Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,039 times

Advertisements

The advice I need is for my job. I work for a non-profit which places international high school students with American host families for the academic year.

I need advice from those of you who are familiar with school districts. Do you know of districts who accept exchange students and/or would you recommend areas that you know to be good places for students to live?

Typical "Americana" types of towns...even smaller towns are great! There are many small towns listed in city-data...which is awesome! But, I need places that are small but offer pleasant surroundings, enough to keep students involved in activities and community; really the kind of place you would want your child to live if they were an exchange student.

Thanks so much for your help! I was born in NJ, but have not lived there since I was a child. I love it there and am looking forward to going home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 04:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
There's not many places in NJ that wouldn't fit the bill; it would be easier to list the places to stay away from. Camden and Trenton are probably the only cities I would completely avoid, as well as some of the small cities in the northeast (Newark, Paterson, etc.). I would look into schools near the shore (Monmouth and Ocean counties); what a fun area for a teen. Could also be good for kids interested in biology, as could Cape May. Suburbs near Trenton might have good trips into the state capital, for students interested in government. Towns near NYC might have better opportunities for students interested in business. Sussex county is known for agriculture. For history buffs, I would pick a 'burb in the Moorestown/Cherry Hill area, because of the proximity to Philly and perhaps even a trip to D.C. might be possible.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Gosh...thank you so much for putting such thought into your reply! :0) Want a part-time job? You'd be a great local coordinator!

Your suggestions for matching interests to regions is awesome!!! Your information has been extremely helpful to me as I am unfamiliar with the many of the details of the different areas!

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,192 times
I would think an area within an hour or so from NYC (or Philadelphia) would be ideal. I have many memories of taking the train into the city as a teenager to hang out with friends, go shopping, see 1/2 price Broadway shows, sightsee, etc.

The "Americana" towns you mention are ones that get mentioned here again and again for their family-friendliness, walkability, and links to NYC. The towns many people are looking for to raise their own families (myself included). We have pretty much decided on living in Westfield, largely based on the many helpful posts that I read here (do a search for Westfield or walkable) but other towns that are similar include Summit, Madison, Princeton, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Maplewood or for a bit more urban, Morristown, Hoboken or Montclair. I am sure there are many many more but the ones that I mention have walkable downtowns where the kids could meet up for a pizza , ice cream. All of these places have some degree of "charm"...for me the most charming ones are Westfield, Princeton, Madison, and Cranford.

I am originally from NJ and am moving back after 18 years. When I left I thought I'd never return, but I guess I've got NJ in my blood. It's very exciting, we can't wait!!! So are you moving back to NJ too?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:30 AM

I am on my way back to NJ also! My husband worked for a company in Kansas City for 11 years and we just purchased a franchise of the company in North Jersey. His office is in Mountain Lakes and he currently has an apartment in Morris Plains. My younger son and I are still in Kansas...we'll be moving to New Jersey at the end of the summer.

At least now I get to go back for visits...I love it there! I've been away since I was 7 years old, but it still feels like home!

Thanks for your reply and hopefully you will be home soon too!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 409,505 times
Consider Glen Ridge..... right next door to Montclair, on the train line to NYC, very small town. Gas lanterns light the streets, very walkable, very safe....lots of transplants from Europe. It's a very sophisticated Mayberry! And only 12 miles from NYC. You can look on the town website for school info and a photo tour.... www.glenridge.org, www.glenridgenj.org.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Oh my gosh! It looks beautiful and I have never heard of it! Hope the schools will accept exchange students because it looks like a wonderful place with amazing proximity to so many things! Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey