Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 PM

43 posts, read 89,562 times

Advertisements

Me and my family (wife + 5 year old from Ca) are planning to visit Jersey city in December. I was going to buy my tickets today and all of a sudden the headlines hit about an out of control bedbug problem in your area.

It states that many planned tourists to NJ-NYC who have already paid for their ticket are cancelling their reservations.

What's the real story?

I can manage, but my concern is for my 5 year old.

Tell me something about the weather too? How about Snow?? frostbite!

Planned stay is from Dec 4th to Jan 5th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
There not really on our side , but there is at almost every major place in NYC. To be honest i have not run into them yet and hope not too. Don't panic , there are things you can to get rid of them if you get them and there not dangerous just a pest. Well the Average Temp in Dec is mid 20s , but it can be as low as -30F depending on if we get a Cold Blast form Canada or not. We do get Blizzards in late December , but that too varies on the Cold Blast form Canada. Sometimes we don't get anything at all except dry Cold Air for the whole month. Dress for very cold temps , cover everything including your face. If your toes are insulted then you won't get frost bite. A full month in the NYC region , thats pretty rare....

Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
The bedbugs and stinkbugs are two different gangs that frequent the area. The stinkbugs are a larger gang that's been known to shoot and kill if you look at them wrong. As far as the bedbugs they are known to only knife you if you look at them wrong. The bug police are trying to keep these gangs under control and several shootouts involving Raid have taken place with some gang members killed and some fleeing the scene. It is rumored that these gangs are regrouping and possibly combining so the police are discussing new tactics. My advise is your taking your life in your own hands if you visit the area. So wear a bullet proof vest and arm yourself with a can of raid, say three hailMarys, one our father,cross your fingers and maybe you will survive. Good luck you'll be fine.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 PM

43 posts, read 89,562 times
Default thanks

I haven't even stepped foot into the east coast and
JERSEY MAN is giving me some east coast sarcasm.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I know there has been a problem, but I highly doubt the hotels are not taking care of it. They had a thing on the Today show about how to inspect the room when you check in to make sure there aren't any, if you go to the Today show's website I'm sure you can find a link. I don't think there is any reason to panic and cancel a reservation. It;s not like you can't see them if they're there.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Never mind the bed bugs, fear the politicians!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,956 times
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will) but as far as I knew Bedbugs can't survive in the cold. Since it will be cold in December theres a less chance of getting infested. I know it's not cold inside but I would imagine that tempature may or may not be an issue.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:45 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Bedbugs have become a bit of a problem on the NY side but to be honest those things can be found in hotels across the country so I wouldn't worry too much. Like someone else said just make sure you inspect the room and the mattress (couch too if room has one) before you settle in.

The place that is currently freaking me out is the movie theatre, it's dark so you can't really inspect it! I haven't been to the theatre in MONTHS!! Luckily i'm close to the drive in so I still got to see some movies this summer.

As for the cold, just remember layers are your friend. A nice tight underlayer works wonders for keeping you warm. The most important thing to keep warm is your extremities, hands, feet & head. Especially your little guy they lose heat faster. I don't think I've even known ANYONE that got frost bite.
Oh and one last tip NEVER take for granted that a "little puddle" is only an inch or so deep. In the winter that black slush may look an inch deep but you step on it only to find yourself in slush up to your calf.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will) but as far as I knew Bedbugs can't survive in the cold. Since it will be cold in December theres a less chance of getting infested. I know it's not cold inside but I would imagine that tempature may or may not be an issue.
I remember someone calling into the radio station this summer complaining how hot it was in their office, the boss wouldn't let them turn the AC on because apparently bed bugs bite harder when it's cold

Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There not really on our side , but there is at almost every major place in NYC. To be honest i have not run into them yet and hope not too. Don't panic , there are things you can to get rid of them if you get them and there not dangerous just a pest. Well the Average Temp in Dec is mid 20s , but it can be as low as -30F depending on if we get a Cold Blast form Canada or not. We do get Blizzards in late December , but that too varies on the Cold Blast form Canada. Sometimes we don't get anything at all except dry Cold Air for the whole month. Dress for very cold temps , cover everything including your face. If your toes are insulted then you won't get frost bite. A full month in the NYC region , thats pretty rare....
Whoa, are you trying to scare the OP away? For NYC, average highs are more like mid 30's to 40 degrees and lows may average into the 20's. Maybe some temps lower with an early blast of Canadian air, but still wind chills would generally be north of 0F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey