Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 AM

54 posts, read 44,191 times

Advertisements

Let me ask this question. This will help me the most.

I would like for people to simply name the three safest neighborhoods and three most dangerous neighborhoods in JC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
If you want to pay little as rent possible and safe neighborhood but willing to take longer time commuting or pay a whole lot more for fast transportation (Ferry), it will open up whole lot more towns.

For example, there is 1 bedroom in Fort Lee you can rent at older high rise condo built in 60s? 70s for 1300 which includes all util and you are stone throw away from Upper west nyc. In return you have longer commute.

Even in Edgewater there are studio that you can rent at 1500 at older high rise with all util included. You can pay about 250-300 a month and get ferry monthly to get you across the hudson river or take the bus service.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
want to pay little rent as possible and safe neighborhood ......when it comes to JC that statement is contradictory

Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM

576 posts, read 1,597,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
want to pay little rent as possible and safe neighborhood ......when it comes to jc that statement is contradictory
+1 njkate.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM

576 posts, read 1,597,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
77 Hudson/15 warren st area - totally safe. it's pretty much all yuppies, people passing through to commute to city, or white collar folks working in that are of jersey city (finance/IT of big banks). Many if not most of luxury condos have doorman and/or security guard. i think white collar crime (fraud) and drunk yuppies are probably the biggest crime here.
I think you have it mixed up with Hoboken. That area of Jersey City is mostly an older commuter crowd. At night the place is DEAD and I mean literally you could hear a pin drop.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofangels View Post

I would like for people to simply name the three safest neighborhoods and three most dangerous neighborhoods in JC?
The safest neighborhoods are also the most expensive. Newport, Paulus Hook, Exchange Place, etc etc. No surprises there.

You can search for which areas to avoid (discussed many times before) and decide for yourself. Either way, you're going to have to define a budget and then see what's the best you can do within that budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
want to pay little rent as possible and safe neighborhood ......when it comes to JC that statement is contradictory
Yes that's probably true for any city. In any state.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofangels View Post

What is the maximum in rent you can pay? Is it just you or do you have a family coming with you?

Coming from LA I am sure you know cheap rent doesn't equate with a safe area

Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
The area known as "Downtown Jersey City" is where you want to look. This is the entire area bound by I-78/NJ Turnpike extension. This area is broken into a handful of neighborhoods. Specifically, you'll want to look into any of the following neighborhoods: Grove Street, Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park, Paulus Hook, Harsimus Cove, Liberty Harbor, Exchange Place, Newport. In Craigslist, the neighborhood could be referred to as any one of those specific neighborhoods, or it could also be called just "Downtown Jersey City".

Old 10-22-2010, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 20,605 times
anyone have any thoughts on west bergen? we (my husband and 2 toddlers) just rented a place on woodlawn ave, right off of kennedy. i'm not at all familiar with the area, but the closest path is journal sq. please dont say it's terrible. please please please.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 56,274 times
It's as if there are two Jersey Cities. Down by the waterfront is beautiful, modern (or old but tastefully restored), expensive, and safe. Up the hill, around the Journal Square train station and stretching along Bergen Ave. towards Bayonne, is ugly, ancient, run down, and unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey