Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrosteve View Post
I'll agree with you when you say that all wheel drive is the best.
Subarus have all wheel drive, where all wheels are activated all the time.

The CRV, however, is not all wheel drive. It is a Front Wheel Drive system most of the time, and when or if it feels the wheels slipping, the 4 wheel drive system engages. They advertise it as 4 wheel drive, and as such the 4 wheel drive system is not activated all the time, otherwise they would call it all wheel drive. I had a CRV before I bought a Subaru. It never got stuck in the snow and was trouble-free for all the years that I owned it. I'd certainly recommend it, but I think the Subaru's system is better in the snow and wet pavement.
You are correct. Honda CRV is 'Real Time 4WD system"
Honda CR-V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Honda's Real Time 4WD system on the CR-V utilizes a Dual hydraulic Pump Rear Differential and 4WD Transfer case. The dual pump rear differental operates the front wheels during normal conditions then automatically transfers power to the rear wheels when needed, without the driver engaging the system. To allow the ABS braking system to work when the CR-V is engaged in four-wheel drive operation, the 4WD will turn off if the brakes are applied. An optional HONDA off road front skid plate and cargo roof rack are both available from Honda Dealerships.
Later Model CR-Vs equipped with automatic transmissions also have a lockup torque converter and Grade Logic program which aids the CR-V when climbing steep inclines by keeping the transmission in the lower gear. The 2007 and later Model 4WD system was improved and sends an additional 20% more torque to the rear tires than earlier models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
FWD with snow tires IMO is better than AWD or 4WD with just about anything but snow tires. currently have AWD subaru with snow tires. I believe my FWD was much more easy to control if you do not necessarily know what you are doing. I.e. it can drift/oversteer like a RWD car.

havent really had a chance to take it to a parking lot and let it rip haha

also at one point had a saab 900 turbo. fun car.
i'd take an awd with all seasons any day over a fwd with snow tires. i drove circles around people during that christmas weekend storm. the winter tires are nice for traction, but the awd system helps you never really get to that point where you're stuck on the hill and start slipping.

but, a fwd vehicle with snow tires and a reasonably good driver is still fine.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
awd with all season tires will not help you stop. i am sure that despite how AWD with all seasons feels, FWD with snow tires is more controllable.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
awd with all season tires will not help you stop. i am sure that despite how AWD with all seasons feels, FWD with snow tires is more controllable.
with all the cars i've driven, i just disagree. stopping is aided by the snow tires over all season (except ice, which just doesn't matter) - but actually driving, my awd is much easier to control climbing a hill or turning than my fwd is. with the stopping, i just know to leave space and to anticipate, no matter which tires i have on. but for simple driving through snow, i'd take the awd w/ all seasons over fwd with snows. that's my preference. but - i LOVE awd with snows. it's fabulous!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,225 times
This discussion is going nowhere. Some all season tires are better than other all season tires and some snow tires are better than other snow tires. In general AWD is better than FWD in snow because you can get traction from all 4 wheels when necessary. This means less likelihood of getting stuck or losing control. Bottom line is AWD is usually better than FWD in snow and snow tires are better than all seasons in snow. Personally I think snow tires are more important than having AWD but again every car and every driver are different. You can't really compare unless you are specific about the car model and the tire type.

I also think that unless you are actually driving through inches of unplowed or sloppy snow you really don't need AWD or snow tires in NJ. Personally i drive an AWD with snow tires in winter because I have to get to my office no matter the weather but for most people common sense and a reliable car should be enough.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
Heres where the thread takes yet another ugly turn... AWD cars use more gas... since it has to move ALL the wheels it takes more energy and power to do so. I know people with Subarus and Audis that are all wheel drive and they tell me it uses more gas then FWD.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Heres where the thread takes yet another ugly turn... AWD cars use more gas... since it has to move ALL the wheels it takes more energy and power to do so. I know people with Subarus and Audis that are all wheel drive and they tell me it uses more gas then FWD.
i considered that. my TSX gets about 32mpg highway. my Legacy GT gets about 26mpg. Now, it's not simply the only difference is AWD, so it's not really fair to say that.

i can't think of any cars off the top of my head that come in FWD or AWD. i can imagine AWD gets slightly less, but I doubt it's a major difference. i'm about 18% lower gas mileage than the TSX, but i have a turbo, car is shaped differently, and wheels are larger.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM

in AWD all 4 wheels are not engaged all the time, only when they are needed. AWD cars are heavier and the energy used to move all 4 wheels is greater so you do use more gas. But you are not buying an AWD car for fuel efficiency. You are buying the car so you don't get stuck in snow or to have better traction in rain. Many cars do come in either AWD or FWD versions and FWD is always more efficient.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
in AWD all 4 wheels are not engaged all the time, only when they are needed. AWD cars are heavier and the energy used to move all 4 wheels is greater so you do use more gas. But you are not buying an AWD car for fuel efficiency. You are buying the car so you don't get stuck in snow or to have better traction in rain. Many cars do come in either AWD or FWD versions and FWD is always more efficient.
yeah. makes sense. but how much more efficient is the question?

i just couldn't think of any models off the top of my head. i know of a lot of RWD models that also come in AWD. I know a lot of crossovers and SUVs come to think of it, that have FWD models and either 4WD or AWD models...couldn't think of any sedans though.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Just off the top of my head i am pretty sure the Toyota Highlander comes in FWD or AWD and the audi A4 also has FWD or AWD quattro. You can compare the mileage for those cars across their respective versions. The efficiency is going to be different depending on the actual cars and engineering. I'm sure there are lots more that have the FWD or AWD option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey