Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,957,494 times

Advertisements

I am really curious about this... I would like it more for learning self-defense and discipline... do any of you know what form would be best and maybe some good schools in Northern NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,398,397 times
If you want him to learn something useful, avoid the chains and the places that focus on tournaments and trophies- that covers most of the karate and tae kwon do schools. When they train for tournaments, they learn to move in, tap the opponent lightly to score a point, and then step back- in the real world, that'll get you knocked on your ass when the other guy doesn't stop just because you tapped him.

I'd look for either a kung fu (san soo kung fu if you can find it), krav maga, or brazilian ju jitsu school- he'll learn discipline and how to defend himself in the real world.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 PM

148 posts, read 639,569 times
My son took tae kwon do at his school (they offered during after care and it is apart of the camp scheldue). Like bob said, there are no tournaments or trophies but there is a presentation, where they show what they have learned to the parents (the kids do not fight each other or anyone else). some advance in level (get different colored belt and certificate) while those who have not earned it do not. The focus is more on learning discipline and following instruction (one little boy laughed duirng the presentation and goofed around/he was not promoted)...my son is 4 going on 5 so the self defense is not really all that serious as of now...the name of the school is shim academy in roselle

Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd look for either a kung fu (san soo kung fu if you can find it), krav maga, or brazilian ju jitsu school- he'll learn discipline and how to defend himself in the real world.
Jujutsu is better than brazilian jui-jitsu imho, especially as jui-jitsu is secondhand by way of judo, and meant for single opponents, while techniques shown in traditional japanese jujutsu allows the handling of many opponents

Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,339,193 times
No do Judo, it covers jacket wrestling which is more real world than folkstyle wrestling, and it teaches him to escape pins, and avoid staying on his back or on being on ground

He only needs to do it until he gets to a certain level, once there he can pretty much use defensive grappling quite effectively to his ripe old age

If you take a look a lot of the best Brazilian jujitsu practitioners, you will find that interestingly enough a lot did judo in their formative years

Once he has his basic grappling down, he can switch to striking which takes a little more chutzpah to pull off effectively

San Shou would be good once he has his basic wrestling down

Peewee football is also a great way to teach about takedowns

There really are no good san shou schools in NJ however, but we do have lots of good football

Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
No do Judo, it covers jacket wrestling which is more real world than folkstyle wrestling, and it teaches him to escape pins, and avoid staying on his back or on being on ground

He only needs to do it until he gets to a certain level, once there he can pretty much use defensive grappling quite effectively to his ripe old age

If you take a look a lot of the best Brazilian jujitsu practitioners, you will find that interestingly enough a lot did judo in their formative years

Once he has his basic grappling down, he can switch to striking which takes a little more chutzpah to pull off effectively

San Shou would be good once he has his basic wrestling down

Peewee football is also a great way to teach about takedowns

There really are no good san shou schools in NJ however, but we do have lots of good football
Did you mean DO Judo?

BTW, this is for my daughter! I want her to be able to stand up for herself.

I had a friend who was a woman who studied martial arts her entire life, she was attacked in a subway system once and got away - the identified the man who attacked her because they found her heel in his chest. Great story no? Sadly, she's not with us any longer (unrelated of course...) so I can't ask for her advise.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 PM

if it is a girl then she cannot play football

So go with judo

if she is gonna be attacked by a man she needs to stay off the ground

Standup jacket wrestling is quite important and needs to be mastered first

she is gonna need to learn how to pull off ungentlemanly strikes, like eye gauges, groin strikes, but the jacket wrestling part is basic and needs to be understood

Some good schools in NNJ are:

Kokushi Dojo in the Wychoff YMCA, two female US Olympians came from that school recently

Tech Judo in North bergen, it has lots of children there for her to workout with

Cranford JKC in Cranford, has produced several olympians

I also would not recommend karate, and TKD, because those are flashy styles

I did TKD as a teen because I thought it would give me cool kicks and strikes, but I had already learned, on the street, how to fight before ever doing any martial arts, so doing something like TKD was fine for me cuz I just wanted something to add

and wrestling/grappling is something that is very natural and inherent in most people

People with no fighting experience will naturally grab and hold each other

so it is best to foster that basic instinct first before moving on

Old 07-18-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj chutzpah View Post
if it is a girl then she cannot play football

so go with judo

if she is gonna be attacked by a man she needs to stay off the ground

standup jacket wrestling is quite important and needs to be mastered first

she is gonna need to learn how to pull off ungentlemanly strikes, like eye gauges, groin strikes, but the jacket wrestling part is basic and needs to be understood

some good schools in nnj are:

Kokushi dojo in the wychoff ymca, two female us olympians came from that school recently

tech judo in north bergen, it has lots of children there for her to workout with

cranford jkc in cranford, has produced several olympians

i also would not recommend karate, and tkd, because those are flashy styles

i did tkd as a teen because i thought it would give me cool kicks and strikes, but i had already learned, on the street, how to fight before ever doing any martial arts, so doing something like tkd was fine for me cuz i just wanted something to add

and wrestling/grappling is something that is very natural and inherent in most people

people with no fighting experience will naturally grab and hold each other

so it is best to foster that basic instinct first before moving on
thank you!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Judo is the absolute best martial art for any person to learn, and in New Jersey, former USA Olympic coach Yoshisada Yonezuka is the one to learn from. He has produced several Olympians, one World Champion and lots of satisfied moms and dads (both as judoka and parents of them). He is in Cranford, 908-276-3544.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM

now it is important that she has kids her age to workout with

She can learn a lot from older kids, but when it comes to sparring/randori she does not stand a chance, and will not have any fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey