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey