Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times

Advertisements

How can you go state by state on this type of thing? Within each state there are many extremes and different stressers based on the type of community. Urban areas are usually hard to generalize for example but always have some issues.
This is at least not as silly as someone looking for Italians? That gave me a good laugh. Like in real life someone would ever ask for that. Only on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Is that animosity still present towards Indians in a lot of areas in Jersey or was the article basically a joke in many ways?
The article was basically a very New Jersey joke. NJ has one of the largest racial mixes in the United States and a high immigrant population and NJ humor is integral to those groups all getting along. I live in an area which has gone from 0 Indian population 12 years ago to around 30% now. I haven't seen any issues (although I'm not omnipresent) and the Indian population has settled in pretty well as far as I can see. The one issue is in one or two towns where they are now close to 80% of young families and some other ethnicities are starting to feel a little left out. As in everything, balance is key.

As Rutgers pointed out, seeing the town you grew up in change radically can be bittersweet, we all kind of like things to stay the same so we can take a trip down memory lane. This doesn't have to be just changes in ethnicity, it is also prevelent when a rural area is built up (as happened to Edison, where Joel Stein is from) or there is massive redevelopment. Few people really love change that is beyond their control.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Here is Joel Stein's response:

Joel Stein responds: I truly feel stomach-sick that I hurt so many people. I was trying to explain how, as someone who believes that immigration has enriched American life and my hometown in particular, I was shocked that I could feel a tiny bit uncomfortable with my changing town when I went to visit it. If we could understand that reaction, we'd be better equipped to debate people on the other side of the immigration issue.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
It was also intended as a humor column, albeit one that didn't really hit the point too well.

Where do you live that you are so concerned about this issue in NJ?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

I did not read your article but if you didn't live in one of those places in that particular time frame it is sort of hard to comment. The when and where is important and maybe the level of involvement someone has in their community at that point in time. In urban areas there are usually tensions with small business owners if a new group starts to show strength in numbers quickly. It is competition.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM

105 posts, read 202,995 times
Here we go again. What any different opinions than your last thread do you expect this time around? That Indians in NJ start yelling racism all of a sudden now? OK, just to make you happy, we Indians have been enslaved by white people in NJ and the dots on our heads are used as bulls-eye targets for shooting practices. Happy? Got what you were so desperately looking for? Now I would really appreciate if you can STOP creating multiple threads with that imagination of yours.

Wonder why would someone who is so ashamed of his Indian origin worry so much about plight of Indians.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 AM

The OP is most likely a white male. That comes from past thread activity here.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM

270 posts, read 535,061 times
Question Drumming it up...again...

Joel Stein is one writer, one opinion, one voicebox. He does not represent me. He does not represent any person or group from NJ. He was scolded, reprimanded, and apologized for his piece (although one must remember, he did have the right in this country to write it). That was months ago. Why are you bringing him up....again?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
The OP is insane.............................

Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
There are tons of Indians where I work, and most of them live in New Jersey and seem pretty happy about it. I won't say they've never faced racism, because there are racists everywhere, but by and large people from INDIA aren't going to be at the top of the list for racist attacks, because frankly, they are considered "good" immigrants. Most Indians in NJ are professionals such as engineers or doctors, and even those not in those professions--like the stereotypical "Indian convenience store" owner (a term now considered redundant, lol) are WORKING people, not immigrants coming to the US to work the system or get handouts. It seems to me that most Indian immigrants have managed to do what a lot of previous immigrants did--assimilate into the US without giving up their own cultural identities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey