Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,119 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm considering moving into the Washington Heights Apartments in Bloomfield (address is 172 Washington St), but when I visited the area I was concerned it doesn't look too safe. The crime stats for the whole city don't look so bad, but this is the part of town very near East Orange... Does anyone know the area well enough to know how safe I and my car would be (I'd be parking off-street but in a basically unprotected parking lot at the apartments). Some other places I was considering were Hackensack, Hasbrouck Heights, Lodi, Clifton and New Milford, so if you know how this area compares to any of those cities that would be helpful too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 AM

16 posts, read 37,916 times
My sister lives about 1/2 mile from Bloomfield train station (Maolis St) and while the hood is relatively safe, the city's management is abysmal. Public schools are terrible and the government is corrupt and likely complicit in felonious activity. The city ripped out a number of old buildings for a public project and then abandoned the project when the money dried up; now there's craters for lots all over downtown. My sister calls it "Doomfield" or "Gloomfield." If you don't care about these matters, I think you'd be ok; the train doesn't run to the city on weekends (you need to go to Newark for that).

Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM

605 posts, read 2,146,879 times
Unfortunately, I don't think that Bloomfield is that great. I don't like going to dinner there, let alone live there. I don't feel safe in the downtown. It may just be me.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,932,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that Bloomfield is that great. I don't like going to dinner there, let alone live there. I don't feel safe in the downtown. It may just be me.
I agree. I lived there for 27 years. Left 14 years ago. When I do go back, I'm not sure how I ever lived there. The northern (Brookdale) section is still ok, but the southern side is a mess.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
I have never felt unsafe in Bloomfield. I often go to the Home Depot on Orange St. and the Stop & Shop supermarket on Franklin St. and never felt unsafe at all. I have also gone to a steakhouse off Bloomfield Ave. near downtown and it was pretty good.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:24 PM

143 posts, read 302,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have never felt unsafe in Bloomfield. I often go to the Home Depot on Orange St. and the Stop & Shop supermarket on Franklin St. and never felt unsafe at all. I have also gone to a steakhouse off Bloomfield Ave. near downtown and it was pretty good.

I don't feel it is too dangerous in the daytime, but I wouldn't want to walk around downtown at night.

You know how some towns like Jersey City seem to be "gentrifying". Bloomfield seems to be going in the opposite direction. Much of the downtown area looks AWFUL. Especially where they ripped out those buildings!

The funny thing is that the town honchos and landlords don't seem to know it. There is a "luxury" condo complex near the Home Depot. There are still 14 condos available. Nobody seems to want them. Duh? Is it because it looks so bad out there? If I was going to buy a luxury condo, I'd go to Montclair.

The high school is scary. I know someone who graduated from there a few years ago and said that it had gang members. She refers to it as her "hard-knock life" LOL! Considering how high the taxes are, the schools are terrible (at least the high school is). She was constantly harrassed by other girls, and she's hardly a tough chick. One girl stalked her because she actually talked to the other girl's boyfriend in the school halls.

It is obvious if you drive along Bloomfield Avenue in Bloomfield that the town is horrible and that nobody cares. Check cashing places, strip clubs, low class stores etc. Tacky. Parts of it look worse than Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. At least that part of Newark has some spirit!

By the way, near the Home Depot is a strip club, right next to a pre-school! I didn't think zoning laws allowed that???

Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't like that Stop and Shop anymore. One night I was there during that fair and one kid killed another one in the parking lot. I was there a couple of months ago and two female customers started to physically fight and/or scream at each other and the cops had to be called.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Oh, I forgot. I lived on Watsessing Street in Bloomfield for a few miserable months. If I walked outside in the evening to get to my car (a misery, had to park blocks away), I was constantly talked to by men. They didn't get rough or say anything nasty, but it made me very uncomfortable. Why don't men understand that women don't like that??? It just made me feel very vulnerable. I couldn't wait to move away from there!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
I don't feel it is too dangerous in the daytime, but I wouldn't want to walk around downtown at night.

You know how some towns like Jersey City seem to be "gentrifying". Bloomfield seems to be going in the opposite direction. Much of the downtown area looks AWFUL. Especially where they ripped out those buildings!

The funny thing is that the town honchos and landlords don't seem to know it. There is a "luxury" condo complex near the Home Depot. There are still 14 condos available. Nobody seems to want them. Duh? Is it because it looks so bad out there? If I was going to buy a luxury condo, I'd go to Montclair.

The high school is scary. I know someone who graduated from there a few years ago and said that it had gang members. She refers to it as her "hard-knock life" LOL! Considering how high the taxes are, the schools are terrible (at least the high school is). She was constantly harrassed by other girls, and she's hardly a tough chick. One girl stalked her because she actually talked to the other girl's boyfriend in the school halls.

It is obvious if you drive along Bloomfield Avenue in Bloomfield that the town is horrible and that nobody cares. Check cashing places, strip clubs, low class stores etc. Tacky. Parts of it look worse than Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. At least that part of Newark has some spirit!

By the way, near the Home Depot is a strip club, right next to a pre-school! I didn't think zoning laws allowed that???

I'm reading this and scratching my head trying to figure out what Bloomfield NJ your referencing. I live off Bloomfield ave and my daughter attends the H.S. What your referencing above concerning student activity, you will find in any public school including the gang activity. The difference in the "gang activity" instead their called cliques and clubs.

Downtown Bloomfield could be better and remember Bloomfield is surrounded by Newark and East Orange. The majority of the time when you read or hear about something happening in Bloomfield, that person committing the crime is NOT from Bloomfield. Yes, we have issues here, just as any other town. Now unless I missed something or the club is very hidden, I don't recall seeing a strip club on Bloomfield Ave, now off Orange street, sadly yes there is one. Check cashing places, heck you will find those all over NJ, why should Bloomfield be any different?

Last edited by blackandproud; 10-22-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 02:53 PM

143 posts, read 415,921 times
Unfortunately it is not a town I would recommend. I have wonderful memories there- my grandmother lived on Washington Ave. not far from the apartments decades ago. I still go back to visit her grave site yearly & the drive through downtown seems to be more and more depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey