Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

i think many couples actually do make the decision to stay at home instead of work. tahiti makes good points though. but for many, staying at home is a very logical financial decision. what do do when they no longer need you at home is the tough part! we'll probably both work, maybe one scale back to p/t for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think many couples actually do make the decision to stay at home instead of work. tahiti makes good points though. but for many, staying at home is a very logical financial decision. what do do when they no longer need you at home is the tough part! we'll probably both work, maybe one scale back to p/t for a while.
I would argue STRONGLY that if you had the luxury of choosing when to work, do it when the kids are young, especially since there is no empirical evidence that a good quality daycare combined with loving parents is a detriment. As the mom of near-teens, NOW is the time that you want to be available to them after school, to keep an eye on them and head off any trouble. You've heard the saying "little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems"? Well, it's true!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I would argue STRONGLY that if you had the luxury of choosing when to work, do it when the kids are young, especially since there is no empirical evidence that a good quality daycare combined with loving parents is a detriment. As the mom of near-teens, NOW is the time that you want to be available to them after school, to keep an eye on them and head off any trouble. You've heard the saying "little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems"? Well, it's true!
You sound like my wife! This was what she was hitting me with 3-4 years ago. And I am beginning to conclude she was right.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM

284 posts, read 617,025 times
It was about 5 or 6 years ago, we paid around $2500 for 2 kids. It included extended hours from around 8:00 am to 6:30 pm, the center provided lunch, dinner and snacks. We always joked that it was like paying for a 3rd mortage. We are in Union County.

We know that we could get a nanny for less than that, but we opted not to have a nanny at the time.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,345 times
I am paying $780 for my 3y while we are in Jersey City. Now we move to Berkeley Heights and we pay $1145 for PreK and my friend pay $1300 for PreK in Summit. I have no family nearby so that I have to use before and after care. The hours are 7 to 6 and not included meals. My coworker look shocked when she hears how much I am paying for the childcare.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM

284 posts, read 617,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Crazy to pay that much for day care. Do the math and multiply that by each kid and see what these people are making. They say teachers make too much? Babysitting at 300 a kid per week? Wow, talk about a gig.
Well, you have the option to baby-sit. When my kids were in school, I looked into the possibility of a home-based day care provider to pick them up from school and look after them during the breaks, the woman charged $8/hr per kid and she could take a maximum of 8 kids, we would be on the waiting list. It was around 4 years ago.

If you were to compare teachers with babysitting, I would compare public school with private school. Currently many private schools are charging around $30K. Is it crazy? may be, but why are parents sending kids to private schools?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:20 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
DW's co-worker said he paid 1700/month in Hoboken

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
1700 in Hoboken is average. I was paying 1500/month for a 12 mo. and that's on the low end.

There were parents paying anything from 1500 to 2100/mo.

It didn't make sense for me to work when paying that kinda money in childcare so I'm taking time off from working until I either get a higher paying job or until my son goes to school so I can return to work parttime. Having children in the US is not easy on a dual income family.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Having children in the US is not easy on a dual income family.
I would say having children in NJ/NY metro area is not easy on a dual income family. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are both working and they even have 2 children. They live in Dallas, TX. They went to family childcare routine when their kids were infant. They only paid $35 a day. When kids turn 2, they send them to "expensive" Motessori preschool which ONLY costs them $900 per month including meals, and before/after care. In Jersey, the good Motessori needs waiting list for 2 years plus the tuition is more than 15000 a year and does not include after school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey