Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,051 times

Advertisements

Hi

I will be moving to NJ from Pune, India next week, with my husband and 4 year old son.

My husband will be working in Lyndhurst.

We are looking for a 1 BHK rental appt in range of 900$ to 1100$.
Please suggest area where indian community will be available so my son can make some friends.
Groceries, Indian stores, walmart, target etc is near by.
Apartment with 20 to 30 mins of commute to Lyndhurst should be ok. Less is better.

Also please suggest the good schools in the area.
My son in 4 years and in India he is in Jr. KG. which terminology in US school this grade will map to, is it Kindegarten or Elementary school.

Also, would appreciate, if some one can help me with reference to Knoll Gardens in Parsipanny. I inquired, they said they have no vacancy

Thanks,
PK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Parsippany can be a 45 - 60 minute drive from Lyndhurst during the rush hour. You might want to consider Secaucus which is the next town east of Lyndhurst across the Hackensack River. The schools are decent . There is an Indian community in Secaucus and a larger one a bit further away in Jersey City. Secaucus also has good train and bus service so you travel about somewhat wihout having to rely on a car BUT a car is a necessity in New Jersey. The main highway through Secaucus, Route 3, has all the shops you mentioned and more. Google "Indians Secaucus"; the results should lead you to bulletin boards where you can post specific questions to Indians who live in the area. Good Luck.

Last edited by sonetlumiere; 08-01-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
PK, how long do you plan to live in the rental apartment? Do you plan on driving or would you use public transprortation? 20-30 minute commute is a "dream" for most in NJ; most people spend an hour or more each way. Be prepared to spend a lot more than 30 minutes on commute if you wish to balance towns with good schools, reasonable rent and safe neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 12,210 times
Look in Fair Lawn, Paramus, and Bergenfield for sure. THey all have decently large Indian communities and decently close to Lyndhurst!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkulkarni View Post

Please suggest area where indian community will be available so my son can make some friends.
I suppose this shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Your son cannot make friends with American children?

The pure audacity of the quoted statement is unbelievable.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I thought the same thing.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:

I tend to agree with you but thinking about it for a few seconds makes me realise there might be an actual need for Indian neighbors. A 4 year old coming from India may not understand or speak a word of English language. Hence the need to find a few Indian neighbors with kids who might at least understand the kid.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I tend to agree with you but thinking about it for a few seconds makes me realise there might be an actual need for Indian neighbors. A 4 year old coming from India may not understand or speak a word of English language. Hence the need to find a few Indian neighbors with kids who might at least understand the kid.
If they are coming here for jobs, they speak English.

That is no excuse, IMO.

Read the OP, it's written in near-perfect English.

I'm just tired of being insulted in this manner. Every single one of these 'moving from India' posts asks the same question "where's the Indian community?"

Our jobs and money are good enough; Americans aren't. Mustn't MINGLE, oh, the horror!

And, yes. I take it personally.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,212 times
Hi katrinaaltman

Are the places that you referred has NJ Rail connected? I am new to NJ, pls help.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Quote:

Social discrimination happens, even at the elementary school level. I had two friends in elementary school whose parents wouldn't let me come over and play or let them come over and play because I wasn't a Christian(although they did let a mutual friend of ours who was Jewish do so, something I didn't really understand as a kid). However, the rock throwing, Temple of Doom/Simpsons(Apu)/curry jokes, and physical bullying didn't start until middle school. Growing up, I was actually quite envious of my cousins who grew up around more Indians and seemed to have tons of friends.

No one wants their kid growing up being an outcast(except for my parents!).

Last edited by TylerJAX; 08-01-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey