Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM

54 posts, read 247,278 times

Advertisements

Helllo,

Last weekend i was driving from Iselin NJ to Inwood NY, and at the Geothals toll bridge i had to pay $ 8.00 for the toll to enter NY.

I just happend to ask the lady who was collecting toll, if there is any way to enter NY for free instead of paying $ 8.00 no matter where you enter from, Washington bridge, or lincon tunnle or this bridge and the answer was "There is a way but you just dont know how !!! ", but she refused to give me those directions.

it kind of shocked my at once and made me feel bad, that i have been giving away so much money in the tolls to NY- i usally drive there for pleasure on some weekends to NY and not for work, so it is not like i am time contraint.

is there really a way to drive from NJ to NY without paying the $ 8.00 toll ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymon View Post
Helllo,

Last weekend i was driving from Iselin NJ to Inwood NY, and at the Geothals toll bridge i had to pay $ 8.00 for the toll to enter NY.

I just happend to ask the lady who was collecting toll, if there is any way to enter NY for free instead of paying $ 8.00 no matter where you enter from, Washington bridge, or lincon tunnle or this bridge and the answer was "There is a way but you just dont know how !!! ", but she refused to give me those directions.

it kind of shocked my at once and made me feel bad, that i have been giving away so much money in the tolls to NY- i usally drive there for pleasure on some weekends to NY and not for work, so it is not like i am time contraint.

is there really a way to drive from NJ to NY without paying the $ 8.00 toll ?
Can't think of any. You have to cross either the channel or the river to get from New Jersey to New York, and all three Staten Island Bridges (Goethals, Outerbridge, Bayonne), the George Washington Bridge, and the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels are the only way to get across them. They are all Port Authority Bridges and you have to pay the toll going east.

I think she was just being a smartazz.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 AM

429 posts, read 931,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can't think of any. You have to cross either the channel or the river to get from New Jersey to New York, and all three Staten Island Bridges (Goethals, Outerbridge, Bayonne), the George Washington Bridge, and the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels are the only way to get across them. They are all Port Authority Bridges and you have to pay the toll going east.

I think she was just being a smartazz.
Unless I'm mistaken--I haven't actually taken it--the Dunn Memorial Bridge across the Hudson is not a toll bridge. Of course, you'd have to drive all the way up to Albany to take it, lol, which kind of negates your savings. Otherwise, if you cross the Hudson going eastbound, you've got to pay. The Bear Mountain Bridge is the first cheap one--it's only a dollar, but that's still 60 miles out of the way for you, lol.

Funny how they never charge folks to come to New Jersey via bridges and tunnels--they always charge you to leave it instead.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
If you want to pay 1 dollar instead of 8, you could head north up to the Bear Mountain Bridge, but you are more than offsetting the reduction in toll costs with increased gasoline consumption. Of course, if you want to cross the Hudson River for free, then you'll have to travel north to Albany NY, and cross on Rt 9. Then you can drive back down to Westchester on the Taconic. It will be a beautiful, scenic ride, and it will be free!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,917 times
I WISH there was a way to drive from NJ to NY for free. I travel to Long Island once a week for a chorus rehearsal, and if I go the "fast" way, it costs me $40 in gas and tolls. The best that I've been able to find is paying the $8 to go through staten island on the way there.. and if I want to avoid bridge tolls on the way back, I'll take the BQE to the Manhattan Bridge, cut through the city on Canal, and take the Holland Tunnel back to the Jersey side. Of course, then if you take the turnpike, it'll cost whatever it's going to cost to get down the turnpike for you (for me, exit 10: $4.25) -- but then I'm at least saving the $11 of the varrazzano. From there, I guess I could take 1 & 9 if I wanted to continue to go for free.

I have found, however, that the traffic involved with getting on the BQE ends up making me just pony up the $11 for the varrazano, but then taking the outerbridge so I don't have to hit the turnpike again.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
Unless I'm mistaken--I haven't actually taken it--the Dunn Memorial Bridge across the Hudson is not a toll bridge. Of course, you'd have to drive all the way up to Albany to take it, lol, which kind of negates your savings. Otherwise, if you cross the Hudson going eastbound, you've got to pay. The Bear Mountain Bridge is the first cheap one--it's only a dollar, but that's still 60 miles out of the way for you, lol.

Funny how they never charge folks to come to New Jersey via bridges and tunnels--they always charge you to leave it instead.
how else you gonna get people to come to this state? and how you gonna get them to stay? let em in free, charge em to leave!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
When I was a teen, riding in my cousin's car we used to cross using a ferry that ran parallel to the Goethals Bridge, the toll or fare for a car was 10 cents. Obviously, it's not there anymore. It ran from the foot of E Jersey St in Elizabeth across to the foot of Forest Ave in Staten Island.

Otherwise, yes, the directions given above are accurate.

Usually when I drive to LI I might do the entire trip for $6 round trip by taking any of the Hudson Port Authority crossings using EZ Pass off peak, i.e. Holland, Goethals, etc. On the way back I usually catch the LIE to the BQE and hop off at the Willy (Williamsburg Br). Cross lower Manhattan directly on Delancey then go one block over to the left onto Broome St directly into the Holland Tunnel and you're back in America, you've escaped, toll free. At that point it's the Skyway, if you're going further South take 1&9 down past EWR and get on the Pike there after avoiding most of the tolls, or continue either on 1&9 or I-78 at the EWR junction West to the GSP South.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post

My daughter's in college in Albany. I'll ask her to check out the Dunn Bridge situation. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey