Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Two words: Sell house!
Good luck on that one LOL.....even for less then you owe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
$3,600 in taxes for a $300k house sounds pretty high- my taxes on a similarly priced house are only $2,700/year.

Oh, wait- never mind- I forgot I'd stepped back over to the NJ forum. Please disregard the statement above and replace with the following:

Were you out of your mind when you signed the original closing papers? Why would you possibly have thought you'd only be paying $3,600/year in property taxes in NJ? The taxes on a cardboard refrigerator box in Newark are more than that!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,858 times
Quote:
The taxes on a cardboard refrigerator box in Newark are more than that!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
I agreed (and I will never go back to him) - he did have the seller signed a letter agreeing to pay the omitted assessment tax - I guess the letter doesn't do me any good now that the seller filed for bankruptcy. It was one expensive lesson for me.
I donno what you were thinking by paying the 8k youself. The lawyer made a mistake and he should pay for it.

My lawyer made a similar mistake an he called me to apologized and offered to pay the balance if the sellers wouldn't send me the balance

Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
$3,600 in taxes for a $300k house sounds pretty high- my taxes on a similarly priced house are only $2,700/year.

Oh, wait- never mind- I forgot I'd stepped back over to the NJ forum. Please disregard the statement above and replace with the following:

Were you out of your mind when you signed the original closing papers? Why would you possibly have thought you'd only be paying $3,600/year in property taxes in NJ? The taxes on a cardboard refrigerator box in Newark are more than that!

Bob who picks up the education cost in whatever state you live in? Property taxes would be much lower had the cost not been passed on to home owners in Nj. How do they fund education?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Bob who picks up the education cost in whatever state you live in? Property taxes would be much lower had the cost not been passed on to home owners in Nj. How do they fund education?
Its quite simple, actually- they don't have 500+ school districts, each with a superintendent making $200k per year, a personnel department, a business manager, etc. They can do things much more effectively with a county-based system.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,351 times
Thanks for the sympathy and useful advice...or lack thereof. And thanks for the tough-beans NJ attitude. What I don't understand is, why am I paying 10% of the cost of the house each year in mortgage payments? The mortgage itself is barely 50% of the payment. How is it that taxes and surcharges and insurance payments jack this up to $2500-3000 per month? It's as if you need to be making $125,000 a year to buy a dinky little house in NJ, but in this economy most of the people I know barely make half that much. The taxes are so high, its as if people are being taxed as if the year is still 2001, when everyone was rich and employed and flying high. Now that the economy is tanked 70% off that peak, shouldn't taxes be pro-rated to be 70% less? I was looking on the internet, and I found that I can buy a home in Michigan in the Detroit area as big as my own home, for only about $55,000. Instead of being a hamster on a treadmill for the rest of my life here in NJ, barely acquiring any equity because I'm blowing it all on real estate taxes, I can liquidate my NJ lifestyle, buy this $55,000 house with cash, and literally retire right now at the age of 35. What am I doing in NJ?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I donno what you were thinking by paying the 8k youself. The lawyer made a mistake and he should pay for it.
The lawyer didn't make a mistake. Perhaps the person who accepted his advice made a mistake though.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,858 times
Quote:
What am I doing in NJ?
If you don't know, why are you asking us? More importantly, making a purchase such as a home requires a lot of investigation as to the costs involved. The internet makes that extremely easy. What your tax rate would be should not have been a surprise. Real estate sites such as Zillow allow every home's tax rate in the town to be investigated. Most town's have on line assessment sites. This should not have been surprise.
Quote:

I can buy a home in Michigan in the Detroit area as big as my own home
I'd say if you can minke a suitable salary to support the home, go for it. I'd be a bit curious how you plan to live retired at 35 unless you now have a sizable portfolio to live on.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Its quite simple, actually- they don't have 500+ school districts, each with a superintendent making $200k per year, a personnel department, a business manager, etc. They can do things much more effectively with a county-based system.
That sounds interesting but with home rule that will never happen here in NJ regardless of what party is in power. The thing is that can't be the only reason for lower taxes. Sure downsizing the upper management would save us all some money but that cant be the only problem. What state do you live in? Do they have a sales tax that pays for education? Do you have a lot less kids per capita? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey