Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Im telling you, they are healthy in Ridgewood, most are tying to live long to enjoy their money. All are cheering little Johnny at RIdgwood HS football games and then running to whole foods. As far as liberal ALL OF NJ IS LIBERAL that one is easy.

That's funny... but it must be true because I can never find parking at Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM

17 posts, read 81,961 times
More liberal towns? NJ in general tends to vote for Democrats, however I don't know if that necessarily make us liberal. I really depends on where you go and the people you surround yourself with. I would look at many of the college towns, most, if not all of the cities in NJ vote for Democrats consistently (Newark, Camden, Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City,Paterson, etc...However I don't know if it makes them liberal), and I would also look at Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City (lots of young professional transplants from the suburbs, typically liberal in their views, and health conscience).

I find it interesting that someone who I am assuming considers themselves, "liberal" is looking to move to a town made up of mostly, "liberals". Liberals are people who adhere to the ideology of liberalism, correct? Liberalism emphasizes equality of opportunity, human rights, freedom of thought and speech, and the FREE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS. Among other things, of course. So I find it curious that someone, again who I am assuming considers themselves as liberal, would try to surround themselves with people who think like them and act like them. Maybe this person is looking for something along the lines of Cuba?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Good point. And most people in this neck of the woods have no idea if most of their neighbors are liberal.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM

438 posts, read 965,260 times
Montclair is ok in most parts, stay away from the border by Bloomfield.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 PM

15 posts, read 122,476 times
i agree with ridgewood. but it's pricey. oakland is nice as well

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 83,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey79 View Post
I find it interesting that someone who I am assuming considers themselves, "liberal" is looking to move to a town made up of mostly, "liberals". Liberals are people who adhere to the ideology of liberalism, correct? Liberalism emphasizes equality of opportunity, human rights, freedom of thought and speech, and the FREE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS. Among other things, of course. So I find it curious that someone, again who I am assuming considers themselves as liberal, would try to surround themselves with people who think like them and act like them. Maybe this person is looking for something along the lines of Cuba?
Whether you like it or not "liberal" towns are the ones that are full of art galleries, health food stores, yoga studios, are gay friendly, environmentally concious...you won't find that kind of atmosphere in a "right" or conservative town. Just saying.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Brittany, Thats a new one. Your looking for a health conscious town. Maybe I'm wrong just drive around and if you see loads of fat people than its not health conscious. How would anyone research if a town is healthy or not. I don't think thats reported in the US Census.
LOL JM - I would have chimbed in early but I had to run out for a few more boxes of Devil Dogs and some whole milk for my nestle's quick.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittany493 View Post
Whether you like it or not "liberal" towns are the ones that are full of art galleries, health food stores, yoga studios, are gay friendly, environmentally concious...you won't find that kind of atmosphere in a "right" or conservative town. Just saying.
Hmmmm...... My dh and I are members of the Philly art museum. We love Whole Earth (in Princeton), Whole Foods, the organic section of Wegman's. my dh introduced me to yoga, we recycle, use reusable shopping bags, wear birkenstocks, we know and are friendly with plenty of people who are gay, we had a completely natural birth with midwives..... and we are hard core political conservatives in a very liberal state. I think you are looking for the crunchy, natural living lifestyle. Try Princeton or even Pennington.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Everything you are looking for has Oregon written all over it!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,533 times
Highland Park, New Jersey is a very liberal little town between Princeton & New York. It's a small town, yet surrounded by an urban, fast paced rat race. But we love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey