Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:01 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times

Advertisements

Disappointed that he only received two years in the slammer but it's better than getting to walk away, I guess.

One down and God knows how many more to go before we can (to paraprahrse that profile in leadership, Nancy Pelosi) "drain NJ's political swamp".

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/ny...06hoboken.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:03 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Yes he got two years but they gave Healy's aide Beldini 3 years for almost the same charges...she is free on bond while they appeal....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
this is basic sentencing right? i mean, there are guidelines based on the corruption charges as to how long they get. it's sad that we don't hold politicians more accountable. He'll get out in 2 years and be right back in the game.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
I don't understand why so many people want to torture others by locking them up in cages, while we the taxpayers have to pay for all that. After all the person lost his career, livelihood and standing in the community, for accepting a donation. It would make more sense just to have the politician deduct any donations they receive from their taxpayer funded salary in the first place. Then people wonder why we have high taxes. No one should have to be tortured for a non violent situation such as this.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 AM

lol. hilarious captne76. we have high taxes because we put corrupt politicians in jail? not because we have corrupt politicians?

he accepted a BRIBE. when are you people going to get these things through your head and stop supporting corruption?

he should have lost a lot more than 2 years of his life. when he gets out, 2:1 says he gets elected to office within 5 years.

i think politicians accepting bribes should be one of the highest offenses in this country as far as prison sentences go. then, maybe, we would be able to reduce the corrupt influences on them.

let's be honest, it's pretty hard for any of us to not be tempted by cutting corners, making more money, etc. it's easy to start justifying these things in our heads (like calling a bribe a donation) when we see how it gets us ahead. but at the end of the day, the people that make ethical decisions are the better people.

i also think if you've accepted a bribe you shouldn't be allowed to run for public office again - harsh, i know - but at least then idiots wouldn't be able to vote them in again.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM

912 posts, read 2,447,264 times
I agree. It's absolutely ridiculous that these people are serving time in prison. They should be made to pay the money back (even if it takes them their whole life), be subject to periodic financial audits and be barred from public employment or elected office for life.

Yes, they broke the law, but locking them up with rapists, murderers and drug dealers (at taxpayer cost) is pretty stupid, in my opinion. With few exceptions, in my view, one should only be locked up if his or her presence in the outside world represents a physical danger to themselves or others.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I agree. It's absolutely ridiculous that these people are serving time in prison. They should be made to pay the money back (even if it takes them their whole life), be subject to periodic financial audits and be barred from public employment or elected office for life.

Yes, they broke the law, but locking them up with rapists, murderers and drug dealers (at taxpayer cost) is pretty stupid, in my opinion. With few exceptions, in my view, one should only be locked up if his or her presence in the outside world represents a physical danger to themselves or others.
i understand this view, but paying the money back ($25,000 wouldn't take a lawyer his entire life to pay back) and being subject to financial audits (if you're committing fraud, usually audits do not uncover fraud anyways) isn't really a punishment. certainly be barred from public employment and elected office.

the point of prison in many cases is punishment - removing someone's freedom is a harsh punishment. making them pay a fine is hardly a punishment. it's bad enough as it is, if people didn't face the possibilities of jail, our politicians would be even more corrupt (can you even fathom that possibility lol).

i'd rather see drug dealers free than corrupt politicians free.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
If you have some money, let's say $25 or $25,000 or $25 million, and you want to give it to me or anyone else, why should that be illegal?

Besides that, taking away someone's life for 2 years is extreme enough.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
If you have some money, let's say $25 or $25,000 or $25 million, and you want to give it to me or anyone else, why should that be illegal?....
If you want, uh, "donations", start a charity or stand on the corner and panhandle.

Don't you think a state like NJ deserves honest public officials or is it just not in our nature to set the bar high?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
lol. hilarious captne76. we have high taxes because we put corrupt politicians in jail? not because we have corrupt politicians?

he accepted a BRIBE. when are you people going to get these things through your head and stop supporting corruption?
It's a capital offense in China. I agree that they shouldn't be allowed to run for office again though it's sad that there would need to be a law to prevent them from doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey