Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 8,004 times

Advertisements

When I moved to New Jersey, I brought a windsurfer and a sunfish which I used to drop at LCYC yacht club at Canyon Lake, Texas. Now that I've moved to Mahwah, no one seems to know a lake near by big enough where I could drop both these items and teach my Fiancé how to sail. I'm also looking for a camp site where we could do this too. I’m desperate, any suggestions before this weekend???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Shadeae View Post
When I moved to New Jersey, I brought a windsurfer and a sunfish which I used to drop at LCYC yacht club at Canyon Lake, Texas. Now that I've moved to Mahwah, no one seems to know a lake near by big enough where I could drop both these items and teach my Fiancé how to sail. I'm also looking for a camp site where we could do this too. I’m desperate, any suggestions before this weekend???
You're in luck... I do exactly what you want to do. There are two very nice places I know of. Both very close to each other..

Spruce Run ... no power boats....lots of sailing,wind surfing, a sand beach and family camping facilities available....

Round Valley sail boat rental,, camping,,,another boat launch area...pwr boats limited to under 10 Hp, (for fishing)...folks also sailing and I've seen a few windsurfers also.

Both sites are water reserves...I've stood in chest deep water and and see my toes wiggle....ie...very clean.. Both places require permits, easy and not expensive. Also note if you're on a water craft you MUST have a life jacket at least with you on the boat etc. The park rangers do make the rounds to keep an eye on things in general and they will ticket you if no life jackets..

Great facilities....enjoy

Opps...not familiar with Mahwah...looked it it...that'll be a pretty good drive for you....

Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Here is a guide on NJ parks and Recreation-

http://njintouch.state.nj.us/travel/.../adventure.pdf

Diane G

Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM

156 posts, read 805,853 times
NJ is great for windsurfing. Here is most popular places:
Lakes Bay at Pleasantville - probably most famous spot, rated as one of ten best spots in US - Extreme Windsurfing
LBI - good but required weed fin, also has a lot of power boat traffic
Trixies - has a lot of power boat traffic
Sandy Hook - very shallow and crowded, park fee
Check out
iWindsurf.com - Home
Wind in the Head
Windsurfing New Jersey: Windsurf Website for Windsurfer in NJ

See you on water!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 AM

156 posts, read 805,853 times
Here is another good website on NJ windsurfing spots. New Jersey Windsurfing Sites
BTW: it's very nice summer for windsurfing so far, warm and windy.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,306 times
Round Valley might not be best for beginer. Not much shallow water. I'd look into Waywayanda and Swartswood too. Backside of the Hook is popular. If you want to see some pros, go there some fall day when it's blowing 20+ knots.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Shadeae View Post
Greenwood Lake. Plenty of boat launches located around the Lake. http://www.villageofgreenwoodlake.org/beach.html

Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Took you long enough. He's been waiting seven years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey