Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 PM

64 posts, read 161,732 times

Advertisements

People keep saying on the NYC forum that starting out people should move to NJ because it is still close enough to commute & its cheaper....

is this true??

where in jersey is good to live if i plan on spending 90% of my time in NYC

What is apartment hunting like there?? is it easier to get approved for an apt in Jersey than in NYC?? whats the average rent for a 1bd or studio in a safe buildng/area???

How would I commute?? would I still be able to be without a car??

I am moving from Houston texas where you must have a car and its super easy to get approved for an apartment..

please and thanks for all advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Hoboken , Jersey City , .....but you wouldn't be spending 90% of your time in NYC. Also look into Harrison,NJ. Has a 24/7 Connection to NYC via the PATH. Look along the PATH and Light Rail corridors. There are some nice apartments near Journal SQ , and Historic Downtown for 900-1400$$. Our Bus and Regional / Urban Rail system makes getting around without a car very easy.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 11-09-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 01:39 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Living in NJ is generally better than trying to exist in NYC, but the parts of NJ real close to NYC are kind of very crowded urban type places. I'd suggest going one step further out, life gets much more reasonable around there.
Most people in normal parts of NJ have cars, closer in to NYC cars get to be hassles for parking, etc.

PM me if any questions.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:52 AM

If you want to spend 90% of your time in NYC a car will be almost useless and quite expensive. You can't really park anywhere except at night or on weekends in NYC unless you want to pay like $40 a day in a garage. NYC has historically been quite anti-car and really has not built anything to accommodate cars since before Columbus sailed down Route 22.
Seriously if you live in NYC and have a car you have to get up early each morning and try to move it to a space that hardly ever exists on the other side of the street. People soon rack up thousands of $$ in parking tickets, etc.
If you are in NJ unless its at night or weekend its much easier to take a train, PATH or bus in.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Living in NJ is generally better than trying to exist in NYC, but the parts of NJ real close to NYC are kind of very crowded urban type places. I'd suggest going one step further out, life gets much more reasonable around there.
Most people in normal parts of NJ have cars, closer in to NYC cars get to be hassles for parking, etc.

PM me if any questions.
Whats that supposed to mean , normal ppl? Can you go a day without picking on the people in Urban Jersey , just because u hate it doesn't mean you need to post nasty and stupid comments about it..... Most do have Cars , but there storage cars.....
anyway to be honest , after a while NYC gets boring.....ive been to all 5 Boroughs at least 16x......at first your amazed at the size , glitz and glamor of NYC , but then as time goes on you see the real NYC. Also are you moving here because of Job relocation or college?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 AM

? My post read normal parts of NJ, not normal people. The closer you get to NYC the more hassle it is keeping a car. Simple concept having to do with population & housing density and having to arrange for a place to park a car vs. not having to worry about that if you are further away in more normal towns.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
? My post read normal parts of NJ, not normal people. The closer you get to NYC the more hassle it is keeping a car. Simple concept having to do with population & housing density and having to arrange for a place to park a car vs. not having to worry about that if you are further away in more normal towns.
What are normal towns , this is NJ. Most Towns are very populated......The way you say "Normal towns" rubs me the wrong way , so your saying the ppl in the city aren't normal? Why do you have to attack the cities all the time? There is nothing wrong with most of the cities in the state , some are really bad.....but most are pretty good. The Facts and the Rumors in this region have been twisted against Urban Jersey. Your making that worse by implying the ppl in the Urban areas aren't normal because they don't own or use there cars. Most Urban Areas have very popular Car sharing services ..... Its expensive to own a car in this state , have you not thought about that? In 20 years Urban Jersey will cover 70% of the state....

Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
What's your budget?

If we don't know what kind of budget you are looking for, we can't recommend a town that's realistic to your budget needs. That said there are some areas you can live cheaply in return for living in not so great areas for quick access to NYC.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM

596 posts, read 896,293 times
In overall all American standard, I think that Jersey City, Hoboken, all boroughs of NYC are somewhat an anomaly. I mean, most people in this country live in places where cars are absolute necessity. Here, they aren't. When people from Japan (I'm Japanese) come to NYC for a visit, I always tell them not to think that the entire country is like NYC.

Atsushi

Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM

596 posts, read 896,293 times
90% of your time in NYC? Obviously, you will be working there, yes? And perhaps, you want to go out every night. If that's very important to you, being this side of Hudson River, may leave you a bit frustrated. One of the inconvenient thing about not being NYC is coming home at night. I used to take PATH home late at night, but it's just so unpleasant to wait for a train on the platform for 30+minutes when it's hot or cold. So, nowadays I drive if I know I'll be coming home late. But driving is also a pain in a neck after midnight because one lane of Holland Tunnel gets closed for cleaning, and cars get backed up a block or two. But I only go to NYC a couple of times a week to play music (I'm an amateur musician), and I almost always come home before 11:30PM. So it hasn't been a problem for me. To me, this is a good compromise between excitement of living so close to the action without having to pay extra, like NYC tax and having a very secure job in NJ. I do realize that Jersey City isn't for everyone, but it has certainly worked for me.

Atsushi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey