Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 AM

460 posts, read 3,547,541 times

Advertisements

Could use some feedback from anyone who's been there or has had loved ones there. Would like to get impressions of how the level of care was + administrative concerns mainly having to do with cost in omparison to other places. Also if anyone could tell me about any places on the internet that lists reviews of all nursing homes that would be great too. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:52 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times
Hi. I'm a licensed social worker specializing in gerontology. I'm not working now due to being very pregnant.

Anyway, I've spent a lot of time in nursing homes in my career. My best advice is to spend time at the nursing home. Talk to residents and families. See what residents are doing. Go there unannounced and walk around. If you look like you have a purpose, nobody should bother you. Are residents congregating in the waiting areas doing nothing? I hate that because it shows they aren't being stimulated. Does it smell?

Also, don't be fooled by fancy buildings and decor. Care Ones are probably the physically nicest ones around, but they are horrendous. Yes, there are chandeliers and fancy couches, but I've had clients have to beg to be taken to the bathroom, beg to be given their meds on time, etc. We call them h$ll holes. My clients couldn't care less about the fancy decor.

Go to Medicare's website. They have a listing with ratings. You could also ask about their latest evaluation. They should be honest with you.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Magic has given some great advice

Here is the State web site for some info too- Search Long Term Care Facilities in New Jersey

But nothing beats personal experience.

We are going through the same difficult search.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,939 times
Scare One or Care None and many other SNFs (skilled nursing facilities) are alike these days: updated, fancy with nice decor. It is the trend. Best bet is to do what above poster said. Visit the place and spend more than just 20 minutes. Hangout in the hallways, look to see how long a call-bell is responded to, checkout the food, the cleaniness of the bathrooms. Ask what is the patient to CNA ratio. Checkout the Medicare rating of the facility. Ask about the therapy schedules. I am an occupational therapist that works in these types of facilities. The company I work for owns Whiting Care Center. I believe that my company is one of the more ethical ones out there.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 AM

50,808 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I don't know that one, but I have worked in dozens of nursing homes in the past 15 years (I work as coverage, not full time in any one) and couldn't agree more with Magic78 - in my experience the fancier it looks, the worse it is, it means (to me, from what I've seen) they spend all their money on appearances rather than staff and residents. In my experience the big corporate ones are not good, they are very stingy with money spent staff and are usually understaffed with a lot of turnover. I don't care how good the food is or how nice the courtyard, if they don't have enough staff to take your loved one to the bathroom in time he/she will be miserable. Listen to Dsmgvr4 and find out their CNA to resident ratio, it is important.

In my experience, the homes run by religious institutions (like United Methodist Homes, of which there are some great ones in Jersey, or Lutheran Homes) tend to be better than the corporate ones, and no you do not have to be of the same religion or even religious at all to enter them.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM

460 posts, read 3,547,541 times
Thanks for the insight + all the advice so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey