Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 83,624 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a smaller community type place that is a more liberal and healthy crowd. I am already familar with Lambertville, NJ...anyone know any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:20 AM

438 posts, read 965,518 times
It's easier to say where not to go...
warren, sussex, parts of morris and a few of the ones down south...look up a political demographic map of NJ!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Brittany, Thats a new one. Your looking for a health conscious town. Maybe I'm wrong just drive around and if you see loads of fat people than its not health conscious. How would anyone research if a town is healthy or not. I don't think thats reported in the US Census.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,524,009 times
health conscious, go to good old RIdgewood. Has a Whole Foods, affluent so always are healthy, Has Valley Hospital so that shows two things, one a lot of Doctors live there and easy and lots of doctors offices in that town. Plus a huge walkable downtown with tons of ethnic foods and no fast food. Ridgewood NJ there ya go!!!! By the way you can eat your sushi or veggie things and then walk it off!!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
That IS a new one. Montclair is quite liberal, full of health food stores, yoga studios, Whole Foods, places for exercise classes, etc......

Old 11-11-2007, 02:52 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
I would think University towns but there is no true college town in NJ. In certain states- resorty areas are good bets but again not NJ.

You just have to find an area where you can walk alot with nice weather and it's a healthier bet.

The liberal part of the question is hard to answer. It depends on what circles you travel in-in most instances at least.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
That IS a new one. Montclair is quite liberal, full of health food stores, yoga studios, Whole Foods, places for exercise classes, etc......
Montclair is also full of crime. Maybe that's the reason why they're healthy. Running away from the criminals.

Montclair, NJ, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 6. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.

Montclair, NJ, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 6. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.

BTW...These numbers are from City-Data.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
Montclair is a fine town. It may not be the safest in NJ but most of it is fairly safe. I have to say that I don't think living within 60 miles of NYC you are going to find many health meccas. Evironmentally there are too many issues.

The upper income communities tend to have more health food stores and restaurants. If that's what you call healthy than I guess you should look at those places first.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:41 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
What's healthy anyway? I've never heard of an entire town that has a majority of health conscious residents. Just imagine, realtors telling buyers that have to have a physical before buying a house. Montclair is not *full* of crime. There's a small area I would stay away from, but for the most part, it's pretty upscale and safe.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:08 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,524,009 times
Im telling you, they are healthy in Ridgewood, most are tying to live long to enjoy their money. All are cheering little Johnny at RIdgwood HS football games and then running to whole foods. As far as liberal ALL OF NJ IS LIBERAL that one is easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey