Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 21,927 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people talk about outrageous taxes and high cost of living in NJ.
Can somebody please break it down for me and tell me what kind of taxes and how much are those taxes. Same for cost of living what is so expensive in NJ.
I would appreciate any real life examples.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM

572 posts, read 2,022,586 times
Sam -

As an example I have a $1200 square foot, 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo in Union NJ. My taxes are $5,600 annually and that does not incluede any land. On top of that, it is approximately $3,840 annually for my association fees, $900 annually for electric, $900 annually for gas ect. In comparison with my cousin in KY that has a 2800 square foot 4 bedroom home on an acre of land and pays $1,800 annually for taxes $150 annually for their home association and nowhere near the same amount for their utilities.

It would be very hard for someone in NJ who is single and doing everythign on their own to own a home if they are making less then $100k.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM

379 posts, read 513,046 times
C'mon now. You can buy a rowhouse in Camden for the price of a DVD player. Plus, no association fees and low, low taxes.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamX5 View Post
I hear a lot of people talk about outrageous taxes and high cost of living in NJ.
Can somebody please break it down for me and tell me what kind of taxes and how much are those taxes. Same for cost of living what is so expensive in NJ.
I would appreciate any real life examples.
Thanks
Property tax is pretty much the biggest tax on the block. I think rule of thumb for NJ is 2% for ballpark estimate. Obviously it matter what town, when it was built, sq ft, etc. but I don't think it'll hurt to do 2% to set a baseline and then go into researching to see what it really is. Income tax in NJ isn't cheap either but it's still lower than NYC.

But keep in mind that you usually get good school district as trade off for property tax. It is typically cheaper than sending your kids to private school. For example, my buddy owns a house in Leonia and he paid/paying 500k and I think his property tax was 12k. However he has kids so it's cheaper than him living in one of the NYC boroughs and sending the kids to private school which would runs 30-50k per child.

Other than that...gas is hella cheap as it should be to offset living expenses. And yes property tax does raise rent prices for commercial and residential as the buck needs to be passed on to someone....

Edit: I forgot to mention that NJ car insurance ain't cheap either so it all adds up. As for public transportation costs, don't let anyone fool you that it's cheaper than living in NY boroughs. It's just as if not more expensive depending on where you go.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Plus a high sales tax compared to most states.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 21,927 times
Thanks a lot for a lot of good examples and by the way what is sales tax in NJ and is there county sales tax as well?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamX5 View Post
Thanks a lot for a lot of good examples and by the way what is sales tax in NJ and is there county sales tax as well?
7%. Here is a link to all state sales tax rates.

Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
7% but certain areas are designated to be 3.5% sales

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Property taxes are very very high.
The income tax is relatively low for an income tax state... unless you make $150K+ (married file jointly). NJ income tax is a big game hunter tax. IE $150K+
Sales tax is actually rather average. It excludes food, medicine and normal clothes. Many states do not give the clothing exemption.
Costs
Housing Very high tho coming down a bit.
Utilities about 10th highest of 50 states. Oil heat is killer expensive.
Gasoline is relatively cheap.
Groceries seem moderately high.
Generic items are higher than average. I know when I went to a Walmart in KY there were several items that I buy regularly that were ~10% lower. Saw the same thing in OH when I visited the inlaws.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
Sam -

As an example I have a $1200 square foot, 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo in Union NJ. My taxes are $5,600 annually and that does not incluede any land. On top of that, it is approximately $3,840 annually for my association fees, $900 annually for electric, $900 annually for gas ect. In comparison with my cousin in KY that has a 2800 square foot 4 bedroom home on an acre of land and pays $1,800 annually for taxes $150 annually for their home association and nowhere near the same amount for their utilities.

It would be very hard for someone in NJ who is single and doing everythign on their own to own a home if they are making less then $100k.
meanwhile, I have 1800 square feet and 1/3 acre. i pay $9,800 annually for taxes, no association fees, approx $700 annually for electric, $1500 for gas. and your friend in kentucky probably lives in a school district that doesn't come close to mine and what they offer. yeah, my taxes are high, but the services my town and county provide are also high. not all are services i wish to have, but, you get what you pay for. it's no coincidence that the areas with the highest property taxes happen to have the most robust economies in the country.

chew on that.

we all want lower taxes and more services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey