Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 11,998 times

Advertisements

I'm having a real issue with this ordinance. I have been a resident for Nutley my entire life (27 years)...when I lived at my parents house we had to shove 5 cars in a small driveway each night. We learned to deal with it, but was still a major inconvenience. I have since moved to an apartment complex in Nutley, so I'm not having any parking issues there. The problem is at my boyfriend's apartment which is a 2 family house in Nutley, and there are 4 residents with 4 cars. There is only enough room in the driveway for 2 cars, and the landlord provides a spot at his house, 2 houses down. That still leaves 1 car without a spot. The house is right near the border of Belleville so he had been parking there, but now has gotten a ticket because it is permit parking. The landlord is offering no suggestions to fix the situation, and he can't keep risking getting parking tickets. He would very well pay for a parking permit so he can park there, but you have to be a resident of that street. Does anyone know if Nutley offers parking permits to allow you to park on the street overnight? Or any other suggestions that might help the situation???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
I hate this ordinance too. So many towns in north Jersey do this. I'm sure the only reason this ordinance still exists is because it brings in money for the towns. I remember reading an article last year about some residents of an apartment building in Montclair who tried to fight the ordinance for the same reason you describe. They were unsuccessful.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 AM

53 posts, read 312,506 times
I think there are some private lots where you can rent spots. I think there's one on the corner of St. Mary's Place and Centre, though that might be a little bit far from where that apartment is located.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:44 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times
If you are going to your boyfriend's on occasion, you could call Parking Authority and request a pass for overnight. One of my friends lives in Nutley and calls either the police or the parking authority when all of her siblings come home and need to park on the street.

It does seem like every NJ has this ordinance. I think that it should only be either in the dead of winter or when it snows, to allow for snow removal. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Of course, some streets may be too dangerous (like blind curve, too dark, or narrow road or something) to park on the street overnight.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post

It does seem like every NJ has this ordinance. I think that it should only be either in the dead of winter or when it snows, to allow for snow removal. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Of course, some streets may be too dangerous (like blind curve, too dark, or narrow road or something) to park on the street overnight.
I think the main reason for these ordinances is crime prevention. When a cop is out on patrol they can easily spot a potential crime threat if there is a car parked in front of a house. Although the article last year about the apartment building in Montclair mentioned that they wanted to prevent blight. Who worries about blight while driving at 3am?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
This is the silliest type of law I've ever heard of. I never knew towns did this until a girlfriend of mine moved up to Caldwell for school. It seems insane to me. I can't image it has any real crime-prevention value. No town around here has this law and there is essentially no crime to speak of. Likewise, I doubt a town like Caldwell would devolve into a hotbed of criminal activity if the governing body dared to allow cars to park on the street!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
This is so Tony Soprano and his thugs in the Town can get more money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey