Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:01 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in an apartment in Monmouth County and love it but I would like to buy a house and refuse to pay the taxes here. For about six months I've been looking at houses in SC and I've even gone there a few times to check out the area and do some research. I can live there for a fraction of the cost to live here but I'm having some second thoughts.

What I'm looking for is a large property in NJ, if I were to stay, at least (1) acre thats somewhat close to a major hwy (my boyfriend will have to commute one day a week to Newark) he doesn't mind driving two hours but anything more then that might be too much. We also want to be within a half hour of the beach, I live three minutes from there now and I don't want to go to far beacuse I really enjoy it.

Can anyone suggest a good town to look at in south jersey that would have everything we want but a lot less expensive then central & north? Schools and jobs are not an issue.

How are Egg Harbor, Hammonton, Whiting....? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 05:29 PM

741 posts, read 3,511,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
Hello,

I live in an apartment in Monmouth County and love it but I would like to buy a house and refuse to pay the taxes here. For about six months I've been looking at houses in SC and I've even gone there a few times to check out the area and do some research. I can live there for a fraction of the cost to live here but I'm having some second thoughts.

What I'm looking for is a large property in NJ, if I were to stay, at least (1) acre thats somewhat close to a major hwy (my boyfriend will have to commute one day a week to Newark) he doesn't mind driving two hours but anything more then that might be too much. We also want to be within a half hour of the beach, I live three minutes from there now and I don't want to go to far beacuse I really enjoy it.

Can anyone suggest a good town to look at in south jersey that would have everything we want but a lot less expensive then central & north? Schools and jobs are not an issue.

NJ is nothing but a big giant tax Haven't you heard we're all fleeing to NC, and SC. Check the NC threads. Good Luck

Old 08-10-2006, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 45,621 times
Quote:
Hello,

Well, at least you're looking to move to NC or SC. What ever you do, Don't move to Vegas lol It's almost at bad as NJ!

I'm originally from New Jersey (Born and raised) Just moved to Las Vegas three years ago.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM

63 posts, read 211,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
NJ is nothing but a big giant tax Haven't you heard we're all fleeing to NC, and SC. Check the NC threads. Good Luck
* waves hi to Patti*

I was gonna say the same darn thing!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Don't follow the herds to the south if it's not what you really want. If you want to make it in NJ, it may be tougher, but it's worth it if you think you will be happier there. The Carolinas are nice but they DEFINITELY aren't worth all the hype that's been going on about them lately.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:39 AM

63 posts, read 211,103 times
We are looking at homes in NC for $60k that come with an acre of land. The taxes are 10% of the value of your home. So a $60k home would have taxes of $600.00 a year.
There are the trade offs, you may have to pay for garbage removal, but there are places in Jersey with that, you have well water and septic. They've got homes with that in jersey too. (not every where in NC is well and septic, I'm reading that the water and sewer bills down there are alot higher though for city)
No place is perfect, it's a matter of affordability.
I've lived in Jersey my whole life and thought I'd stay here. But the house I've been renting for the last 10 yrs is being sold. I can only get approved for $60k due to finances. Unless I want to live in a Camden Crack house, I'm not living in Jersey.
So I'm looking south and seeing if I can get transferred so I can get out of the rent cycle and be a home owner.
Trust me, if your not one already and your trying to get started with this crazy house price thing going on, it's a lot harder then it looks.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Don't follow the herds to the south if it's not what you really want. If you want to make it in NJ, it may be tougher, but it's worth it if you think you will be happier there. The Carolinas are nice but they DEFINITELY aren't worth all the hype that's been going on about them lately.
It may be tougher? Lets see, they just raised my property tax 200.00 from 6 months ago. Reassesments are going strong now, that will raise property tax a couple thousand, and to top it off, Our wonderful Governer Corzine has cut a huge chunk of school funding and now the letter from my mayor says he's raising the property tax rate 12% to cover the school loss. I'm already paying $3.65 per $100.00 of assessed value. Happy? Who? Who's Happy? The days of being happy in NJ are over.

Last edited by FL little foot; 08-11-2006 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Thanks for all the advice but noone has to convince me that it's expensive here. The houses in my neighborhood have property taxes of $10,000 and up. I really like SC and I have been reading and writing threads on there for months but as I said I'm just considering moving to south jersey.

Can anyone give me info. about south jersey? What towns to stay away from? With an acre and a three bedroom house in lets say egg harbor or that area what price are we looking at? Taxes? I've been doing some searches on the internet but not much is coming up.

Someone mentioned NC and I was also going to consider that but we need to live within two hours or less of a major airport and I want to be within a half hour of the beach. So, where to go? Are there benefits of NC that SC does not have? Thanks again.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice but noone has to convince me that it's expensive here. The houses in my neighborhood have property taxes of $10,000 and up. I really like SC and I have been reading and writing threads on there for months but as I said I'm just considering moving to south jersey.

Can anyone give me info. about south jersey? What towns to stay away from? With an acre and a three bedroom house in lets say egg harbor or that area what price are we looking at? Taxes? I've been doing some searches on the internet but not much is coming up.

Someone mentioned NC and I was also going to consider that but we need to live within two hours or less of a major airport and I want to be within a half hour of the beach. So, where to go? Are there benefits of NC that SC does not have? Thanks again.
Tom's River, Brick township, Point Pleasant are great beach towns. Manahawkin is nice also, close to Long Beach Island where the beaches are beautiful. Property tax here in the south is still lower then Northern NJ, but are catching up fast. If you buy any property close to water whether it be the bay, or near the beach of course taxes are much more. South Jersey is going through a major reassment right now. Schools are good, try to avoid Barneget if you can. Lanoka Harbor is a nice town with low property tax because there is a Nuclear Power Plant based right there. They also have a good school system. I can't give you anymore info on towns further south then that. Little Egg Harbor is a beach town also, I think it's exit 57 on the PW. Sleepy town, but still affordable housing and again property tax is high. They also have a good school system.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:53 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Trust me, you only get what you pay for. With the influx of all the new people taxes and other costs will not stay down in the south. The schools, utilities, roads, etc., are already overburden. Taxes will not only go up but will have to play catch-up. Any savings in the south is only short lived.
However, NJ is the most expensive state to live in. Moving to south NJ would help. You may also consider parts of PA which are an easy run to the NJ shore.
If you insist on moving south I strongly urge you to get a short term lease before plunging into buying. Once you are here it is not so easy to leave. I have been here in NC for a year and half and have put my house on the market. For the first time I will lose money selling this house. BTW, I am saving about $4000 annually over living in PA and it is NOT worth it.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey