Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times

Advertisements

Snobs in NJ? No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,923 times
I'd say neither. Both towns are full of stuck up, entitled asses who treat anyone "below them" like garbage. But if that's your thing, I'd pick Millburn for the train and proximity to neighboring towns with decent amenities. Millburn's downtown is small, pretentious and boring (not even a good pizza place in town) but again, if that's your thing, it wins over Tenafly. And yes, many people in Tenafly are trying to block the expansion of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (which currently does not reach anywhere in Bergen) over the old barely used Conrail (I think CSX now) that see a few trains a week. Scared, sad, sheltered people in that town.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,494 times
Having grown up in Tenafly and seeing no posts with actual content (except bitterness about the lobbying against the light rail extension), figured I'd de-lurk and give the pertinent info (nothing on Millburn otoh, never been there).

The major two pros of the town are the commute by car (lightening fast, since you can skip most of the traffic to the bridge by taking local roads rather than the highway) & bus (although few people use that), and one of the best local public school systems in the country.

The minor pros are a quaint, pleasant downtown that still has a CVS/grocery, general access to Bergen county (on the whole a great place), the JCC, and a vibrant heavily jewish/korean/chinese community (which is nice if you're a member of one of those groups, and also nice if you're not, since that pretty much guarantees the schools [and thus also property values] will remain excellent into perpetuity).

The major con of the town is price. Even the cheaper parts of the town are very expensive.

The minor cons are the lack of rail access (minor instead of major because the car commute is so good), and the fact that the eastern hill (which is outright rich, most of the town is upper-middle-class) does have some people who are a bit snobby, but, not to a huge degree (it's less than a quarter of the town, and a good chunk of the rich folk are still pretty down to earth).

For the OP, I think the deciding factor for you will/should probably be how much rail commuting matters to you. For people in general, the issue is children: the town is very worth it if you have kids and want to give them a pleasant place to grow up and strong education, but, not nearly worth the price if you don't.

P.S. -- as an aside since several people brought it up, despite the issue being completely irrelevant, I read about the proposed light rail and it makes a ton of sense why the town helped kill it. It would have been a 3-seater into manhatten so that it could be directed passed some politically-connected planned development in JC, which would have made it far slower than current commute options -- who wants a train in their town that would take so long to get where most people want to go (relative to driving or the bus) that almost no-one would use it? All the negatives, absolutely zero positives. An extension that went directly to secaucus or hoboken (thus only one transfer to reach the city) would have been hugely supported by the locals. The usefulness of public transit is purely determined by the route it takes.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Having grown up in Tenafly and seeing no posts with actual content (except bitterness about the lobbying against the light rail extension), figured I'd de-lurk and give the pertinent info (nothing on Millburn otoh, never been there).

The major two pros of the town are the commute by car (lightening fast, since you can skip most of the traffic to the bridge by taking local roads rather than the highway) & bus (although few people use that), and one of the best local public school systems in the country.

The minor pros are a quaint, pleasant downtown that still has a CVS/grocery, general access to Bergen county (on the whole a great place), the JCC, and a vibrant heavily jewish/korean/chinese community (which is nice if you're a member of one of those groups, and also nice if you're not, since that pretty much guarantees the schools [and thus also property values] will remain excellent into perpetuity).

The major con of the town is price. Even the cheaper parts of the town are very expensive.

The minor cons are the lack of rail access (minor instead of major because the car commute is so good), and the fact that the eastern hill (which is outright rich, most of the town is upper-middle-class) does have some people who are a bit snobby, but, not to a huge degree (it's less than a quarter of the town, and a good chunk of the rich folk are still pretty down to earth).

For the OP, I think the deciding factor for you will/should probably be how much rail commuting matters to you. For people in general, the issue is children: the town is very worth it if you have kids and want to give them a pleasant place to grow up and strong education, but, not nearly worth the price if you don't.

P.S. -- as an aside since several people brought it up, despite the issue being completely irrelevant, I read about the proposed light rail and it makes a ton of sense why the town helped kill it. It would have been a 3-seater into manhatten so that it could be directed passed some politically-connected planned development in JC, which would have made it far slower than current commute options -- who wants a train in their town that would take so long to get where most people want to go (relative to driving or the bus) that almost no-one would use it? All the negatives, absolutely zero positives. An extension that went directly to secaucus or hoboken (thus only one transfer to reach the city) would have been hugely supported by the locals. The usefulness of public transit is purely determined by the route it takes.
That part of NJ mainly commutes to Hudson County / Lower Manhattan so it would be 2 seats, and your being selfish and not thinking of the surrounding towns. The Town can't kill it , and form what i'm told Christie isn't...... Tenafly is the only town opposing it , the rest are supporting it , Cresskill wants it....so Tenafly might lose stations while Cresskill gains stations. The LRT connects into the Regional Rail and PATH system.... It should be slightly faster , not slower. How do you know , no one will use it? The state and Numerous groups place it at 30,000 ....alot of my friends along the line look forward to using it.... The Truth is , there will never be a one seat ride.....its to expensive...even when the West Shore line is restored that will be 2 seats min.... Everytown along the line should see a decent Property Value increase and population growth.....along with Urban Renewal...which that part of the county could use to a small extent...

Last edited by DarkWolf; 02-27-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That part of NJ mainly commutes to Hudson County / Lower Manhattan so it would be 2 seats, and your being selfish and not thinking of the surrounding towns. The Town can't kill it , and form what i'm told Christie isn't...... Tenafly is the only town opposing it , the rest are supporting it , Cresskill wants it....so Tenafly might lose stations while Cresskill gains stations. The LRT connects into the Regional Rail and PATH system.... It should be slightly faster , not slower. How do you know , no one will use it? The state and Numerous groups place it at 30,000 ....alot of my friends along the line look forward to using it.... The Truth is , there will never be a one seat ride.....its to expensive...even when the West Shore line is restored that will be 2 seats min.... Everytown along the line should see a decent Property Value increase and population growth.....along with Urban Renewal...which that part of the county could use to a small extent...
I was going to make a full response, but don't want to take the derail further, mentioning it to start was probably a mistake .

I guess all I'm saying is, having lived in Tenafly, I can understand why many/most people in the town (and also those around it, including, yes, Cresskill) would be against the extension purely due to the proposed route (and by association relative travel times to Manhattan [regardless of what part thereof] compared to existing bus/car options) and a lot of the negative responses here aren't driven by any real knowledge of the area, but rather by people that are annoyed about the whole light rail issue.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I was going to make a full response, but don't want to take the derail further, mentioning it to start was probably a mistake .

I guess all I'm saying is, having lived in Tenafly, I can understand why many/most people in the town (and also those around it, including, yes, Cresskill) would be against the extension purely due to the proposed route (and by association relative travel times to Manhattan [regardless of what part thereof] compared to existing bus/car options) and a lot of the negative responses here aren't driven by any real knowledge of the area, but rather by people that are annoyed about the whole light rail issue.
Well they need to open there minds and get out more , Bus and car congestion is getting to a unhealthy point....you can't widen 1/9 so the LRT makes sense for Jersey City / Lower Manhattan commuters... I think if the town was given more info on the project they wouldn't be against it so much.....like other towns that have opposed projects they end up costing the state more $$$ and hurt surrounding towns look at the stalled MOM network..... The Truth is form what i know all towns are in support except Tenafly , Tenafly is the only town that has an Issue. The Towns south and North have alot to gain form this line....they have developments that are coming because of the line..... I think Tenafly has no more room for Development.....but opposing the line is the wrong way to go.... What happens when Fuel prices go up? Its not like this is a new line , the line is already in place....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey