Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 AM

9 posts, read 51,712 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking of relocating to NJ from upstate NY. We now live in a small suburban community and are hoping to find something similar.

We are looking for a relatively close commute to the Woodbridge area. I have 2 kids one will be starting high school when we relocate and the other will be in elementary school.

We are looking at mid ranged priced housing somewhere in the 300's low 400's in a nice area with great schools. Can anyone suggest any areas for us to look in? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 AM

687 posts, read 3,251,641 times
Look at Sayreville... Money magazine just named it one of the country's top 100 towns to live in.

Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Sayreville, N.J. (47) - Money Magazine

There are better schools in Middlesex County (East Brunswick and Edison, specifically), but you'd get more for your money in Sayreville. You could find a decent single family or a very nice townhome in your price range.

PM me if you'd like more info. about the Sayreville schools. I know them well.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Why not make it simple, and look in Woodbridge? You can easily get a home in the price range you're looking for, and the schools are very good. The only areas relatively close (as in 10 miles or so) that have better schools are North Edison and Metuchen, and $400k won't get you much (if anything) in either town.

I'd look for houses that are zoned to either Colonia HS or JFK HS. Woodbridge HS gets all of the kids from the low-rent areas of the township like Hopelawn and Keasbey, so it's the worst of the three high schools. You can look in Iselin, Colonia, or parts of Avenel (though Avenel is getting a little dicey). Of those areas, Colonia is the nicest, but also the most costly.

I'm moving from Iselin next week, and grew up in the area. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob

Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM

132 posts, read 520,490 times
Are you moving out of the area Bob I am moving out of Iselin shortly and going to Colonia. I agree with what you say about the towns.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyflops View Post
Are you moving out of the area Bob I am moving out of Iselin shortly and going to Colonia. I agree with what you say about the towns.
Yes- we're moving around 30 miles northwest of downtown Atlanta.

Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 15,788 times
Out of all the places in woodbridge...I would say your best bet would be Colonia. Has houses priced for what you need and is a very nice town. (I'm from Colonia..) I agree about the high schools. You want to stay away from Woodbridge high. I know a few teachers there and they are at their witts end.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Look at Sayreville... Money magazine just named it one of the country's top 100 towns to live in.

Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Sayreville, N.J. (47) - Money Magazine

There are better schools in Middlesex County (East Brunswick and Edison, specifically), but you'd get more for your money in Sayreville. You could find a decent single family or a very nice townhome in your price range.

PM me if you'd like more info. about the Sayreville schools. I know them well.

i have to say, i lost respect for this list when Hackettstown made the list last year, lol....

Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i have to say, i lost respect for this list when Hackettstown made the list last year, lol....
I stopped paying attention to that list when Moorsetown was #1 a few years ago, and now its something like #49. Unless something drastic happened there, or that many other towns in the country became wonderful in a short period, I just find it odd that it could slip that much.

Or, maybe getting rated #1 brought too many new folks to town, and that contributed to the downfall? Maybe being #1 isn't the best thing in the world now.........lol

Bob

Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 PM

26 posts, read 115,857 times
Look at Somerset - Franklin Township, NJ.
It's close and you can probably find what you are looking for in terms of housing. I have to agree with Bob though -- why not look in Woodbridge; unless it's too close. Some people like to live outside of the town where they work. Happy Trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey