Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM

32 posts, read 123,677 times

Advertisements

We're a young couple moving from NYC (I'm born/raised, husband is from Philly) to NJ, looking for a diverse, not too blue collar, town w/ walkable town center (i.e., not Livingston), very good schools, and some Jewish community. Proximity to Lodi is a must but would also like to be no more than 15/20 mins from the GWB. Previous suggestions have been Fair Lawn, Maywood, Little Falls. Compare these towns, and suggest any others as well. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattie23NYC View Post
We're a young couple moving from NYC (I'm born/raised, husband is from Philly) to NJ, looking for a diverse, not too blue collar, town w/ walkable town center (i.e., not Livingston), very good schools, and some Jewish community. Proximity to Lodi is a must but would also like to be no more than 15/20 mins from the GWB. Previous suggestions have been Fair Lawn, Maywood, Little Falls. Compare these towns, and suggest any others as well. Thanks!!
Out of those towns, I would pick Fair Lawn. I would also look at Glen Rock if I was looking at Fair Lawn, but I don't know what your budget is, GR is more expensive.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Out of those towns, I would pick Fair Lawn. I would also look at Glen Rock if I was looking at Fair Lawn, but I don't know what your budget is, GR is more expensive.
I agree budget would help! I consider Fair Lawn to be pretty blue collar. I live next door in Hawthorne( which I also consider to be very Blue Collar) and there is very little difference in the make up of the towns, other than that Fair Lawn has better schools. In fact I would say that all of the towns you mentioned have a large blue collar populations.

I would also say that if you are looking at Fair Lawn, I would definitely look in Hawthorne, especially the heights area. If your budget is in the $450K + range you can get a much bigger/ better house than any of the areas you mentioned.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 03-03-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,260 times
Maywood is not very diverse and I don't know that there is much of a jewish community.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I agree budget would help! I consider Fair Lawn to be pretty blue collar. I live next door in Hawthorne( which I also consider to be very Blue Collar) and there is very little difference in the make up of the towns, other than that Fair Lawn has better schools. In fact I would say that all of the towns you mentioned have a large blue collar populations.

I would also say that if you are looking at Fair Lawn, I would definitely look in Hawthorne, especially the heights area. If your budget is in the $450K + range you can get a much bigger/ better house than any of the areas you mentioned.

Hawthorne, while certainly not a bad town, is not in the same league as Fair Lawn, and probably wouldn't be super attractive for a family looking for a welcoming environment for Jewish people. They do have a nice unpretentious downtown and some nice affordable areas, but the schools are average at best, and Fair Lawn has more higher-end homes and less super-run-down homes.

Of Fair Lawn, Maywood, or Little Falls, Fair Lawn is the nicest town. While the town still has a sizable blue-collar population, I think the white-collar crowd took over the majority some time ago. Maywood is also nice, and also has a nice (if somewhat small) downtown area, but having to send kids to Hackensack High School lowers the appeal of the town quite a bit. Little Falls is OK, but, like Hawthorne, might not be a great spot for a Jewish family looking for Jewish people/culture, and the schools aren't great.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Little Falls is in a flood zone. Just something to ask your realtor about if you decide to look there.

Maywood is ok if you don't mind being surrounded by malls. The "downtown" area is extremely small and consists of just a handful of stores.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
just go to rockland county there is train service and spring valley is very jewish the funny thing about rockland buses are everywhere there but keep a car just in case

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
just go to rockland county there is train service and spring valley is very jewish the funny thing about rockland buses are everywhere there but keep a car just in case
Why would anyone take a bus if they could drive?

To the OP, Fair Lawn is a better option than Rockland Cty.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Hawthorne, while certainly not a bad town, is not in the same league as Fair Lawn, and probably wouldn't be super attractive for a family looking for a welcoming environment for Jewish people. They do have a nice unpretentious downtown and some nice affordable areas, but the schools are average at best, and Fair Lawn has more higher-end homes and less super-run-down homes.

Of Fair Lawn, Maywood, or Little Falls, Fair Lawn is the nicest town. While the town still has a sizable blue-collar population, I think the white-collar crowd took over the majority some time ago. Maywood is also nice, and also has a nice (if somewhat small) downtown area, but having to send kids to Hackensack High School lowers the appeal of the town quite a bit. Little Falls is OK, but, like Hawthorne, might not be a great spot for a Jewish family looking for Jewish people/culture, and the schools aren't great.
I agree that Fair Lawn does have a much bigger Jewish community, and is overall wealthier. The house costs are similar, you just get more in Hawthorne and there is more diversity in house styles, Fair Lawn is the Cape Cod capital of New Jersey You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between The Heights section of Hawthorne and neighboring Wyckoff. You'd never get any part of Fair Lawn confused with Wyckoff, that's all I'm saying...

To the OP, after rereading your post about looking for a Jewish Community i would recommend Fair Lawn out of the ones you listed. If you could afford it I would recommend Ridgewood or Wyckoff over all of them.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 03-04-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I agree that Fair Lawn does have a much bigger Jewish community, and is overall wealthier. The house costs are similar, you just get more in Hawthorne and there is more diversity in house styles, Fair Lawn is the Cape Cod capital of New Jersey You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between The Heights section of Hawthorne and neighboring Wyckoff. You'd never get any part of Fair Lawn confused with Wyckoff, that's all I'm saying...

To the OP, after rereading your post about looking for a Jewish Community i would recommend Fair Lawn out of the ones you listed. If you could afford it I would recommend Ridgewood or Wyckoff over all of them.
Fair Lawn's not cheap though. I think it gets a rep of being cheaper versus other towns in Bergen County, but I think it's really just that there are more small homes there, therefore cheaper. I don't think it's cheap at all for what you get. Some of the houses there are really small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey