Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions on how to proceed. I bought a used car 8 months ago from a kid that I found through a Craigslist ad. When i registered the car I paid taxes on the amount that I paid for the car($3.5k). Now I get a bill from NJDMV stating I owe more taxes because they feel the car is worth more then i paid ($6k). They are asking for an affidavit of sorts from the seller or copies of repair bills. I have no way of contacting the seller because I have no idea who they are or where they live. It was 8 months ago. The craigslist ad is long gone. So now what do I do? There is no phone number to call on the letter. Just to fill out the back and mail in my proof.

I did buy it cheap because it had mechanical issues and body damage but, I fixed the mechanical issues myself and I dont care about the body damage cause its just a beater/commuter car. I have no receipts for anything as I wasn't expecting there to be any issues.

What do you guys think? I say they can go pound salt (dont want to get another infraction for language lol) but I don't want any legal action taken against me either. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:59 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Looking for opinions on how to proceed. I bought a used car 8 months ago from a kid that I found through a Craigslist ad. When i registered the car I paid taxes on the amount that I paid for the car($3.5k). Now I get a bill from NJDMV stating I owe more taxes because they feel the car is worth more then i paid ($6k). They are asking for an affidavit of sorts from the seller or copies of repair bills. I have no way of contacting the seller because I have no idea who they are or where they live. It was 8 months ago. The craigslist ad is long gone. So now what do I do? There is no phone number to call on the letter. Just to fill out the back and mail in my proof.

I did buy it cheap because it had mechanical issues and body damage but, I fixed the mechanical issues myself and I dont care about the body damage cause its just a beater/commuter car. I have no receipts for anything as I wasn't expecting there to be any issues.

What do you guys think? I say they can go pound salt (dont want to get another infraction for language lol) but I don't want any legal action taken against me either. Grrrrrrrrrrr

What did the owner put on the bill of sale? Do you still have the ad? Did you pay cash or by check?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
The owner put $3500 on the back of the title. I paid him cash. Because it was so long ago I don't have his name or number or the ad or anything.

Ive bought my last 3 used cars this way and never had a problem. All I have is the paperwork and title you get back from the DMV.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
If that letter from the DMV somehow got lost in the mail you would have no idea they were looking for money.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I would stick to my guns as that is the value of the car and what you paid for it.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
DMV does this all the time btw....of course, how the hell do they know the condition of the car? its ridiculous

Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
They did this too me back in 2000 when I purchased a 1992 Honda. Few months later a get a tax bill saying your car is worth more than what you said you paid.

Unfortunately in the meantime I had to unexpectedly put a lot of money in the car (engine issues, etc) so I had the repair bills and sent them to the DMV and never heard from them again.

Your only chance is to get some repair bills.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I had the same thing happened with my 1995 Jeep last year. Received the tax bill and went through all of my receipts. My husband did the work himself, but I had to buy the parts.

I copied what I had in receipts and wrote some of the other work that needed to be done, explained that the work was done ourselves and haven't heard from them since.

You need receipts, badly....

Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM

77 posts, read 376,288 times
I too received a letter from the DMV claiming I paid too little money for the car. The vehicle was a Honda with very high mileage. Yes, I paid less than what the car was actually worth. I paid the value the owner was being offered by the dealer for trade-in value on a new car.
I wrote DMV and explained this to them and never heard from them again . This was at least four years ago. Incidentially, We still own and drive the car. DMV is not your partner, because of your good fortune on a wise purchase, you owe them nothing.
Many, many years ago I paid $15 for a running car that needed major brake work. I repaired the car then sold it quickly for a sizeable profit. I received a letter for that deal as well. Wrote a letter explaining the repairs needed, never heard from them again.
Through the years I have bought many cars cheap because they required repairs. As a mechanic I fixed them myself and always sold them at a sizeable profit. This is how I worked my way through college, earning a profit on my labors.
Bill

Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 AM

532 posts, read 1,465,114 times
Send a copy of the Craigs list ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey