Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,181 times

Advertisements

I live in Washington, the one in Warren county. Like many other parts of the country, the prolonged recession has hit us hard, especially the town shops, many of which are now shuttered.

Not long ago, a bail bond office has moved in. As you can imagine, this is not something that's going to be attractive to anyone. Does anybody know how something like this happens, and if there's a way we can do something about it? Frankly, I'd rather have those empty buildings leveled and grass seeds planted than have places like that in town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 AM

912 posts, read 2,447,460 times
How it happened? It was an empty space, someone bought or leased it, and opened a business. A bail bond business just takes up office space, so it doesn't need to go before planning, zoning or other land use boards to operate. I agree with you that the clientele of such a business is not desirable, but that is not grounds on which to attempt to block it from opening.

Recently I noticed that the state opened a Superior Court of NJ Check-In storefront at a local strip mall. I can only assume this is for people on probation/parole to check in. I did a little bit of a double take when I first noticed the sign up there. I suppose all of the "smart growth" happening in our area means more criminals are moving in as well.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
It's a legitimate business. I sure hope there is nothing you can do about it.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:26 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
If it's permitted by zoning, there's nothing you can do about it. The fact that the business is viable tells me there's a clientele for it, and likely a decent-sized jail nearby, so the bail bond shop isn't the only thing you need to be worried about.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
It's a totally legit biz, similar to having a lawyer's office, part of the justice system, similar to judges, lawyers, police, sheriffs, etc.Many times even totally innocent persons are charged with various things and this is part of how they try to maintain a normal life until their additional screwing in court.

I remember driving through Florida where one bail bonds outfit had a billboard:
"We Keep Your Feet On The Street"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey