Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im a little offended by that. i think people should be able to choose whatever criteria they want for when they search for their home.

i dont believe its necessarily racism to want to be around a certain race or not around a certain race but even if it was racism, i do believe in america its legal to be racist.
Yep, it's legal to be a racist, but it's NOT legal for a licensed real estate agent to bring his racism into his profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yep, it's legal to be a racist, but it's NOT legal for a licensed real estate agent to bring his racism into his profession.
but id see it as you just doing your job in helping people find the right place according to their preferences. i wouldnt consider the agent as being racist. i also wouldnt necessarily consider the preference to be racist. if you did, then you would probably consider 90% of people in the world racist since if you look at most peoples social circles, they tend to spend social time predominatly with people of their own race.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Very slippery slope Captain. People can make their choice based on any criteria, but for a realtor to start steering people toward or away from areas based on race can start to cross the line very quickly.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Very slippery slope Captain. People can make their choice based on any criteria, but for a realtor to start steering people toward or away from areas based on race can start to cross the line very quickly.
I'm pretty sure the customers do their own steering. The agent just shows people the types of neighborhoods they request.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 16,939 times
Quote:
im a little offended by that. i think people should be able to choose whatever criteria they want for when they search for their home.

i dont believe its necessarily racism to want to be around a certain race or not around a certain race but even if it was racism, i do believe in america its legal to be racist.
Maybe your the troll after all not me...lol. Its so funny to see people argue with complete strangers online. Maybe some of you guys need jobs instead of posting on anonymous forums. I love it...keep it coming. I didn't know what a troll was yesterday but Im loving the title right now.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Who needs the drive-in movie theaters referenced in that other thread when you got plenty of entertainment in this one?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM

133 posts, read 502,770 times
Look into South Orange.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher86 View Post
Maybe your the troll after all not me...lol. Its so funny to see people argue with complete strangers online. Maybe some of you guys need jobs instead of posting on anonymous forums. I love it...keep it coming. I didn't know what a troll was yesterday but Im loving the title right now.
im the grumpy old troll who lives under the bridge.

ive been called a troll before, whats the fun if everyone sits around agreeing with each other?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher86 View Post
My husband and I are considering buying a home in northern NJ but are having a difficult time finding the right town. We have one daughter and plan for another next year. We are willing to spend up to 2 million. Many of you are probably like then whats the problem, lol? We are African American and would like a town that is racial diversity. I see alot of places that people say are diverse but that diversity is due to the Asian or Indian population not black people. I do not need 50% black but at-least 20-25%. I would even consider a place that may not be so diverse but shares a school district with another town that is ...for example my husband grew up on Long Island where he went to a school that was in a 95% white area but the school was for both that area and his area which was 95% black so the school balanced out. I just want my kids to go to a school where they have some friends and faces that look like them.

Anyway, I like the homes in Short Hills but am seeing not many black people.
I like Montclair but the homes are old and not my style.
In Alpine $2 mil gets my a starter home.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
If I can afford a $2 million dollar house in NJ (that mean property tax alone is like 20 to 40k a year), I would just send my children to private school. At least they will be learn something worth a while instead of the garbage teach in public school.

I have nothing again public school except it is run by the government and teach on the the thing government approved.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
but id see it as you just doing your job in helping people find the right place according to their preferences. i wouldnt consider the agent as being racist. i also wouldnt necessarily consider the preference to be racist. if you did, then you would probably consider 90% of people in the world racist since if you look at most peoples social circles, they tend to spend social time predominatly with people of their own race.
How you see it doesn't mean squat. There are certain rules that need to be followed and this is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey