Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM

68 posts, read 396,373 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the East Brunswick area and currently live in Long Island. We are looking to move to one of the towns along the Watchung Mountains (Watchung, Warren, Green Brook, Bridgewater, etc.) off Rt. 78.

Is the snowfall in these areas considerably more than you would get in East Brunswick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,731,117 times
I'm not sure I'd call it "considerable". In general, I'd say "more", but not "considerably". Not enough to make me question living there, if that makes sense. If EB gets 8 inches, I'd say IN GENERAL that area MAY get 2-3 more? It really depends.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,993,239 times
I would venture to say that it's no different really. The reality is that we barely have "mountains" in New Jersey. In places out west the elevation difference between the flatlands and the mountains is dramatic, as in thousands of feet. In California for example you can start in the lowlands where it might be a balmy 75 degrees, drive four hours into the Sierra Nevadas and go skiing. The Watchung mountains average 400-500'. Snowfall in New Jersey is largely determined by proximity to the ocean. "The mountains" (ie: Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, Passaic, Western Morris, etc...) do get more snow, but it's not a function of elevation, rather it's more of a case of the higher elevation areas being further from the ocean. When its raining in Monmouth County during the winter its not uncommon for it to be snowing in Sussex/Warren, but the elevation isn't near as much a factor as the fact that as the crow flies Warren County is 60+ miles from the coast. The Watchung mountains are even closer to the ocean, so average snow totals would likely be less.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM

68 posts, read 396,373 times
This is great information, thank you. It doesn't seem like there is much of a differential in snowfall. I guess another component of my question relates to driving/commuting in snowstorms. Since EB is relatively flat, the driving conditions are not too bad once the roads are plowed. I imagine that because the towns near the Watchung Mountains are more "hilly" for lack of a better term, driving conditions are more difficult during the winter.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,731,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrodbenchwood View Post
This is great information, thank you. It doesn't seem like there is much of a differential in snowfall. I guess another component of my question relates to driving/commuting in snowstorms. Since EB is relatively flat, the driving conditions are not too bad once the roads are plowed. I imagine that because the towns near the Watchung Mountains are more "hilly" for lack of a better term, driving conditions are more difficult during the winter.
Well, hilly areas generally will have better snow removal, so I wouldn't worry too much. I live near Badfish in one of the areas where do we get more snow (and we have a TON of hills), and the towns do a good job in general.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,993,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Well, hilly areas generally will have better snow removal, so I wouldn't worry too much. I live near Badfish in one of the areas where do we get more snow (and we have a TON of hills), and the towns do a good job in general.
Ditto. Getting from where I live to where Tahiti lives would be dicey even with 4WD and snow tires if the roads were not well cleared. Areas with lots of hills and switchback turns (which we have a lot of) get extra attention from plow crews. I don't think the Watchungs are all that treacherous though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,413,554 times
We lived in the Watching mountains but more like hills in Martinsville for over 20 years. Sometimes we would get more snow than those down below and sometimes we would get rain and they would get snow. Not that much of a difference in elevation to make much of a difference. The most snow I remember was 17" and 15" a week apart. Mid 90's I think.
I think the elevation of Martinsville is around 300' above sea level.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
It wasn't a huge difference, but for about ten years I lived in West Paterson, which is on the side of Garrett Mountain, the First Watchung mountain (and as some pointed out, hardly a "mountain" when you consider other US ranges).

But I would take the train into Fair Lawn, meet my husband, and then we'd drive home. More than once it was raining in Fair Lawn and on Route 80, and snowing in West Pat.

Does have something to do with elevation. I also worked at the World Trade Center for almost 20 years. Snow would be falling outside the window on 82, but it would be raining at street level.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 36,973 times
I grew up in and work in Warren, but now live "down the mountain" in North Plainfield. I definately see a difference in snowfall up the mountain when I go to work, and where they will not close schools in my town, they will in Warren. I expect because of buses on the roads, as opposed to mine being a walking school. There have even been times when it barely snowed in my town, but they would get covered in Warren. But I don't think that it normally is a HUGE difference, and they will get the plows out for downtown early, the side roads just may not be plowed as well.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:37 AM

47 posts, read 118,325 times
Little more snow, but nothing crazy. You really need to go up to Sussex county to see a real jump in ave. snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey