Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 AM

10 posts, read 32,337 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job they tell me is around Franklin Lakes, not far off of 287. I'd like to keep my commute to 30 minutes. Is even possible? How far out do we need to live to find a house in a safe neighboorhood with decent public schools and priced under $600k? Moving from northern Virginia. Any suggestions for New York off of 87? Do we look inside of outside of 287?

Thanks, I know there are plenty of questions in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 PM

277 posts, read 773,207 times
Sounds like a good situation to me. That stretch of 287 is virtually traffic fee and is within minutes of excellent towns and schools. Franklin Lakes itself is an upper class town with amazing homes/mansions, so I don't know if 600k will get you very far.

You should check out towns in Bergen County like Mahwah, Ramsey, Ridgewood. You can get something nice (not extraordinary) for 600k and they all have excellent schools and are within minutes of Franklin Lakes. You can also check out Suffern in Rockland County, NY. It borders NJ and is very convenient to 287

Old 07-02-2007, 05:20 AM

thank you for the advice

Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 PM

62 posts, read 233,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafamilyof4 View Post
I am looking at a job they tell me is around Franklin Lakes, not far off of 287. I'd like to keep my commute to 30 minutes. Is even possible? How far out do we need to live to find a house in a safe neighboorhood with decent public schools and priced under $600k? Moving from northern Virginia. Any suggestions for New York off of 87? Do we look inside of outside of 287?

Thanks, I know there are plenty of questions in this post.
We've been looking at that area... Nice towns are Wyckoff, Midland Park, Ridgewood, Pompton Lakes. Expensive, but nice areas.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 AM

99 posts, read 408,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundugrun View Post
We've been looking at that area... Nice towns are Wyckoff, Midland Park, Ridgewood, Pompton Lakes. Expensive, but nice areas.
I would take Pompton Lakes off that list, for a number of reasons incl taxes and schools. I'd say Ridgewood at that price range is limited at best. Oakland is a better bet than Pompton Lakes, but I'd choose Wyckoff before either Pompton Lakes or Oakland.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 AM

276 posts, read 1,458,153 times
It sounds like you don't need to be near the train station, so I'd say take Wyckoff over Ridgewood. Wyckoff is Ridgewood without the train. And honestly, even though I live in Ridgewood, I prefer Wyckoff and spend lots of time there. Wyckoff is a little less expensive than Ridgewood.

We just put our house on the market here for a little over 600,000, and it is small. 3 bed, 2 bath, no yard and very, very small living space. Even with the market the way it is, the prices here are ridiculous.

Also keep in mind that Ridgewood is the place to be for "keeping up with the Jones". It's not unusual for me to be at the park and hear moms comparing their husbands bonuses. Most new people in the town seem to work for banks like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan and they let you know how rich they are. It's a vocal minority in the town, but one that drives me crazy!

Edited to add Ramsey and Mahwah are really nice towns too!

Last edited by kristin1; 07-03-2007 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Quote:
How far out do we need to live to find a house in a safe neighboorhood with decent public schools and priced under $600k?
What size house, age of house, lot, etc. are you looking for ?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:30 AM

4 bed rooms, 2.5+ baths - we don't need much of a yard - it is the commute that concerns me. I now drive 12 miles and it takes me 30 minutes if I stop for coffee. I don't want to go past a 30 minute drive if possible. We have two children, boy 7 and gilr 10, so we want a neighborhood where there are other kids that will actually play with them and families that my wife can connect with.- my philosophy is if i don't spend hours on the road and my kids and wife are happy, then I am happy.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
All of these towns people have been mentioning are great I think: Wyckoff, Ridgewood, Franklin Lakes, Allendale, Ramsey, Midland Park, Oakland. You will find though that they all have very different personalities among other random differences. For example Oakland has no sewer service in the town (all septic).

Oakland, Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes go to two regional high schools and Franklin Lakes is split up (all of Wyckoff goes to Ramapo, all of Oakland goes to Indian Hills and half of Franklin Lakes go to each).

Look on realtor.com you will see no houses under ??? hundred thousand (not sure - maybe 600) in Franklin Lakes, whereas in Oakland has many houses 400 and under.

Some have train lines going through them which make them desirable for commuters (New Jersey Transit - Home to see which - Ridgewood, Ramsey at least, maybe Allendale?).

Have you visited any yet?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 31,678 times
Franklin Lakes is probably out of your price range. Take a look at Oakland, Wyckoff and perhaps Mahwah. You may be able to find something in Glen Rock or Ridgewood, but Ridgewood is pricey, and Glen Rock has very high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey