Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM

596 posts, read 895,878 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I talked to people in Connecticut who I used to hang out with for the first time in years (I used to live there). When I told them that I now live in New Jersey, their response was, "That's too bad." They didn't go into any specifics, and I didn't ask. But I kind of guessed what they mean, like congestion or pollution or high tax or maybe the reality TV shows filmed in NJ.

Should the state even try to improve its image? Or do we not care?

I don't know what to feel about this. On one hand, I think I should be insulted, but on the other hand, I say to myself, "Who cares?"

Tell me; what should I feel?

Atsushi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
It's funny, when I think of Connecticut, I think of torturous traffic on I-95, horrible smog in the air, dirty old cities that I wouldn't want to set foot into with high taxes to boot, plus snobbery levels exceeding even NJ's. No thanks.

Personally, the NJ stuff doesn't bother me. I was at a training thing for a new job on Monday and Tuesday of this week and there were people there from across the country. I said I was from NJ during our introductions and the training coordinator who was running the presentation asked which part. I said the "Jersey Shore" area. I didn't appreciate being asked by three - yes, three - people at lunch if I "knew Snooki" but when I set them straight they seemed to be interested in visiting some of the nice areas of the state.

Some people don't really get where New Jersey is geographically, either. A lot of people associated it with New England. I told them that Northern NJ had more of a small town, suburban (but not quite New England) feel to it, I lived in a coastal, beach area more akin to parts of California (without the palm trees) and other areas such as southwest NJ were very rural. They were quite surprised about the whole description. Many people also felt that our ocean water, like Maine, was always too cold for swimming. One girl from California was shocked that I went swimming just last week and the water was still around 70-degrees.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hello,

I talked to people in Connecticut who I used to hang out with for the first time in years (I used to live there). When I told them that I now live in New Jersey, their response was, "That's too bad." They didn't go into any specifics, and I didn't ask. But I kind of guessed what they mean, like congestion or pollution or high tax or maybe the reality TV shows filmed in NJ.

Should the state even try to improve its image? Or do we not care?

I don't know what to feel about this. On one hand, I think I should be insulted, but on the other hand, I say to myself, "Who cares?"

Tell me; what should I feel?

Atsushi
It could also have to do with the reported levels of corruption, and our state's budget being "broken", I guess. I wouldn't take it too personally. It's not like you alone are responsible for these things. People could say "it's who YOU voted for", but when was the last time you saw a real choice in the voting booth ... locally OR nationally.

When it comes to what others might say to you (us), maybe you (we) should feel proud, in a way, that you (we) are able to cut the mustard in such a difficult place to live.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default NJ's best kept secrets hidden by her reputation

Never feel insulted.

Nj is like a political candidate being smeared by the opposing political party. Deal with the issues one at a time or just bask in the ignorance of close minded detractors. Never correct your opponent when they are making a mistake.

Appreciate the outside perspective to then address outstanding issues.

Consider yourself a NJ ambassador and speak up to those who will listen, ignore the close minded detractors. People see what they want to see. Their blindness is not your problem.

Most Nj residents are unaware of what Nj has to offer, you might want to start there as that is the origin of our reputation.

A reputation is earned through consistent effort or levied for profit.

Gerald Ford was portrayed by the media as clumsy and awkward. He was the captain of the University of Michigan football team. GWB was portrayed to be dumb as a rock yet he somehow qualified to fly a military jet.

The NJ electorate uses the same standards to choose a candidate each election cycle with the same traditional results that have earned us the same traditional reputation. About time to nationally and locally challenge
those sacred standards. Be careful of charlatans and novelty candidates.
We know how that can turn out.

You want diversity? The plentiful wild areas and animals of NJ are there for the enjoyment within and within minutes of even the largest cities.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I have the same view of Conn. as your friend has of New Jersey.Traffic,high taxes, polluted cities. I guess that makes it a push.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: