Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM

88,566 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I was wondering if the REVERSE of that happens in New Jersey
The reverse of the genders? Probably, why wouldn't it? I don't understand why you are so fixated on race.

I don't think there are many limitations on what mixes of male/female interracial combinations may occur. People are people, and in a place like NJ with such a huge mix of different ethnicities, races and religions, folks from different backgrounds are going to fall in love.

If you want some kind of guarantee that you will not experience any racism in any given place, you might want to check out other planets. There are a lot of Indian people where I work, and the disdain within the Indian population itself for one another is sadly sometimes apparent. With a country of origin still firmly entrenched in a caste system, I'd think you would have no problem dealing with what white people may or may not think of you.

Bottom line: Some people of all origins care about such crap, some people do not. Walk away from those who do, and gravitate toward those who don't.

Truth is, most people in New Jersey aren't going to give you a second glance no matter what you and your significant other look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I have students from Holmdel (a wealthy area here in NJ) who are half Hindi and half Puerto Rican. Their Dad is from India and they mother PR.

So not only could there be Indian/Hispanic couples there have been ones here long enough for them to have teenaged children.

As for the OP itself, yes, racism is a fact anywhere in this country but I would suspect for the most part NJ is more tolerant than many places. We have been rated as the best place for interracial couples to live.

But, I also know from going to RU back in 2001, that due to the personal loss of family and friends on 9/11 many people have a hatred of anyone they think maybe Middle Eastern and sometimes do not differentiate between Arabic and Indian, especially Sikhs. Not sure if that applies to you.
Yes, there was one incident in NJ where a Sikh was attacked by some ignorant moron after 9/11.

As someone well acquainted with a lot of 9/11 survivors and family members of 9/11 dead, I can tell you, however, that most of them are not that way. You have to remember that it wasn't a bunch of white people who were killed on 9/11. The WTC was a place where people from all over the world worked and got along very well, probably more so than in many other places. These people are bonded by their experiences and their losses. There are exceptions, of course. There always are.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Default I am just going by what I have seen on other sites and read

Here is an example:

What advice would you give to someone who is not happy being their racial background? - Page 25 - ForumBiodiversity.com » Anthropology Biodiversity Forum (ABF)

Also I have read about "Dotbusters", an anti-Indian group. I am just really trying to dig into this topic.

How are relationships between Indians and non-Indians there? Do Whites there really hate Indians a lot?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Here is an example:

What advice would you give to someone who is not happy being their racial background? - Page 25 - ForumBiodiversity.com » Anthropology Biodiversity Forum (ABF)

Also I have read about "Dotbusters", an anti-Indian group. I am just really trying to dig into this topic.

How are relationships between Indians and non-Indians there? Do Whites there really hate Indians a lot?
What is with these ridiculous questions , there is no hate up here. This is the most diverse region of the US , most progressive.....this is not the south. No one hates anybody , and if they do they know not to say it out loud.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What is with these ridiculous questions , there is no hate up here. This is the most diverse region of the US , most progressive.....this is not the south. No one hates anybody , and if they do they know not to say it out loud.
I live in the south, HAVE HARDLY faced any racism here at all.

I heard it was much worse up in New Jersey, especially towards Indians, just want personal experiences.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I heard it was much worse up in New Jersey, especially towards Indians, just want personal experiences.
No its not , theres barely any racism up here , more like Class racism....depending on your class ....but thats everywhere...

Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 PM

122 posts, read 210,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisabledMess View Post
New Jersey is the most diverse state in America. I'm white and there was a little Indian community down the block from where I grew up and no one had any problems with them.

The most diverse State in America is New York, with populations from seven continents, and over 200 languages.

As a member of a minority group, I have found New Jersey to be one of the most racists places for minorities. It is different in big cities here, Newark, Jersey City, etc., but once one moves into a White town, one begins to experience the attitudes and lack of respect, and if you have an accent, it is much worse.

I worked in Somerville, and as a professional, found myriad of racism. Mind you, I have very light skin, and blonde hair, but have a distinctive accent. They made my life miserable. And yes, NJ is a very racist State, and the further South, Central or West you go, the worst it gets.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
The most diverse State in America is New York, with populations from seven continents, and over 200 languages.

As a member of a minority group, I have found New Jersey to be one of the most racists places for minorities. It is different in big cities here, Newark, Jersey City, etc., but once one moves into a White town, one begins to experience the attitudes and lack of respect, and if you have an accent, it is much worse.

I worked in Somerville, and as a professional, found myriad of racism. Mind you, I have very light skin, and blonde hair, but have a distinctive accent. They made my life miserable. And yes, NJ is a very racist State, and the further South, Central or West you go, the worst it gets.
Thats such a lie , it goes by class not race. If your poor and a minority in a all white town of course your going to get targeted. But there are alot of us Middle Class AA's and Latinos who have no problem living here. Light skinned blonde is not in its own race group , what your experiencing is stereotyping. Mind you that i have been all over the state and have never experienced any racial issues. The Lack of Respect is a cultural issue.... If you don't like NJ you can move the door has been opened for you.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,253 times
And that's the truth. There is very little racism in America today, but plenty of class-ism. Indian-Americans are an extremely prosperous minority (on average), so there is little prejudice. Those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder will feel the greatest exclusion.

Not great, but its better than racism - you can't change your skin color, but you can sure as heck get rich.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:

And everyone keeps telling you they don't know of this widespread Jersey anti-Indian racism you so desperately seem to want to hear about.

YOU are being very offensive, so maybe you should start worrying about how YOU treat others instead of imagining how badly someone might be waiting to treat you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey