Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,988 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I'm so glad I found this site. I have searched hours of posts getting information and figured why not be direct with my question. NJ is just too big to investigate every feasible part. Union, New Brunswick, Newark, JC...I'm at a loss...

I have been living in Brooklyn NY for 25 years with my family and traveling to NJ for work every morning(5am). Needless to say I'M tired, I have already sold my house and decided to move to NJ. My question is where? We are of hispanic decent and would blend nicely into any type of safe neighborhood.

I have driven mostly on highways through NJ but never through a single neighborhood. I have read a million reviews about many areas but feel as though I'm none the wiser.

I could probably stretch things a bit and afford a larger(pricier) home but would rather not; as my eldest daughter attends a "live on campus" NY college and saving money is always great. It would be my 6 & 15 y/o and my wife and I. What parts of NJ are fairly priced for a 3 BR house($3-400k +/- range), safe neighborhood, decent schools(obviously), comfortable atmosphere and still relatively close to NY(30min+)? Maps, links, pics and recommendations are all very welcome..

Where where where?

Thanks in advance for your answers/comments..and please be as specific as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 05:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnat View Post
Hello All

I'm so glad I found this site. I have searched hours of posts getting information and figured why not be direct with my question. NJ is just too big to investigate every feasible part. Union, New Brunswick, Newark, JC...I'm at a loss...

I have been living in Brooklyn NY for 25 years with my family and traveling to NJ for work every morning(5am). Needless to say I'M tired, I have already sold my house and decided to move to NJ. My question is where? We are of hispanic decent and would blend nicely into any type of safe neighborhood.

I have driven mostly on highways through NJ but never through a single neighborhood. I have read a million reviews about many areas but feel as though I'm none the wiser.

I could probably stretch things a bit and afford a larger(pricier) home but would rather not; as my eldest daughter attends a "live on campus" NY college and saving money is always great. It would be my 6 & 15 y/o and my wife and I. What parts of NJ are fairly priced for a 3 BR house($3-400k +/- range), safe neighborhood, decent schools(obviously), comfortable atmosphere and still relatively close to NY(30min+)? Maps, links, pics and recommendations are all very welcome..

Where where where?

Thanks in advance for your answers/comments..and please be as specific as possible.

do yourself a favor and cross newark off your list, more info is needed before specific places can be suggested. Where do you work and far you care to commute would be good info to have

Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
All the towns you mentioned are not exactly the safest in the state of NJ. I would say that you are looking for a nice family area like the other brunswicks like South Brunswick, East Brunswick, North Brunswick, Edison, and a few others. Those are great diverse communites that are nice and have great schools. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,988 times
Actually the house I looked at yesterday is about 2.5 miles South of Rutgers university..

Old 07-22-2007, 11:40 PM

28 posts, read 102,214 times
Look around Union, but Newark isn't as family friendly as you think.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
It would help to know where in NJ you work, so that can be factored into suggestions for a good place to live.

Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 AM

72 posts, read 326,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It would help to know where in NJ you work, so that can be factored into suggestions for a good place to live.

Bob
yes, but out of the towns you listed, I like Union the best. Newark has one decent part (the ironbound, but I would not invest in it now) and also cross New Brunswick off your list. J.C. is on the rise, but so are the prices in the better areas.

Union is close to NYC and commuting, I think you can find something there in your price range too.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM

26 posts, read 115,833 times
As always, check out Franklin Township (Somerset), NJ.
Wonderfully diverse area, close to shopping and New Brunswick train statio

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novillero View Post
yes, but out of the towns you listed, I like Union the best. Newark has one decent part (the ironbound, but I would not invest in it now) and also cross New Brunswick off your list. J.C. is on the rise, but so are the prices in the better areas.

Union is close to NYC and commuting, I think you can find something there in your price range too.
Why cross New Brunswick off the list? New Brunswick has a nice downtown with tons of new development. The whole city just isn't that bad

Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,887 times
Thumbs down Don't think it's a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnat View Post
Actually the house I looked at yesterday is about 2.5 miles South of Rutgers university..
Hello

I am a female, born and raised in Newark, New Jersey. I'm speaking from the younger generation of Newark. I'm only 21 yrs. old, and I had enough common sense to find a husband who shares the same beliefs as me of Newark, and to move away immediately after having my child.
Newark is nowhere to raise children!!!!!!! Especially if their younger and has not yet found him/herself.
The atmosphere and the people who has been raised there mentalities, will definitely have an affect on those who are weak-minded. There's really no way to escape getting into altercations and passing through gang territories. Especially if your younger and need something from the corner store. And I hope your not wearing the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood. Yes, it's that bad.
The younger generations tend to want to be in the party scene a little more and most of the parties are in gang territories. God forbid, your child wants to go to his/her first house party. My first experience at a house party in Newark was disastrous. Ex:
We were just chilling in the hostess' living room, dancing and enjoying ourselves, not realizing, that we were among gang members. But, it quickly became evident when a fist fight on the front porch of the house, escalated to an opposite gang member chasing someone into the house with gun-in-hand, waving it through the crowd. I gotta admit it's ONE of many scariest times I've encountered while living in Newark.
And, don't get me wrong, if your older, "You can get it too". Here's another example.
One of my grandmother's friends, hince, GRANDMOTHER's friends, was just standing at a bus stop with her grand-daughter. By the way, this happened within the last 3 months. A stolen car jumped the curb and pinned her underneath the car. My aunt happens to work as an EKG tech at University Hospital. She was called to do an emergency EKG on her, someone she knew since being a little girl, and could barely recognize her.
So, I guess what I'm saying is....Yes, Corey Booker is doing his best from what I've heard, but sometimes the best isn't good enough for those who have grown up in an atmosphere where crime is just another part of everday life. Gun shots rang and it's so common, that you just "Hit the deck", and when the shots stop, you get up and "Keep it Moving". I appreciate him wanting to help my home, but honestly I think ,"its a long time coming." No matter what he does, I dont think it's possible to move everyone out of Newark, so, the same knuckle-heads that made me come to a decision of moving my family away from the drama, will be the same knuckle-heads living there I when I go back to visit family. A mentality is hard to be destroyed.
In conclusion, You may want to move your precious family, no sarcasm, somewhere else. Outside of Newark and it's surrounding cities.
Hope you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey