Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 13,491 times

Advertisements

I see homes in the immediate area around the Woodbridge Station that are very affordable. Can anyone tell me how safe this area is?

I need to commute to the Grand Central area daily for work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by offtonj; 11-27-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtonj View Post
I see homes in the immediate area around the Woodbridge Station that are very affordable. Can anyone tell me how safe this area is?

I need to commute to the Grand Central area daily for work.

Any help would be appreciated.
It's very safe. Downtown Woodbridge is a fine area. There are quite a few vacant houses in the area you speak of. They have been on the market for over a year now and have not been sold.

I really do not understand why house prices in Woodbridge are going down so much. It is solid, safe and centrally located to a ton of amenities. It is a large town, about 100,000 people, so some sections are certainly better than others, but there is nothing wrong with the area you are talking about.

Here is a recent thread on the same thing: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ecline-nj.html

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Default Woodbridge train station

I live close to the train and I have found it to be very nice and safe. My family has been in Woodbridge for 5 years and think it's a very nice area and have had no difficulties.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 13,491 times
Thanks!

I'm just stunned by the prices I see in Woodbridge proper right now and I hear they may be coming down some more. I thought it must be a bad area.

I own a coop in Queens New York in an area called Kew Gardens. It cost me over 200K and I pay $8556 yearly in maintenance. For this i could have a HOUSE. Now if I can only sell my coop

Old 12-01-2010, 12:11 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtonj View Post
Thanks!

I'm just stunned by the prices I see in Woodbridge proper right now and I hear they may be coming down some more. I thought it must be a bad area.

I own a coop in Queens New York in an area called Kew Gardens. It cost me over 200K and I pay $8556 yearly in maintenance. For this i could have a HOUSE. Now if I can only sell my coop
Isn't Kew Gardens one of the higher end neighborhoods in Queens? Houses are worth more there because it is part of NYC. Woodbridge is mostly middle class, esp in the area you are looking in, with some higher and lower end neighborhoods scattered about.

There really are no bad areas of Woodbridge. The only place in Woodbridge I've known to stay away from is Keasbey which is on the edge of Perth Amboy, and that area is about five blocks (mostly industrial) and completely isolated from the rest of Woodbridge.

Avenel is pretty ugly. It borders Rahway, and the state prison is right on the Avenel/Rahway border. But it is no worse than any place else.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
It's very safe. Downtown Woodbridge is a fine area. There are quite a few vacant houses in the area you speak of. They have been on the market for over a year now and have not been sold.

I really do not understand why house prices in Woodbridge are going down so much. It is solid, safe and centrally located to a ton of amenities. It is a large town, about 100,000 people, so some sections are certainly better than others, but there is nothing wrong with the area you are talking about.

Here is a recent thread on the same thing: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ecline-nj.html

In a word....TAXES!

They go up EVERY year, like clock work.

Every Dollar assessed in taxes reduces the value of the house that pays it.

Consider, when a person looks to buy a house, they say to themselves that they can afford "X" Dollars a month.

To those people it matters little if it is mortgage or taxes, they only have so much to spend.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Isn't Kew Gardens one of the higher end neighborhoods in Queens? Houses are worth more there because it is part of NYC. Woodbridge is mostly middle class, esp in the area you are looking in, with some higher and lower end neighborhoods scattered about.

There really are no bad areas of Woodbridge. The only place in Woodbridge I've known to stay away from is Keasbey which is on the edge of Perth Amboy, and that area is about five blocks (mostly industrial) and completely isolated from the rest of Woodbridge.

Avenel is pretty ugly. It borders Rahway, and the state prison is right on the Avenel/Rahway border. But it is no worse than any place else.
The Prison is in Avenal , which is a part of Woodbridge.... Its not in Rahway , they changed its name back in the 90s after Rahway complained.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
In a word....TAXES!

They go up EVERY year, like clock work.

Every Dollar assessed in taxes reduces the value of the house that pays it.

Consider, when a person looks to buy a house, they say to themselves that they can afford "X" Dollars a month.

To those people it matters little if it is mortgage or taxes, they only have so much to spend.
you're right about that...

I was looking at a few places in woodbridge and then went on the town's website to find the property taxes on some places is as high as 9.217%

below is a breakdown on how property is taxed

Tax Rate per $100 of Valuation
COUNTY TAX 1.262
COUNTY OPEN SPACE TAX 0.091
DISTRICT SCHOOL TAX 4.893
LOCAL MUNICIPAL TAX 2.111
FIRE DIST 1 0.860
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey