Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTorNJ View Post
People who work their tails off all their life (to get a great education & then a job that pays well) are supposed to just support your kids in our school system?...who don't live in our town?? hahaha. How about you either: a) work on improving the school system in your own town (and paying the taxes or putting in the work to do it) - what a concept!! or b) lower your own personal standard of living and get an apartment (instead of a house, for example) in a district with a good school system. If you're too selfish to do either of these things, don't expect to milk off the efforts, education, and money of others who have worked hard for many years to actually earn it.
You don't have a clue, obviously. There is no such thing as improving your school system, you can only improve things for your own child/children. After all, education starts in the home.

A lot of people do work their tails off and schools start off good and 7 years down the road, take a nose dive. You can get involved all you want and you will not change your staff with tenure involved. Or maybe you'd rather see people quit their job and go on welfare in order to home school rather than send their children to another school and at least let the receiving district get some money for it. Let's see how much that costs.

People that don't care won't even bother with the school choice concept. People that do will and $$ follows the kid. No one wants to "milk" off of anyone. Let me rephrase, most that will look into this do not want to "milk" off of anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM

18 posts, read 29,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
You don't have a clue, obviously. There is no such thing as improving your school system, you can only improve things for your own child/children. After all, education starts in the home.

A lot of people do work their tails off and schools start off good and 7 years down the road, take a nose dive. You can get involved all you want and you will not change your staff with tenure involved. Or maybe you'd rather see people quit their job and go on welfare in order to home school rather than send their children to another school and at least let the receiving district get some money for it. Let's see how much that costs.

People that don't care won't even bother with the school choice concept. People that do will and $$ follows the kid. No one wants to "milk" off of anyone. Let me rephrase, most that will look into this do not want to "milk" off of anyone.
I live in eastern PA but feel this is relevant. I agree with the above fully because my wife always wanted to be a teacher but never could finish school to get it because 2 of our 3 kids ended up having disabilities (moderate autism, down syndrome+GI/eating problems) so we decided to cyber school our 7yr old who was already way bored in kindergarten.

Granted our situation (me working, her homemaker) is not what everyone can do but my wife spends 3-4 hours tops on his subjects and does all the required worksheets and reporting, teacher visits and online meeting, etc and even back when he was 4 she was playing school for hours on end and now he is in 3rd to 4th grade material instead of 1st grade where he would be languishing in public school mainly because Cyber lets you go as far as you want as long as your documenting and backing up all the work as per the state requirements. Anytime we have an opportunity outside of his cyber school we are constantly teaching him random things about anything, he just loves learning and constantly asking questions.

Obviously parental attention is sorely lacking probably for decades now, and just goes to show why higher income areas seem to care more about their kids reputation and skills than lower income areas. Of course this does not apply to everyone on either end but there is an obvious connection as I am sure most would agree.

Kids that want to learn will learn and kids that don't have anyone pushing them won't bottom line (teachers don't count because its starts at home then the teacher builds on that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey