Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,562 times

Advertisements

I am looking at Wynnfield, Beacon hill townhomes to buy. What is your opinion on the communities?

Regarding school districts, are they better than old bridge/Parlin/Sayreville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,562 times
Bump

Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaj0nes View Post
Regarding school districts, are they better than old bridge/Parlin/Sayreville?
NO! Don't know about those townhouse communities, but I do know about certain "elements" that exist in Franklin and for that reason I would never consider living there.

Old Bridge and Sayreville are much better options. I have/had many friends and relatives in both. Old Bridge is quite large and very spread out. I grew up just outside and when living home had been in and out of there all the time. It's a nice mix of older established neighborhoods as well as many sections that are very rural with lots of nature all around. Its school district is so/so and many areas are in decline, but I know enough people there that it seems like if you live in one of the nicer areas in a solid neighborhood you'll do just fine.

Sayreville has taken a bad hit over the last decade. And while many parts of this town are still beautiful, many of the lower end sections have been hit hard with "transporting" from New Brunswick projects during the city's revitalization, particularly the Winding Wood apartment complex on Bordentown-Amboy Tpk, you want to stay away from there. It has a little "town", but there isn't much there except for a diner, which is good. Lots of bars and night clubs scattered about though. It's Bon Jovi's hometown. The same house here I think will be more expensive than in OB, but it is possible property value has been affected by many of the not as nice areas heading downhill. Lots of old industrial development pre-dating the modern suburb development throughout the 1960s. I remember the schools here were at the top of the list in the mid-1990s, but that definitely isn't the case now. Parlin is the nicest part of Sayreville, but some areas of Old Bridge use its zip code too. Taxes are the highest in the county. Based on that I don't think this is as good of a choice, but I'd take it over Franklin. OB is doable, depending on where of course.

Last edited by Whoelsebutcharles; 08-31-2010 at 10:38 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 20,410 times
Do not move to Franklin if you have school aged children. My aunt is a teacher in the schools there and she says it is horrible. A lot of gang activity. She says every year it gets worse and worse.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
ndsoccer is right. I wouldn't ever consider putting my kids in Franklin schools.

For the most part, education is what you make of it, and you have to parent your children on certain dangers that exist everywhere. I just don't believe in adding additional dangers into the mix.

There are many nice homes is Somerset/Franklin. That said, if I lived there and I could afford it, my kids would go to Rutgers Prep in Somerset, rather than the public schools.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
Is Franklin (township) school system really that bad? My coworker lived there for many years and the area he lives in seem very quiet/tranquil. Of course, that's not indicative of the school. He did mention that he wants to put his son in Rutgers Prep over the public schools.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Is Franklin (township) school system really that bad? My coworker lived there for many years and the area he lives in seem very quiet/tranquil. Of course, that's not indicative of the school. He did mention that he wants to put his son in Rutgers Prep over the public schools.
Most of Somerset is just that - quiet and tranquil and pretty. It's just that one little tiny bit of Franklin (bordering New Brunswick) that houses all the government subsidized (in every form) folks or renters that gives such a bad name to the town. Mostly b/c the township government (democrats)/education system (headed by democrats) caters to them instead of saying "enough is enough" and the stupid people keep on voting them back in.

I went to Prep and my kids are at Prep.

Loving every second of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey